Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I posted this last year, but it is still pretty fun: http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock

Here's my first 4 round mock:

1. QB JARED GOFF CALIFORNIA
2. DT KENNY CLARK UCLA
3. WR JOSH DOCTSON TCU
4. RB ALEX COLLINS ARKANSAS
That'd be a great draft. Really like Clark. Doctson would be a steal in the 3rd, but he'll most likely go in the 2nd. Collins would be nice in the 4th. One glaring problem, not realistic...no LB or TE.

dallen

Senior Tech
That'd be a great draft. Really like Clark. Doctson would be a steal in the 3rd, but he'll most likely go in the 2nd. Collins would be nice in the 4th. One glaring problem, not realistic...no LB or TE.
Just be glad Hunter Henry went at the end of the 2nd or it would be an all Arkansas all night Draft

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I stopped after a 3 round haul of Carson Wentz, Andrew Billings, and Derek Henry.

:hawfap

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I did 3 as well and got:

1: R1P4
QB CARSON WENTZ
NORTH DAKOTA STATE
2: R2P3
WR MICHAEL THOMAS
OHIO STATE
3: R3P4
DT SHELDON RANKINS
LOUISVILLE

Jiggyfly

Banned
Who thought the Chiefs would invest as much as they did in Alex Smith in terms of trading for him and giving him the contract they gave him?

Bradford is somewhat like Smith in terms of being guys who are accurate in the short to intermediate, and guy who can have success with a strong team around them when they aren't asked to win games on their own, but ultimately they're limited QB's. He's definitely not as good as Smith but I bet you Pederson looks at him as a guy who he can get to play an Alex Smith-type role in his offense without having to trade an entire draft+more to move up for a QB.

And if they do re-sign him, it'll be for at least 15-18 a year.
Bradford is nothing like Smith.

Smith has been healthy and has a track record of actually winning games in the NFL.

Bradford has neither thing to hang his hat on.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The first I did had Connor Cook going 2nd overall, so take it with a grain of salt.
Yeah. Depends on which site you pick to go with for the rankings. I went with fanspeak the first time and Miller the second one. Miller's seemed to be more realistic as far as mocks out there now.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, the Browns are drafting 2nd.
I think you missed the Connor Cook part. Or are you saying the Browns are dumb enough to take him that high?

dallen

Senior Tech
Kiper moved Wentz ahead of Lynch on his new big board. I posted the full thing and his new postion rankings over in the Kiper thread

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Kiper moved Wentz ahead of Lynch on his new big board. I posted the full thing and his new postion rankings over in the Kiper thread
I saw that, and I'm not sure it's so much that Wentz has moved up as Lynch has dropped. Most don't have either of them as top 10 talent. That's the part that concerns me. I don't want to draft a QB at #4 just for the sake we need a QB. I know QB's will normally go higher than they probably should, but I don't want to use a top 5 pick on 15-20th rated talent. Taking a QB 5 or so spots higher than projected is one thing, but reaching nearly 15 spots, about half the first round, is another.
While we need a QB, we also need to maximize the value of our pick. It's not every year we are in the top 5 and hopefully won't be again anytime soon. So we need to get the best talent we can. Hope at least on of these solidifies his spot as one of the top 2 QB's along with Goff and moves up into the top 10 on most boards.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I don't put much stock in that crap. Has Rogers been a mid first round pick? has Brady been a 6th round pick during his career. If the player is the one you want take him where your pick is if he's close. The more I lok at the QB stuff Wentz or Lynch would be my picks and 2 years from now you're hopefully golden.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't put much stock in that crap. Has Rogers been a mid first round pick? has Brady been a 6th round pick during his career. If the player is the one you want take him where your pick is if he's close. The more I lok at the QB stuff Wentz or Lynch would be my picks and 2 years from now you're hopefully golden.
Obviously there are surprises and not every player ends up playing to the level they were drafted at. But players are ranked and boards are put together for a reason. If our board looks like Kipers now and Wentz and Lynch are 18 and 19, then why the heck would you take one at #4 bypassing about 15 players you have ranked higher? If you think one of them is the next Rodgers or Brady then they won't be 18 or 19 on your board.

It's just amusing when people say they don't put stock in player rankings and if you like a guy then take him and it doesn't matter when. Then why build a board if we'll just going to ignore value and randomly reach for players?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Obviously there are surprises and not every player ends up playing to the level they were drafted at. But players are ranked and boards are put together for a reason. If our board looks like Kipers now and Wentz and Lynch are 18 and 19, then why the heck would you take one at #4 bypassing about 15 players you have ranked higher? If you think one of them is the next Rodgers or Brady then they won't be 18 or 19 on your board.

It's just amusing when people say they don't put stock in player rankings and if you like a guy then take him and it doesn't matter when. Then why build a board if we'll just going to ignore value and randomly reach for players?
Rankings are just someone's opinion. It may have merit but there is also such a thing as need to be considered. The BPA philosophy ignores the situation that a certain position need to be filled with the BPA for that position. When a team is in that state then to me it is valid to consider the need of the team above ranking players that may be available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because QBs are just that much more important then any other position. Its not like the QB who is 15th-20th on your board is going to actually last anywhere close to 15th or 20th. So that means if you want the guy you have to take them high.

Any other position is different. But in the NFL teams live and die by the QB and the good ones are rare. It's simple supply and demand.

Maybe it will make you feel better when Kipers final rankings have Wentz in the top 5 to 10. I honestly could care less. Position importance doesn't get taken into account when scouts are grading these players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom