2016 Senior Bowl Stuff...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett cursing is like some nerd dropping F-bombs trying to appear cool.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Dak compared to Newton, McNabb prior to Senior Bowl
(Don't let Jerry read this)

STARKVILLE - Former college football stars took their first steps to the NFL on Tuesday. The Senior Bowl opened in Mobile, Alabama, attracting scouts from around the league.

They jotted down every quarter-inch and half pound. The interviews are just as extensive in college football’s premier all-star game.

Few players in attendance have more to potentially gain than Mississippi State’s Dak Prescott.

“He’s middle of the pack, but the Senior Bowl is going to be huge for him,” Bleacher Report's lead NFL Draft writer Matt Miller said.

Prior to the Senior Bowl, Miller ranked Prescott as a fourth-round talent. NFL.com ranks him as the seventh-best quarterback prospect in the draft. Four of the quarterbacks ahead of Prescott — Carson Wentz (North Dakota State), Jacoby Brissett (N.C. State), Brandon Allen (Arkansas) and Jake Coker (Alabama) — are in Mobile this week.

“What’s crazy about him is, a year ago, I would have never thought he would be taken seriously as a pro prospect,” Miller said. “I told the guy from the Senior Bowl over the summer, ‘I would really like to see him play H-back. Move him around.’”

In the fall, the 6-foot-2 signal caller completed 66 percent of his passes with five interceptions in 477 attempts. As a junior, Prescott completed 62 percent of his passes with 11 interceptions in 396 attempts.

“He really took the next step this year as a passer,” Miller said. “His accuracy was a lot better. But I thought his decision-making was faster. He was staying in the pocket more, doing things that an NFL quarterback would do.”

Prescott improved from his junior season with a mediocre offensive line at best and no running game. He lost three offensive linemen and a 1,000-yard rusher from 2014. MSU’s quarterback also led the team in rushing with 588 yards as a senior.

Elite defenses like Alabama and Ole Miss teed off on Mississippi State's offensive line and sacked Prescott 16 times. Under the pressure, Prescott completed 62 percent of his passes for 554 yards and two touchdowns, along with two interceptions.

“Prescott has impressed evaluators with his leadership skills and football IQ, but questions persist about his ability to thrive in a pro-style passing game,” draft analyst Bucky Brooks wrote on NFL.com. “With a week to show scouts that he can make every throw in the book with timing and precision, Prescott has a chance to shoot up the charts with a strong performance in Mobile.”

NFL.com compares Prescott to Tavaris Jackson (Seattle Seahawks) or a less polished Donovan McNabb, who led the Philadelphia Eagles to a Super Bowl appearance in 2005.

During the Belk Bowl, former Mississippi State cornerback Johnthn Banks texted Miller describing Prescott as a “poor man’s Cam Newton.” Newton, who played at Auburn, has led the Carolina Panthers to this year's Super Bowl.

“People will overreact to that. He’s not really refined as a passer, but you can see the talent is there,” Miller said. “He needs to be able to develop that and work on that. The fact that he didn’t throw many interceptions this year is really good for him. It shows that he’s capable of improving.”

For a lot of teams, this week marks their first opportunity to talk to Prescott one-on-one. There are few players in the draft that grade better than Prescott regarding intangibles, including leadership.

If Prescott wows scouts on the field, he’ll close the deal in the meeting rooms.

“I think people will fall in love with him,” Miller said. “He’s a guy’s guy. Everybody wants to be friends with that guy. That’s definitely going to help. For quarterbacks more than anything, your ability to relate to your teammates is a huge thing."

Contact Michael Bonner at mbonner@jackson.gannett.com. Follow @MikeBBonner on Twitter.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Flavor of the moment. Like when Jerry drafted Quincy Carter thinking he was the next McNabb.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yep. That's why I'd prefer us taking a QB in the first than having Jerry get all excited over the 'next' Cam like he did with QC thinking he was another McNabb.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak looks nothing like Cam physically. I guess they are both black. The South Squad QB's are pretty feh in my opinion.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep. That's why I'd prefer us taking a QB in the first than having Jerry get all excited over the 'next' Cam like he did with QC thinking he was another McNabb.
No QB in the first? Then skip it.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
No QB in the first? Then skip it.
That's what I just said in another thread. If we don't take a QB in the first I wouldn't go QB in the 2nd-3rd because it'd probably be a wasted pick (Cook, Prescott, Cardale, Hackenberg). Far better talent at other positions in those rounds. The most I'd do is wait til the 4th or 5th for someone like Hogan. But I don't think he'd ever be a good starting QB, maybe just a solid backup.

So if we pass on QB in the first I'd prefer waiting til next year to get our future QB, even if we take someone on day 3 this year. If we suck again we could get Kaaya of Miami or Deshaun Watkins. Otherwise maybe have a chance for Chad Kelly of Ole Miss or whoever else stands out between now and then.

But one way or another we need to draft a QB in the first either this year or next.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It is only out of hand because it conflicts with what you have been told to this stage.
It's out of hand because the total evaluation has not been finished.

Nobody should be all in on taking him at 4 at this point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The East Carolina TE, Bryce Williams.

Dude is like a Viking.

Don't ask me why I thought he was black.
I'm actually just impressed that you had a picture in your head of an obscure TE from East Caolina.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:tippytoe

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just seeing Garrett spit and clap in the practice is infuriating.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Just seeing Garrett spit and clap in the practice is infuriating.
It's just as infuriating seeing Jerry yakking it up with Stephen. I guarantee you that idiot is talking about how great this is getting our coaching staff in there, how finishing 4-12 is going to turn into an advantage for us, etc.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom