Coach Firing/Hiring Thread...

Jiggyfly

Banned
Graham has already played in a 4-3 and was average, if anything his career took off a little bit once they went to a 3-4. Cox will play DT, not DE, and if they do start a line with Cox, Logan and Thornton I wouldn't worry about them getting any kind of pass rush. Barwin has basically never played in anything but a 3-4, and has been nothing more than average outside of 2 fluke seasons, I also don't see him being athletic enough to play LB in a 4-3.

Their defense is already average at best in a 3-4, and that's being kind honestly, with a bunch of guys with no experience and/or don't fit in a 4-3. I don't see how their defense is anything better than average, and more than likely it ends up being pretty terrible, unless they have some kind of fluke season where the team is energized by a new staff and then falls off a cliff the next year.
Grahm was a rookie in 3/4 you really have no idea if he has actually turned the corner and cox could play SDE as well as DT and he is a difference maker.

You basically have called anything good these guys have done good as flook, I disagree I think they are some guys there with some upside especially playing a mutltiple front type D like Shwartz employs.

Barwin played a lot of coverage in Houston and this is not a tampa 2 type D that asks LB to to a lot.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Grahm was a rookie in 3/4 you really have no idea if he has actually turned the corner and cox could play SDE as well as DT and he is a difference maker.

You basically have called anything good these guys have done good as flook, I disagree I think they are some guys there with some upside especially playing a mutltiple front type D like Shwartz employs.

Barwin played a lot of coverage in Houston and this is not a tampa 2 type D that asks LB to to a lot.
The only guy I mentioned as a fluke was Barwin, and yes, he has had 2 fluke seasons when his career sack numbers go: 3.5, 11.5, 3, 5, 14.5, 5.5. Not to mention he's going on 30 and never played in a 4-3.

What you are willfully choosing to ignore in your inane attempt to play Devil's advocate is that their defense already sucks in a 3-4, so please tell me how going to a 4-3 is going to help when the vast majority of their defense doesn't have any experience in the scheme and/or aren't ideal fits for it.

And I don't give two shits what he did in Buffalo with more or less the best DL talent possible.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I see a pretty good 4-3 front.

Grahm and Cox and the ends, logan and Thornton at tackle.

Curry and Barwin as rotational DE's.

Barwin, Alonso and Kendricks at LB.

Now that LB core is suspect because of injury but there are some nice pieces for a 4-3 and Schwartz runs more of a 46 anyway.
Yep, except expect Hicks to be the middle linebacker. If Alonzo returns he'll probably be a part time player. They LOVE Hicks. With the obvious caveat that new coaches could feel totally different, Hicks was killing it before he got hurt.

Also I think Cox would be a DT. Ends would probably be Graham and Curry. I think they would need to upgrade DE and SOLB.

But yeah overall the general sentiment around here is the Eagles current personnel are more suited to the 4-3, and I'd agree other than Barwin.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yep, except expect Hicks to be the middle linebacker. If Alonzo returns he'll probably be a part time player. They LOVE Hicks. With the obvious caveat that new coaches could feel totally different, Hicks was killing it before he got hurt.

Also I think Cox would be a DT. Ends would probably be Graham and Curry. I think they would need to upgrade DE and SOLB.

But yeah overall the general sentiment around here is the Eagles current personnel are more suited to the 4-3, and I'd agree other than Barwin.
Forgot about Hicks he was playing very well.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That Eagles fan presents himself well

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
That was painful.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It sounds like the Eagles landed Schwartz.

Genghis Khan

Did not know that but neither should break the bank and Philly has cap room.
Philly has a little bit of cap room but not a lot, and has a lot of holes to fill. If they throw any kind of money at Bradford they might not have any left after that. And they have to break the bank for Cox coming up soon.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree, that gives me some pause.
I swear man, between you and schmidty it's like you people who live in/grew up in Philly are scared of your own shadow when it comes to the Eagles.

It's not 2004 anymore, McNabb isn't going to come out of the tunnel to shred up Kareem Lattimore, Hugh Douglas isn't going to smash Quincy Carter after he beats some schlub like Rob Pettiti around the edge.

The Eagles have no QB, an average OL where their LT is nearly finished, no WR's, their best RB might be a scat back who is in his 30's and a defense that was average at best in a 3-4 is now supposed to be some scary unit as a 4-3 because HOF Jim Schwartz is here to save the day?

Try this on for size; 25th, 11th, 13th, 30th, 29th, 31st, 8th, 2nd. Those were his points allowed rankings as the Titans DC, they were 2nd in the league the year before he took over.

And this; 32nd, 19th, 23rd, 27th, 15th. Those were his units rankings in points allowed as the Lions HC.

Those units YPG rankings were almost identical.

Yea, he had a great defense in Buffalo in 2014, but let me know when he has a DL in Philadelphia with 4 Pro Bowlers on it.

Point is that while Schwartz is a solid DC, in no way shape or form do I think he's good enough to turn a defense with very questionable talent/scheme fits into a defense good enough to be a formidable, top 10 type of unit. You guys are acting like they just hired Jim Johnson in his prime because he was a recent HC and had a good year with the best DL in football in 2014.

Bottom line, the Eagles are an 8 win team at best, give or take a game, and if Romo is reasonably healthy they are nowhere near the same caliber of team as the Cowboys.

Genghis Khan

I swear man, between you and schmidty it's like you people who live in/grew up in Philly are scared of your own shadow when it comes to the Eagles.

It's not 2004 anymore, McNabb isn't going to come out of the tunnel to shred up Kareem Lattimore, Hugh Douglas isn't going to smash Quincy Carter after he beats some schlub like Rob Pettiti around the edge.

The Eagles have no QB, an average OL where their LT is nearly finished, no WR's, their best RB might be a scat back who is in his 30's and a defense that was average at best in a 3-4 is now supposed to be some scary unit as a 4-3 because HOF Jim Schwartz is here to save the day?

Try this on for size; 25th, 11th, 13th, 30th, 29th, 31st, 8th, 2nd. Those were his points allowed rankings as the Titans DC, they were 2nd in the league the year before he took over.

And this; 32nd, 19th, 23rd, 27th, 15th. Those were his units rankings in points allowed as the Lions HC.

Those units YPG rankings were almost identical.

Yea, he had a great defense in Buffalo in 2014, but let me know when he has a DL in Philadelphia with 4 Pro Bowlers on it.

Point is that while Schwartz is a solid DC, in no way shape or form do I think he's good enough to turn a defense with very questionable talent/scheme fits into a defense good enough to be a formidable, top 10 type of unit. You guys are acting like they just hired Jim Johnson in his prime because he was a recent HC and had a good year with the best DL in football in 2014.

Bottom line, the Eagles are an 8 win team at best, give or take a game, and if Romo is reasonably healthy they are nowhere near the same caliber of team as the Cowboys.
Umm what?

Genghis Khan

Anyway, just finished listening to Pederson's press conference. Pederson comes across VERY meekly. The room pretty much ate him up, holy crap. Almost shocking how weak Pederson came across. We'll see how it plays out, but I'll be pretty surprised if Pederson is successful.

Also, Laurie comes across really full of shit. He claimed among other things that Pederson was the number one choice and also that they started the process with 25 candidates. Yet they interviewed all of 4 outside candidates. :lol

The Philly media was pretty brutal though. They asked Pederson how it felt to not be the first choice. :lol

They also asked how much input he had on KC's last drive against the patriots. Pederson said he was calling the plays so he was in control of the offense. Reporter: "what took so long?" :lol

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's because he had the best DL in football with literally 4 Pro Bowlers.
Absolutely but keep in mind one of the DE's on that D-line was a draft bust who broke out in that system and defense (Jerry Hughes). Kind of reminds me a little of the Graham.

Now Mario William and Marcel Dareus are just studs from day one in the NFL.

dallen

Senior Tech
Anyway, just finished listening to Pederson's press conference. Pederson comes across VERY meekly. The room pretty much ate him up, holy crap. Almost shocking how weak Pederson came across. We'll see how it plays out, but I'll be pretty surprised if Pederson is successful.

Also, Laurie comes across really full of shit. He claimed among other things that Pederson was the number one choice and also that they started the process with 25 candidates. Yet they interviewed all of 4 outside candidates. :lol

The Philly media was pretty brutal though. They asked Pederson how it felt to not be the first choice. :lol

They also asked how much input he had on KC's last drive against the patriots. Pederson said he was calling the plays so he was in control of the offense. Reporter: "what took so long?" :lol
Andy Reid said they practiced handling the end of the game like that and did it on purpose so New England wouldn't have any time left if the Chiefs were able to take the lead.

It didn't make any sense to me either

Top Bottom