AP: NFL more forceful about proposed Texas 'bathroom bill'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
NFL more forceful about proposed Texas 'bathroom bill'
3:20 PM CT
Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas -- The NFL sharpened its warning to Texas on Friday about a bathroom bill targeting transgender people, suggesting for the first time that the football-obsessed state could miss out on hosting another Super Bowl if the proposal is enacted.

"If a proposal that is discriminatory or inconsistent with our values were to become law there, that would certainly be a factor considered when thinking about awarding future events," league spokesman Brian McCarthy said in response to an email question about the Texas bill, which was filed last month.

Although the NFL released a statement about inclusiveness earlier this month before the Super Bowl in Houston, it didn't address whether the bill could put future such events at risk for the state.

The NFL has selected future Super Bowl sites through 2021, none of which are in Texas. Dallas hosted the game in 2011, and three Super Bowls have been played in Texas since 2004, which is second only to Florida.

Under the Texas bill, people would be required to use bathrooms that correspond to the sex on their birth certificate. It's similar to a North Carolina law that prompted the NCAA to pull seven championship events from that state last year and is backed by Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, a powerful figure in Texas who had cited the Houston Super Bowl as proof that big events will stick around.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott has been quieter on the proposal and, noticeably, never mentioned bathrooms while laying out his legislative agenda last month.

Following the NFL statement, Patrick's office signaled it was remaining firm and was committed to "making sure that every Texan is welcomed" at sporting events.

"Despite persistent misinformation in the media, under Senate Bill 6, all Texas teams will be able to set their own policies at the stadiums and arenas where they play and hold their events. There is no conflict with the NFL's statement today and Senate Bill 6," Patrick spokesman Alejandro Garcia said.

Spokespeople for the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans did not immediately return emails seeking comment.

The NCAA has declined comment so far since the Texas bill was filed. Since 2004, Texas has hosted more combined Super Bowls, NBA All-Star Games (three) and NCAA men's Final Fours (five) than any other state. San Antonio is scheduled to host another Final Four in 2018, and Dallas is hosting the women's NCAA Final Four in April.

Unlike the North Carolina law, the Texas proposal stops short of some provisions the NCAA singled out when defending its decision to relocate events this past fall. That includes language that invalidates local equal-rights ordinances, although there is separate legislation in Texas that could have similar effects.

The NFL has issued similar warnings before about state legislation that critics say invites discrimination. In 2015, Georgia Republican Gov. Nathan Deal vetoed a "religious liberty" bill that the NFL suggested could result in Atlanta being passed over for Super Bowls.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
NFL more forceful about proposed Texas 'bathroom bill'
3:20 PM CT
Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas -- The NFL sharpened its warning to Texas on Friday about a bathroom bill targeting transgender people, suggesting for the first time that the football-obsessed state could miss out on hosting another Super Bowl if the proposal is enacted.

"If a proposal that is discriminatory or inconsistent with our values were to become law there, that would certainly be a factor considered when thinking about awarding future events," league spokesman Brian McCarthy said in response to an email question about the Texas bill, which was filed last month.

Although the NFL released a statement about inclusiveness earlier this month before the Super Bowl in Houston, it didn't address whether the bill could put future such events at risk for the state.

The NFL has selected future Super Bowl sites through 2021, none of which are in Texas. Dallas hosted the game in 2011, and three Super Bowls have been played in Texas since 2004, which is second only to Florida.

Under the Texas bill, people would be required to use bathrooms that correspond to the sex on their birth certificate. It's similar to a North Carolina law that prompted the NCAA to pull seven championship events from that state last year and is backed by Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, a powerful figure in Texas who had cited the Houston Super Bowl as proof that big events will stick around.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott has been quieter on the proposal and, noticeably, never mentioned bathrooms while laying out his legislative agenda last month.

Following the NFL statement, Patrick's office signaled it was remaining firm and was committed to "making sure that every Texan is welcomed" at sporting events.

"Despite persistent misinformation in the media, under Senate Bill 6, all Texas teams will be able to set their own policies at the stadiums and arenas where they play and hold their events. There is no conflict with the NFL's statement today and Senate Bill 6," Patrick spokesman Alejandro Garcia said.

Spokespeople for the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans did not immediately return emails seeking comment.

The NCAA has declined comment so far since the Texas bill was filed. Since 2004, Texas has hosted more combined Super Bowls, NBA All-Star Games (three) and NCAA men's Final Fours (five) than any other state. San Antonio is scheduled to host another Final Four in 2018, and Dallas is hosting the women's NCAA Final Four in April.

Unlike the North Carolina law, the Texas proposal stops short of some provisions the NCAA singled out when defending its decision to relocate events this past fall. That includes language that invalidates local equal-rights ordinances, although there is separate legislation in Texas that could have similar effects.

The NFL has issued similar warnings before about state legislation that critics say invites discrimination. In 2015, Georgia Republican Gov. Nathan Deal vetoed a "religious liberty" bill that the NFL suggested could result in Atlanta being passed over for Super Bowls.
:picard Here we go again.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
So when is the NFL going to allow transgenders to play football, coach, or referee?

They say the law is discriminatory and against their values, but where are they practicing these values?

I've never seen transgendered people be championed like they are now, and I'd like to know where it stops.

Eventually bestiality and incest will be promoted the way this gay-boy stuff is. Enough is enough, good god.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
So when is the NFL going to allow transgenders to play football, coach, or referee?

They say the law is discriminatory and against their values, but where are they practicing these values?

I've never seen transgendered people be championed like they are now, and I'd like to know where it stops.

Eventually bestiality and incest will be promoted the way this gay-boy stuff is. Enough is enough, good god.
At least [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] will have a safe place to pee.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
At least [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] will have a safe place to pee.
I have had just about enough of your insolence, buddy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wonder where the League office gets off thinking the can intervene into and supersede laws of a state. The owners need to get their heads together and tell the Commissioner who he works for.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Thats it NFL...keep doing shit to drive down your already-historically low ratings.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats it NFL...keep doing shit to drive down your already-historically low ratings.
This whole battle over transgender bathroom issues is just tired out. I saw something about a 7 year old that just knew he was a transgender. Like GTFO of here. A 7 year old has no ability to make that judgment. It's time for adults to stop pushing these stupid agendas onto children. Just let them be. And frankly I just don't care about who is using the bathroom with me. I see no reason to make a law about it. And I see no reason for the NFL to have a hissy fit about it either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This whole battle over transgender bathroom issues is just tired out. I saw something about a 7 year old that just knew he was a transgender. Like GTFO of here. A 7 year old has no ability to make that judgment. It's time for adults to stop pushing these stupid agendas onto children. Just let them be. And frankly I just don't care about who is using the bathroom with me. I see no reason to make a law about it. And I see no reason for the NFL to have a hissy fit about it either.
The NCAA is threatening to pull the ACC and Final 4 from NC too.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Agree.

I will admit that I'm more tuned in to the whole subject because I have a daughter, and obviously a wife too.

I just think its a loophole for pervs to dress up as women and go strolling into the womens bathroom. Its happened numerous times already.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Normally I would have never chimed in on this subject, because I have always felt that what you do in your own life is up to you (unless it directly affects me)... but now that I have 2 young nieces, I am all for any legislation that would prevent some perv/pedo from dressing up like a female and going into a woman's bathroom with the intention of doing who knows what to a child, and if questioned, only needs to say that they "identify as being a woman" to justify their presence. I believe that there are people in this world who legitimately suffer from these issues, but I also believe there are a lot of sick people who will just use this issue for their own twisted devices.

Basically... If you have a dick, stay the fuck out of women's bathrooms.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Part of Society and politically correct politicians have gone over the edge in some matters and this is one of rhem. Sometimes you just have to draw a line and say that's it. You can't accommodate everyone's weird lifestyle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And, that's just as stupid.
Yeah, it's ridiculous how transgender has become this massive battle of choice. And somehow that battle has now boiled down to bathrooms. It's ridiculous. Who would have thought that our society would wage a discrimination battle over going number 1 and 2. The NFL and NCAA have lost their minds. Everyone is so eager to look progressive that they take extreme measures for small issues.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, it's ridiculous how transgender has become this massive battle of choice. And somehow that battle has now boiled down to bathrooms. It's ridiculous. Who would have thought that our society would wage a discrimination battle over going number 1 and 2. The NFL and NCAA have lost their minds. Everyone is so eager to look progressive that they take extreme measures for small issues.
This is it in a nutshell.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
To hell with the NFL.

I hope TX sticks to its guns and passes this bill anyway.

I don't care what a man feels he is inside. If he was born a man, then I don't want him in the same bathroom as my daughter.

Top Bottom