dallen

Senior Tech
Aaron Rodgers is whining about the coin flip now? :lol

Jiggyfly

Banned
Report: Sam Bradford asked for $25M a year from Eagles in contract talks
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
January 20, 2016 5:23 pm ET

Quarterbacks have all the leverage in the NFL when it comes to contract negotiations. But Sam Bradford's reported demands from the Eagles were a bit out of whack with the current market.

Appearing on NFL Insiders Wednesday, ESPN's Jim Trotter reported, via The Big Lead, that Bradford wanted a whopper from Philly in his most recent contract chatter, asking for $25 million a year when discussing a contract with Chip Kelly.

"One of the reasons Chip didn't try and extend Sam right away, I'm told, is Tom Condon, Bradford's agent, came in asking for $25 million a year," Trotter said. "Well, that's not going to fly in Philadelphia. Now the question becomes what is Sam going to want going forward?"

We don't have any way of knowing when this reported $25 million demand was made, although reports did emerge in August about Bradford and the Eagles working on a contract extension.

Kelly traded Nick Foles for Bradford at the start of the 2015 league year before revamping his roster in free agency. (Aside: Chip's GM moves led to his downfall, but let's not pretend trading Foles for Bradford mattered in the long run vs. the alternative.)

Many people said Kelly could keep Bradford healthy for a full season and the quarterback could thrive in the Eagles offense. Bradford showed flashes at times but wasn't the answer in Philly, throwing for 3,725 yards and only 19 touchdowns against 15 interceptions. He made some extremely questionable decisions throughout the season, particularly in the red zone, and also dealt with a shoulder injury that caused him to miss two games.

If Bradford had blown up and threw for, say, 27 touchdowns and just two picks (numbers Foles achieved in just 10 games in 2013) with great yardage numbers and a 10-win season for Philly, maybe this discussion is different.

Maybe. Kelly would still be coach, the Eagles would be full of optimism and Bradford's future would be subject to serious scrutiny, for much different reasons.

But Bradford getting $25 million from the Eagles with no production on the field just wasn't going to happen.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Uhh, okay.

Cotton

Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Eagles seem to be doing a lot of contract work.

D

Deuce

Doesn't Lane Johnson kinda suck?
I dunno if he sucks, but he's certainly average. That's a lot of money tied up into average.

Then again, they gave Ertz quite a bit of money and he's basically putting up aging Jason Witten numbers on offense without the good blocking aspect.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dunno if he sucks, but he's certainly average. That's a lot of money tied up into average.

Then again, they gave Ertz quite a bit of money and he's basically putting up aging Jason Witten numbers on offense without the good blocking aspect.
I think of him as a Doug Free type RT.

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Damn. I was hoping he would walk.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, they are seriously doing work on new contracts. Such an odd time of the year for that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm pretty sure that's a fake Les Bowen account. Espn was fooled by it last week with fake numbers for lane Johnson.

Edit: yep, it's fake. Good work, iamtdg. :unsure

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Here's a story on the fake Les Bowen tweet from last week...

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2016/01/espn-got-fooled-by-a-fake-les-bowen-tweet.html

ESPN Got Fooled by a Fake Les Bowen Tweet
Jim Adair - January 29, 2016

The Tweet above, sent out by a fake Les Bowen account, was bound to fool someone. Sure, Twitter is tricky, but a $90 million contract should have been the first sign to check for the blue checkmark or, you know, this:

That sort of Tweet, retweeted by Eagles writer Martin Frank, can easily fool some on Twitter. This time it got the Worldwide Leader:

ENHANCE:

ACCORDING TO THE PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS! The WWL*itself, specifically whoever wrote/edited/published this post without thinking, “Hey, let’s double-check maybe that Lane Johnson is gonna be the highest paid tackle (guaranteed money) in NFL history.” Let me speak to ESPN directly here, because I don’t feel like looking up who wrote that post:

Hey ESPN, how are you? Here’s a tiny little tip: Wait for a second source. And if you don’t want to do that, check for the verified mark or the follower count or the Twitter bio or THAT THEY’RE SAYING LANE JOHNSON WILL BE THE HIGHEST PAID TACKLE IN THE NFL HISTORY.

Have a good one.
Lane Johnson’s deal is worth a lot, but less than was falsely reported.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Eli Manning being the starting QB for either Pro Bowl team really casts a big shadow over whether the game has any fucking meaning anymore.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm pretty sure that's a fake Les Bowen account. Espn was fooled by it last week with fake numbers for lane Johnson.

Edit: yep, it's fake. Good work, iamtdg. :unsure
Not real sure how they did that. The twitter handle was @lesbowen.

Top Bottom