AP: NFL more forceful about proposed Texas 'bathroom bill'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I hope TX sticks to its guns and passes this bill anyway.
Abbot isn't one to budge on stuff like this. I'm fairly sure it will pass.

Cotton

Staff member
Texas governor says NFL is “walking on thin ice” with Super Bowl threat
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 15, 2017, 3:16 PM EST

Everything may indeed be bigger in Texas, including the bravado of its politicians when talking about targets that are safely out of town.

After the NFL suggested last week that future events in Texas could be threatened if they pass a “bathroom bill” that would limit the rights of transgender Texans, Texas governor Greg Abbott fired back at the league.

He did so in a friendly environment, appearing on conservative talk show host Glenn Beck’s program, allowing him to jangle his spurs with great vigor.

“The NFL is walking on thin ice right here,” Abbott said, via the Texas Tribune. “The NFL needs to concentrate on playing football and get the heck out of politics.”

Last week, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said proposed laws that are “discriminatory or inconsistent with our values” would “certainly be a factor” for considering future events in the state, such as Super Bowls like the one that just left Houston.

But Abbott fired back when given the opportunity to discuss an issue he’s previously been very quiet on, after letting lieutenant governor Dan Patrick take the lead on the proposed legislation which would require transgender persons to use the bathrooms corresponding with their genetic identity rather than how they identify.

“For some low-level NFL adviser to come out and say that they are going to micromanage and try to dictate to the state of Texas what types of policies we’re going to pass in our state, that’s unacceptable,” Abbott told Beck. “We don’t care what the NFL thinks and certainly what their political policies are because they are not a political arm of the state of Texas or the United States of America. They need to learn their place in the United States, which is to govern football, not politics.”

For one thing, McCarthy is a rather high-level adviser. For another, it’s not dissimilar to veiled threats by the league toward governments in the past. Georgia governor Nathan Deal vetoed a “religious liberty” bill which many considered discriminatory, and lo and behold, Atlanta was awarded a Super Bowl shortly thereafter.

But Abbott was on a roll, so he threw some more red meat into the cage, suggesting that Texans were no longer as fond of the NFL because of Colin Kaepernick’s national anthem protests.

“I cannot name or even count the number of Texans who told me that they were not watching the NFL,” Abbott said. “They were protesting the NFL this year because of the gross political statement allowed to be made by the NFL by allowing these players, who are not oppressed, who are now almost like snowflake little politicians themselves unable to take the United States national anthem being played.”

It’s great fodder for the base back home, and it will be years before the Super Bowl rotation goes back to Texas anyway. But Abbott staked out of a strong position, taking that “Don’t Mess with Texas” spirit to a level that Jerry Jones and Bob McNair may be uncomfortable with one day.

I love me some Abbott.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
“For some low-level NFL adviser to come out and say that they are going to micromanage and try to dictate to the state of Texas what types of policies we’re going to pass in our state, that’s unacceptable,” Abbott told Beck. “We don’t care what the NFL thinks and certainly what their political policies are because they are not a political arm of the state of Texas or the United States of America. They need to learn their place in the United States, which is to govern football, not politics.”
He's right though. I'm sick of politics being injected into everything. There's a reason the old saying used to be that you don't talk politics or religion with strangers -- because whatever you say, you're going to piss people off. This is the same way.

Just shut up and play football and don't worry about the Twitter SJWs or CNN trashing you.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's right though. I'm sick of politics being injected into everything. There's a reason the old saying used to be that you don't talk politics or religion with strangers -- because whatever you say, you're going to piss people off. This is the same way.

Just shut up and play football and don't worry about the Twitter SJWs or CNN trashing you.
The NFL making a fortune off of the State of Texas should probably keep their mouths shut.

Cotton

Staff member
The NFL making a fortune off of the State of Texas should probably keep their mouths shut.
My guess is that they will back off of this. If they truly do push it, Goodell is more of a moron than we already knew.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guess is that they will back off of this. If they truly do push it, Goodell is more of a moron than we already knew.
You don't bite the hand that feeds you. They'd lose far more fans then they gain by taking that stand against "discrimination" as they put it. Which translates to far more in lost revenue as a result. I think it's a bit obnoxious for them to speak on it in the first place.

The NFL acting like they are some sort of morally superior entity is a joke.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Oh we do both all the time. You sure don't want to discuss politics and religion with your friends because you might loose them. Here we just piss each other off and hope they will quit talking to us. :lol

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
DId you know that they now have a name for people that like to have sex with nature? Ecosexuals. And, no, I am not kidding.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
Love that man. :towel

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, nothing like stomping on people's rights when your team is doing it.
You mean like what would happen if men were allowed in women's bathrooms? I agree 100%.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Let's face it. It's not about people's right at all anymore. It's about which side of the poloraztion you fall on. Every view and opposing view is always contentious with the end result being more polorazation.

Everyone goes down the same side of the chute no matter the content.

townsend

Banned
What a fucking tool.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I applaud the NFL for fighting discrimination.

99% of transgender people have lived through a lot of pain, uncertainty, shame, and frustration to get to where they are in life.

So let's pile on and make them feel ashamed to use the fucking toilet. God damn.

Anyone who picks on them or draws up laws to specifically discriminate against them is borderline pitiful.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I applaud the NFL for fighting discrimination.

99% of transgender people have lived through a lot of pain, uncertainty, shame, and frustration to get to where they are in life.

So let's pile on and make them feel ashamed to use the fucking toilet. God damn.

Anyone who picks on them or draws up laws to specifically discriminate against them is borderline pitiful.
Don't disrespect Grand Moff Abbott. HE will pass what laws he sees fit in his jurisdiction.

Cotton

Staff member
Don't disrespect Grand Moff Abbott. HE will pass what laws he sees fit in his jurisdiction.
As well he should. It is his state after all.

D

Deuce

As well he should. It is his state after all.
I don't agree with the idea of the law, but I do with this premise. Don't like living under this scrutiny? Don't live in Texas or North Carolina or anywhere that has it. Basic Republican ideal.

Top Bottom