Sturm's Draft Series

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Putting all of them in one place...

Monday, January 11, 2016

2016 Draft Profile #1 - Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/01/11/sturm-see-memphis-qb-paxton-lynch-2016-nfl-draft-preview-series

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can. Read more about the draft project here.

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis - 6'7, 245 - RS Junior

Like the kid who grabs the biggest present first on Christmas morning, I am guilty of starting the 2016 Draft Project by grabbing one of my favorite players to watch this past college football season, Memphis' big QB, Paxton Lynch.

Lynch is one of the QBs who will be examined closely over the next four months to decide if he is worthy of one of those top spots at the very start of the draft for a team that needs its hope for the next decade. Perhaps, you are aware that one of those teams shopping this aisle closely is your Dallas Cowboys.

We start with his height. He is 6'7. Once upon a time, we decided that QBs must be between 6'2 and 6'5. Just about everyone was either in that group or they were labeled as "not ideal" if they were shorter or taller. But, we are a bit more open-minded these days for the Joe Flacco's (6'6) and the Russell Wilson's (5'10) if they prove to be capable of getting it done. Now, here comes 6'8 Brock Osweiler in Denver to soften the premise of Lynch at 6'7.

But, he doesn't move like an awkward tall QB usually does. In fact, he moves really well. He prefers to move and make plays with his feet to open up opportunities with his arm. He also, in some ways like Cam Newton, looks like he will be your best short yardage back option on 3rdand 1. But the best part of Paxton Lynch is his arm.

What I liked:There is no question that if you grab most Lynch games (I used primarily his games this fall against Ole Miss, Temple, and Houston), you will be very impressed with his ability to make every throw in the book. He makes a few throws against Mississippi that are flat-out ridiculous, even for anyone on Sundays. With those wide college hash-marks, he appeared to be demonstrating he could throw the NFL out-route to the far side on a rope to anyone evaluating his work. He generally stays out of trouble, which is a very difficult trick against ranked opponents, to make incisive throws with small windows and high velocity, while almost never getting into trouble with defenders intercepting balls. He threw just 4 interceptions against 28 touchdowns. He moves his feet and then gets the footwork right before he throws on many occasions, but also seems to imitate Aaron Rodgers on the run where he often throws the ball without resetting them. This is not advisable long-term, but it didn't seem to cause too many accuracy issues on the 200 plays I focused on. He throws the slant on 3rd down like he was born to do it. Ball placement is generally fantastic. He keeps plays alive constantly with mobility and then delivers strikes. He is also strong with keeping his eyes downfield and also setting up screens and using the mesh point to cause issues for defenders.

What I did not like:He does have some accuracy issues with his over-the-top motion where it seems like he gets the release point wrong on occasion. This is usually a shorter pass where he has to get the velocity right and on these he sometimes will bounce a pass or airmail it. This seems correctable with some mechanics instruction. He will, oddly for a man his height, get passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, which will lead to some chaotic outcomes at times. Additionally, when Jared Goff and Carson Wentz were putting on unreal performances in their final college games which both happened to be in Dallas-Fort Worth, Lynch was having his worst day in a few seasons at the Birmingham Bowl in the rain against Auburn. That was the first time many Cowboys' fans saw him, and their impressions were not positive. It is also true that many will recoil at how much shotgun he plays. But, he really makes it work.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: This is a real prospect to get excited about and to dig heavily into his material. He seems to have all of the tools and a set of intangibles that have coaches raving positively on his behalf. He is big, mobile, confident in all throws, able to manipulate coverage with his eyes, healthy, and competitive. You might beat him, but he won't stop coming at you. For a guy who was unranked and unrecruited (1 offer) out of high school, he has really turned himself into something.

If I am Dallas and he is available for selection, after doing this study I am left with 2 conclusions - although so much can change and so many others must be considered, first. 1) I absolutely would be excited to leave this draft with a prospect as good as Lynch and 2) I would want 12-24 months of not having to play him, if possible. I believe he is going to be a very impressive pro, but I would like to buy as much time as possible to prepare and develop him for the incredibly hot seat he would assume in Dallas after Tony Romo.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com.

Posted by Sturminator at 8:20 AM 0 comments

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tuesday, January 12, 2016

2016 Draft Profile #2 - Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/01/12/sturms-2016-nfl-draft-preview-series-see-clemsons-de-shaq-lawson

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can. Read all about the Draft Project Here.

Shaq Lawson, Edge, Clemson - 6'3, 270 - Junior

Last night with the whole world watching, Shaq Lawson played hurt and played well against Alabama to continue his surge up draft lists and into the mix in the 1st round and higher. He is a player that led the nation in tackles for loss and finished (with the benefit of an extra game) 2nd in the nation in sacks. This type of explosive production is rare and worth paying top dollar for in the draft, although, for every productive college pass rush type who succeeds and is just as successful at the next level (Von Miller is a good example), there are a half dozen or more who are never close to duplicating that elite production on Sundays. Conversely, some of the more productive players on Sundays (JJ Watt, for instance - who has had 17.5 sacks in a season 3 times already in 5 NFL seasons, never had more than 7 sacks at Wisconsin), never showed us this consistent production in the college game. Therefore, finding the edge rusher who is what we think he is complicated business in scouting rooms, but vital to avoid the cautionary tale of the blown top pick.

Lawson is part of a loaded Clemson defensive front that populated the NFL draft in the spring of 2015, but may have been even more dominant this season. They have many big and athletic players who thrive on penetration and swarming in packs to devour running plays and creating pass pressure. I used mainly the Clemson games against Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, as well as the Alabama game to examine him closely.

What I liked: You cannot help but appreciate Lawson's emotional streak and his motor that make him very attractive and in the middle of many big plays as part of that Clemson scheme. There is no question he has a knack for knowing where the play is coming and figuring out how to cut it off at the pass. He has very long arms which are able to create space and control over the lineman he is locked up against and with that he can move him around to free himself to make a play. He has an inside spin move that sometimes works very well. He is good against the run and funnels plays back inside like you might prefer from an outside linebacker in a 3-4. He also stands as a LB or can get in the 3-point stance of a DE without any dropoff in performance. Very strong at penetrating gaps at the snap. Has a fine bulrush with strength. Finds plays and then makes them on against all levels of competition.

What I did not like:He seems to not quite have the type of NFL burst you want from an edge rusher. There is not tons of juice to chase down plays or have a twitched up burst through traffic. He seems to tire as the game goes on -perhaps from playing so hard every snap- but by the end of the game, he often looks drained. The questions for him are going to be about that 1st step ability and quickness off the snap. Some might even theorize that he flirts with lining up offsides to compensate and get a quicker jump. He occasionally will get overpowered against runs right at him, but generally holds up pretty well. It is also worth noting that he spent a good part of 2015 trying to play through various knocks and bruises. He is tough, but those accumulate and can slow a man down.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys:There is no doubt Lawson is a fine prospect and his value is going to be greatly determined by his testing scores at the Combine. His tape passes the tests as does his production. The question will be whether he can demonstrate to teams that his quickness and burst are in the proper range, because those traits don't improve with age. Then, for me, the question becomes in a 4-3 like Dallas runs, would he fit the role of a DeMarcus Ware/DeMarcus Lawrence type (weak side RDE) or is he more of an Anthony Spencer? Obviously, those are three exceptional football players, but Ware is the type of guy you would value in the top half of Round 1, whereas Spencer might be in that next group from 20-50 as a strong-side defensive end who is much more of a complete defensive end than an elite pass rusher. There is nothing wrong with that prototype because jack-of-all-trades defensive ends are always needed and useful. But, if you think you are getting DeMarcus Ware or Von Miller, then 12-15 sacks a year in the NFL is a reasonable hope and expectation. I just don't think Lawson will ultimately be near that ceiling when forced to play against NFL left tackles.

He is a heck of a player and some team will draft him on Day 1 of the draft and make him an opening day starter, most likely in a 4-3. It will be interesting to see how he does this spring to cement his status in this upcoming draft. There is much work for Lawson to do this spring.
You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wednesday, January 13, 2016

2016 NFL Draft Profile #3 - Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/01/13/bob-sturms-2016-nfl-draft-profile-series-see-baylors-dt-andrew-billings

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can. To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, Click Here.

Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor - 6'2, 310 - Junior - #75

Draft season is certainly about finding physical freaks who are a cut above the field in a way that suggests he might be a special player. In looking for these players, sometimes we don't have to look very far.

Consider the case of Waco's Andrew Billings. He is a guy who needs no introduction to the college football enthusiast who follows the Big 12. Billings is a very large man who has weight lifting records. He is as strong a player as you will encounter and that means as a defensive tackle he is not being moved out of the middle. This means that you are going to have a very difficult time running between the tackles on him. I read about his high school records in the Charleston Gazette:

But, then, with this strength and ability to stand his ground against double teams, what if that same player has impressive quickness and maybe even something that borders on speed? There is a play in his 2014 season (below) against the Kansas Jayhawks when he dropped into pass coverage and was caught on a screen pass to the RB to his left. Any DT in football would then be lost in the dust of this RB as he heads up field. This certainly happened initially, but Billings - who weighs at the very least 310 - tracked down the RB to demonstrate his full arsenal of freakish physical tools.

He plays the nose tackle position either straight over the center (0 technique) or right off his shoulder and in the A-Gap (1 technique). This means that it is uncommon to see top picks given to this position because teams often do not value this particular position this high in the draft. There have been some success stories at the top of the 1st round (Vince Wilfork went pick #21 to New England, Haloti Ngata to Baltimore at pick #12, Dontari Poe to Kansas City at #11), but for the most part, teams will take 3-techniques at this spot, but not the bigger anchor at the nose. Why? Because you can often fill that position well enough with a less costly asset. In other words, if we are going to spend this much on a player who is always going to be double teamed, he better be amazing.

What I liked:He can really put some great film out there for you to marvel at his prowess. He is simply so gifted that you can see the dread of the opposing interior linemen that must deal with him all afternoon. Teams quickly adjust their game plan to the flanks to avoid him and his top Greco-Roman wrestling style where his upper body strength is going to beat anyone in front of him. He is quick in tight spaces and able to shed a blocker or simply jump through a gap and destroy a play before it gets started. Often, a player of his size simply opens a hole for a linebacker to feast on, but Billings often opens the hole and then makes the play himself. He is a true bull in a china shop and has a fork-lift maneuver where he can rag doll a lineman out of the way. He plays in all situations, which is a concern moving forward where this type of player usually does not play on 3rd downs or 2-minute drills. Perhaps, Billings could stay on the field. At his best, he is amongst the most dominant defenders in the country.

What I did not like:There isn't much not to like, other than the fact that football does allow an offense to game-plan to avoid destroyers at DT to a certain extent. There are a few positions on the field that can sometimes be avoided if need be, and the man lined up right over center can apply from time to time. In fairness, he does have stretches where you don't notice him and it is hard for a player that actually gets triple teamed by a guard-center-guard combo to make substantial plays on a regular basis. Further, as the season goes on, you did see him slow down some as surely the constant chop blocks caused some aches and pains on the lower body. This will not cease in the NFL.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: In 2014, so many of us started watch Shawn Oakman for the draft (he changed his mind and stayed in school) and were drawn to the DT inside who turned out to be Billings. This is a Grade A prospect who looks like he belongs in the 1stround. Further, the Cowboys have not had anything more than a grunt as their 1-technique since moving to the 4-3 defense. A player like Billings would be fantastic.

However, we also know that the Cowboys and Rod Marinelli do not believe this is a position to invest in heavily based on the Shariff Floyd story of in the 2013 draft. That position may have adjusted since then, but the Cowboys have a list of players they do not value in the 1st round and this position has usually been on that list.

I think this player is going to be in the Top 32 picks and will be a force inside for a long time. But, it would seem like that might be the best fit in a 3-4 defense as a nose tackle with freakish attributes. Do yourself a favor and marvel at his high school highlight film by clicking here. It is the best 4 minutes you will spend all day.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com

dallen

Senior Tech
For anyone that doesn't know, Sturm posts all of his articles - including his draft profiles - on his blog: http://sturminator.blogspot.com/. I was trying to read them on the DMN site, but his blog is a lot less cluttered

Jiggyfly

Banned
This a real funky draft, players are starting to pop up that seem to be pretty good and could definitely help the team but don't seem worthy of the number 4 pick.

I have come around on wanting a QB at 4 but as before I ponder risk reward aspect with these QB's I am starting to hope that these QB's start getting really coveted and we can get a nice bounty by moving down.

With the Rams moving to L.A. I could see them getting desperate for a young QB to build around and give that new fan base some hope, that could give us a nice haul while putting us in that prime DE, DT, LB range.

I would also be very open to Elliot at that spot.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This a real funky draft, players are starting to pop up that seem to be pretty good and could definitely help the team but don't seem worthy of the number 4 pick.

I have come around on wanting a QB at 4 but as before I ponder risk reward aspect with these QB's I am starting to hope that these QB's start getting really coveted and we can get a nice bounty by moving down.

With the Rams moving to L.A. I could see them getting desperate for a young QB to build around and give that new fan base some hope, that could give us a nice haul while putting us in that prime DE, DT, LB range.

That's because there is no clear delineation between most of these prospects between 4 and 8 or 6 and 12 or 8 and 15. So with no real clear top prospects you get differing opinions and a volatile top half of the draft.

This is the argument that I made 2 months ago, that in a draft devoid of clear cut elite prospects (Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, Julio Jones, Marcell Dareus types), we might as well just roll the dice on a QB who is right in the mix with most of the top prospects.

Trading down for a bounty would be great, although if Wentz has a great Senior Bowl I think I'd rather just take him at 4 and be done with it.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's because there is no clear delineation between most of these prospects between 4 and 8 or 6 and 12 or 8 and 15. So with no real clear top prospects you get differing opinions and a volatile top half of the draft.

This is the argument that I made 2 months ago, that in a draft devoid of clear cut elite prospects (Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, Julio Jones, Marcell Dareus types), we might as well just roll the dice on a QB who is right in the mix with most of the top prospects.

Trading down for a bounty would be great, although if Wentz has a great Senior Bowl I think I'd rather just take him at 4 and be done with it.
We are on the same page I think I am just a little more risk adverse concerning these QB's and I am starting to like a lot more of these other prospects.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We'll probably end up with Cook in the 2nd or Cardale Jones in the 4th.

dallen

Senior Tech

I think the problem is there are only about 3 players worth a top 5 pick and we are #4 (and don't really need Tunsil). That's never a good spot to be in. You just have to hope someone else stands out or one of the teams above us gets cute

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Thursday, January 14, 2016

2016 NFL Draft Profile #4 - Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/01/14/bob-sturms-2016-nfl-draft-profile-series-see-alabama-lb-reggie-ragland

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.

Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama - 6'2, 252 - Senior - #19

The most important thing to remember when you are looking for draftees to select as you form a list of likes and dislikes is the following: You are not drafting schools. That means that no matter how many great RBs that "Running Back U" has put in the NFL, you are only getting the latest one who has no promise of joining the legends before him. Conversely, if a school has produced a couple busts at QB, that doesn't not mean the next one won't be the great one.

For defenders from Alabama, you have to look carefully. As a group, there is no more feared college football defense every year than the Crimson Tide. They teach and play defense very much like a top NFL defense. They fill the draft every year. But, not every Alabama defender plays well in the NFL. We have to evaluate each one individually and carefully. Is he good because he is good, or is he good because he is surrounded by 1st rounders? This is the test.

Further, some guys have household names in the draft community because we have had them earmarked as a top pick for a couple of years. Reggie Ragland is that guy. For as long as I can recall, Nick Saban has assured us that this is a top draft pick and prospect at the next level. Like Rolando McClain, CJ Mosely, and even DeMeco Ryans before him, he will patrol the middle of the field, often with a violent disposition.

What I liked: Ragland is a very large linebacker and has a giant lower body in terms of not being pushed around. He plays with some initial burst and thump. He seems quite composed and sharp mentally and knows what is coming at him. As a defender, often is asked to drop into simple zones, as this is what Alabama asks of him. He finds the ball and plays with very solid instincts and is gifted in terms of sniffing out a screen or a bootleg. He clearly is watching enough film to be sitting on tendencies. This is quite important when finding someone to basically quarterback your defense. Ragland can also play a little defensive end on pass rushing downs as Alabama would routinely line him up at right defensive end. I wouldn't call him a gifted pass rusher, but "capable" certainly fits. He hits and hits hard. He forces fumbles and causes problems. You generally know you have played against Ragland by the end of the day.

What I did not like: Here is the real question about Ragland. Does he have the top end speed that is now required to play linebacker at an elite level in the NFL. I must confess that watching his tape is a confusing endeavor on this front. Sometimes he can get to the corner on guys who are trying to outflank the defense and other times he does not. When a linebacker is 22, you are looking at him at the peak of his speed, so basically, you are looking for a guy who can run like the wind. If your middle linebacker candidate cannot, that generally means that within his first contract, you are getting him off the field on nickel downs. Well, if a linebacker is not a nickel down linebacker in today's NFL, then you have just wasted a 1st round pick. With Ragland, the elite wheels are not always evident. I will be curious to see if his times measure up at the Combine. Beyond that, I do wonder if he fatigues or was playing with injuries, because there are times where he does not seem nearly as aggressive and active as the season goes on. There were times where he seemed content with assuming someone else was going to make that play. I will concede that this might be natural with a team that is always 3 touchdowns ahead in many games, but it did stick out on tape.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: There is plenty of reasons to believe that the Cowboys are hoping to find a better partner in the middle of their defense for Sean Lee right now than Rolando McClain. In fact, in previous drafts (that predate McClain), we know they fancied Bobby Wagner and Ryan Shazier - 2 very impressive non-pass rushing linebackers to patrol the middle of the field. But those 2 both ran absurd 40 yard dashes (Wagner 4.46, Shazier 4.38) to show they were every down linebackers who can run with anyone.

Ragland runs an estimated 4.7 40-yard dash. That is fast enough, but barely. Unlike centers or guards, inside linebackers regularly have to run 40 yards on a down and that speed difference is going to be a potential issue to keep him on the field in all situations. This isn't to say that he can't be a difference-maker in the NFL, because he does enough things very well that I am sure he has a long career ahead of him. But, it might mean he is not that guy Dallas wants to replace Rolando McClain unless the price drops from that "top half of the 1st round" that many are throwing around at this point. You cannot pay premium prices unless you hope to get 800-900 snaps out of him. And for that, he must be on the field in all situations. This one will be an interesting study.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I like Ragland a lot but I also wonder if he is a 3 down LB.

I could see him dropping and if he does I would be a top guy to take in the 2nd.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life

I could see him dropping and if he does I would be a top guy to take in the 2nd.
Trading down to say 10 and getting Wentz would be awesome. The problem is Jerry would screw it up. I think we need to stay at the pick and take lynch, Wentz, DT, or DE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

My personal preference is if we are taking a LBer that high he is a speed guy. I just think in this defense athletic ability trumps physicality at LBer. He looks more like a 3-4 fit to me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm guessing that we are going to be really high on Darron Lee, if he's there at 34 I'd guess that he's one of our very top potential picks.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's Draft Profile Series: Can Carson Wentz Be The Cowboys Next Franchise Quarterback?[/h]

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.
To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, Click Here.

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St - 6'6, 235 - RS Senior - #11

The exercise with considering the 23-year old Carson Wentz as an elite QB prospect is more of a test of your overall view about where we find Quarterbacks in general. The best place to find elite talent is generally where elite football is played. Yet, there are a number of examples that show the level of football that Wentz and his school have dominated over the last several years has given the NFL such franchise QBs as Joe Flacco, Steve McNair, and, of course, Tony Romo. You could even include NFL MVP Rich Gannon and have more than a couple Quarterbacks that you would certainly like to have on your side.

Once you get by questioning his level of competition, you are going to generally find that Carson Wentz belongs in the conversation at the top of the draft. He is big, athletic, confident, and capable of being the next guy at the steering wheel of a NFL franchise near you.

So much about finding that guy seems to be about luck in sports. The San Antonio Spurs only had the top pick twice in their history. It has almost nothing to do with them that those were the two years that David Robinson and Tim Duncan were going to be in the draft. It just fell right. It could have been Andrew Bogut's draft, but they were blessed with some good fortune. Well, I am here to suggest that the year the Dallas Cowboys pick #4 might be the same year that there were 3 top QB prospects in the draft. Lucky? In other words, if they decide to go down this road, there is almost no excuse for them not to get a blue-chip QB prospect. Prospects can disappoint or fail, but the quality appears to be high in this group. And Wentz is trying to prove it.

What I liked: He has gifts. He can make any throw and he can make it at almost any velocity. I am not sure there is a prospect that can throw the ball harder or further. He has a gun in the truest sense of the word. Now, to make his skillset even more exciting, he can run as well as most QBs could hope to run. This helps him if he were to keep it on a zone read or a 3rd down scramble, but moreso, it helps him move the pocket and keep a play alive. He rolls to each side of the field and then has the mechanics to properly reset his body to fire a strike to the outside of routes to either sideline. His motion is more compact than Paxton Lynch in that with Wentz, it often looks like a flick of the wrist. It also should be said that his ball placement is top-notch. He not only can hit receivers right at their facemask, but he also can deliver balls where only they can catch them. He is an athlete who also seems to see the field very well. He is in total control of the game. It is tough to find labels for what makes a QB great, but Wentz seems to ooze the characteristics you are looking for when you seek "dude qualities" as Trent Dilfer puts it.

What I did not like: This is a normal negative that accompanies a QB who can make any throw, but he definitely has a gunslinger's irrational confidence on some throws. This guy will win games with his arm, but he better have a coach that will firmly instruct him when to not trust his arm, because he will also try to fit a ball into coverage and it will get picked off. He doesn't throw a lot of interceptions, but again, when you watch him play you can understand why he thinks he can make any throw. He can. But safeties at the NFL are too good to touch the stove too often. He will need to harness his enthusiasm early in his career. This is normal when gunslingers go up in competition, but I am sure his rookie year will include this learning process. He also makes throws that often put his receivers in danger from those same safeties. If you can make all of the throws, let's make fewer throws into danger spaces. I would also point out that he seems to take a fair number of direct hits in the pocket as he seeks a big throw. I would prefer my QB not feel like he is invincible, because as we often say, the most important ability is availability. The only way to stand up to QB hits in the NFL is to avoid as many as possible.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: I confess, after watching just about every play he snapped in 2015, I am really excited about Carson Wentz. It is difficult to separate the top 3 QBs in this draft right now, because the spring process is a long one where we turn over every rock. But as I sit here a week before the Senior Bowl - where the Cowboys are trying to be his coach for a week - I can definitely see a scenario where the spring objective for the local team in the draft is to make sure that the FCS Championship game isn't the only time he visits Frisco, Texas.

Wentz is a real interesting prospect who seems to have very few limitations. It would certainly give you more confidence to have seen him carve up Top 20 college powers with routine, so I admit this requires a little bit of a leap of faith. But, he was in massive games as a college QB at his level and definitely stole the show with regularity. College accomplishments do not go with a player to the next level, but if the toolbox is full of fantastic tools that translate to the NFL, you should take him seriously. And, I really do.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
I rank it

Goff
Wentz

Lynch

Right now, but I would not be surprised if Jackson takes Wentz over Goff he likes that big drop back guy like what he had in Carson Palmer.

Top Bottom