AP: NFL more forceful about proposed Texas 'bathroom bill'

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It is crazy that wanting bathrooms to be occupied with the correct sex is now a right wing issue. Not too long ago Bill Clinton was putting Don't Ask Don't Tell onto place.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It is crazy that wanting bathrooms to be occupied with the correct sex is now a right wing issue. Not too long ago Bill Clinton was putting Don't Ask Don't Tell onto place.
And rightly so. He was President of the USA . It is appropriate for the head of government to seek out social justice issues. Conversely it is inappropriatee for the head of a private enterprise such as the Commissioner of the NFL to attempt to unsurpe his personal preferences in opposition to state laws.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
But if they're pushing for it they're doing it with the backing of the owners who do own the stadiums...
I've often wondered about that, as most owners shouldn't actually OWN the stadiums since so much public money is used to finance it.

How billionaire Jerry Jones can get Texas to pay for half of AT&T Stadium but then he gets total ownership just boggles the mind.

2233boys

Not So New Member
But if they're pushing for it they're doing it with the backing of the owners who do own the stadiums...
The Conservatives only want business lobbying government when it fits their narrow ideology.

Personally, I don't think any business should have that much power to influence our government, it is exactly what has gotten us into the situation we are in today.

It got us Trump and lead to Bernie's Surge. Corporations and the mega rich have more rights and powers in this country than the rest of the citizenry and it is only going to get worse. Each president including this one fills their cabinet with the same type of corporate big wigs, CEO's, and donors. Sad

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It got us Trump and lead to Bernie's Surge. Corporations and the mega rich have more rights and powers in this country than the rest of the citizenry and it is only going to get worse.
"Powers" I agree, "rights" I'm not sure about.

If you're saying wealth creates influence, well then welcome to the human race :)

As for this case, the NFL has consistently spoken out against discrimination of any kind. It could be considered a slippery slope by some, but this is the same line of thinking that helped pass observance of MLK's birthday in Arizona.

Again I applaud them for being consistent and standing up for people who are flat out being hated on.

If people want more influence, they need to lend their voice and money to a PAC or super PAC. If it's really important, then it should be worth some amount of time and/or money.

It's not perfect system, but it's the best humanity has come up with to this point. Especially in a country of 350+ million.

2233boys

Not So New Member
"Powers" I agree, "rights" I'm not sure about.

If you're saying wealth creates influence, well then welcome to the human race :)

As for this case, the NFL has consistently spoken out against discrimination of any kind. It could be considered a slippery slope by some, but this is the same line of thinking that helped pass observance of MLK's birthday in Arizona.

Again I applaud them for being consistent and standing up for people who are flat out being hated on.

If people want more influence, they need to lend their voice and money to a PAC or super PAC. If it's really important, then it should be worth some amount of time and/or money.

It's not perfect system, but it's the best humanity has come up with to this point. Especially in a country of 350+ million.
It if is a f*cked system, and it not democracy. Complacency has lead to it gathering power, and complacency will continue it. The rich and powerful thank you.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It if is a f*cked system, and it not democracy. Complacency has lead to it gathering power, and complacency will continue it. The rich and powerful thank you.
Isn't the democracy doing its job? Good or bad it seems that this issue is being addressed. Let the states figure it out and that's the way it should be, right?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Isn't the democracy doing its job? Good or bad it seems that this issue is being addressed. Let the states figure it out and that's the way it should be, right?
This is correct.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, whether states or country we're talking republics, not democracies.

In Texas you have 27 million people trying to get 181 legislators and a governor to do what they want.

To influence a single representative your opinion is 1 out of 180000 (if you're a resident), so of course you need to gather some other kind of juice besides your lone self sending an email.

Lobbying, donations, corporate/PAC power, email-campaigns, protests, advertising, etc-- all will be involved.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, whether states or country we're talking republics, not democracies.

In Texas you have 27 million people trying to get 181 legislators and a governor to do what they want.

To influence a single representative your opinion is 1 out of 180000 (if you're a resident), so of course you need to gather some other kind of juice besides your lone self sending an email.

Lobbying, donations, corporate/PAC power, email-campaigns, protests, advertising, etc-- all will be involved.
So you would prefer that some other geographical area make the determinations. How about us Texas folks making laws where you live? :art

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So you would prefer that some other geographical area make the determinations. How about us Texas folks making laws where you live? :art
I was responding to an earlier post that kind of said our democracy is slipping away in favor of outside and other kinds of influence.

I'm saying it's always been about how to influence the lawmakers and executive branch. We actually vote on very few things.

27 million people certainly can't propose or execute anything. Maybe one day in the future we'll have open-source, hack-proof "GovExec" software that biometrically connects to all citizens and runs everything, but...

The reality today is NRA is probably a lot more influential than the NFL and possibly any state governor. They threaten legislators, governors, and presidents alike.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I was responding to an earlier post that kind of said our democracy is slipping away in favor of outside and other kinds of influence.

I'm saying it's always been about how to influence the lawmakers and executive branch. We actually vote on very few things.

27 million people certainly can't propose or execute anything. Maybe one day in the future we'll have open-source, hack-proof "GovExec" software that biometrically connects to all citizens and runs everything, but...

The reality today is NRA is probably a lot more influential than the NFL and possibly any state governor. They threaten legislators, governors, and presidents alike.
Maybe so but their focus is narrow. The NRA is about guns therefore they become the primary lobbyist for guns at large but they don't have a dog in the Right tio Life or Freedom of planned parenthood, etc., etc. Lobbyist aren't bad as a concept. Everyone is part of a special,interest group so lobbyist represent a good deal of the overall American concerns. Obviously some are more powerful than others but the representation is in relation to public interest. I don't know why lobbyisy have become such a hated word because by in large you and I are the beneficiaries of their efforts and we pay them nothing.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Maybe so but their focus is narrow. The NRA is about guns
Yep. And fortunately the NFL has focused on inclusion and anti-discrimination.

Chaff like the bathroom bill literally helps no one and only fuels hatred and discrimination.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chaff like the bathroom bill literally helps no one and only fuels hatred and discrimination.
It helps me and my daughter. So there's that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I don't think the NFL has or can utilize o Lobbyist since they don't represent the greater good for the public. It's not a function that affects public preference toward legal or policy issues.

It is a private system that is closed to public access except for what is allowed to be shown to the public. As to social issues the League can administer its own policies and procedures for its members as long as they aren't contrary to public law.

Top Bottom