2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Also Jsmith what happened to that big TE that was here did he get hurt or transfer?
If you mean Davis he's still here Spav just didn't have any idea how to use a TE other than very occasionally have them block

Jiggyfly

Banned
If you mean Davis he's still here Spav just didn't have any idea how to use a TE other than very occasionally have them block
Yeah that's him, I am really interested to see what somebody else can do with all of this skill position talent.

What's the over-under on Speedy sticking around he seems to keep getting into trouble.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah that's him, I am really interested to see what somebody else can do with all of this skill position talent.

What's the over-under on Speedy sticking around he seems to keep getting into trouble.
I'm pretty sure he'll stay around, if he can quit smoking long enough to make an impact on the field is another story

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
No prob, if you didn't see it TexAgs has link to show current recruits/commits/offers https://texags.com/football-recruiting/recruits

We do have the 2 OL brothers from Mineola and Diesch from Trophy Club and Dodson at LB who are all 4stars but yea OL & LB recruiting have definitely been underwhelming and I don't really have an answer why.
I'm begging you...please erase that link. Jiggy is going to read there and then believe everything that is posted. It is going to result in more misinformation and stupid arguing.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm begging you...please erase that link. Jiggy is going to read there and then believe everything that is posted. It is going to result in more misinformation and stupid arguing.
You mean like how Sumlin taught KK everything he knows
:tippytoe

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'll just leave this right here.

"We can't take credit for inventing anything. We just packaged it," Mumme told USA TODAY Sports. "It's like Nabisco. They didn't invent cookies. They just packaged up Oreos, and everybody loves them. That's kind of what we did."

Disciples take off

It's a package that continues to sell, even though Mumme lost twice as many games as he won in the major college game at Kentucky and New Mexico State: 31-64. If only coaching descendants were copyrighted like songs, Mumme might be rich off the royalties, with most of his greatest hits coming off an obscure album – the 2000 Texas Tech football team.

That was the time and place that Mumme's star pupil, Mike Leach, arrived as head coach, fresh off successful stints as offensive coordinator at Kentucky (1997-98) and Oklahoma (1999), where he led both programs to winning seasons.

Leach's 2000 Tech team finished 7-6 but went on to yield an astounding eight future head coaches, including six current head coaches in major college football. Additionally, two players from that team were NFL assistant coaches in 2012. Another coach from the 2000 team – graduate assistant Dave Aranda – is the new defensive coordinator at Wisconsin.

"It's amazing, quite honestly," says Art Briles, a running backs coach on that Red Raiders team and now the head coach at Baylor, which finished 8-5 in 2012.

The tree was planted in 1989, when Leach sent Mumme a job application to join his first staff at Iowa Wesleyan, an NAIA program that was struggling.

"He sent me a resume, and I was looking for an offensive line coach who didn't have any preconceived notion about the way the game should be played," Mumme said.

After three winning seasons there, the two moved on to Valdosta (Ga.) State and Kentucky. Then when Tech hired Leach in December 1999, Leach added more Mumme acolytes to his staff and built his offense almost exactly the way he and Mumme built it at Iowa Wesleyan.

Unlike traditional run-based offenses, it relies on throwing the ball from the shotgun formation, spreading the field and distributing the ball among several receivers. Like basketball, it tries to gain an edge through mismatches and creating space for its playmakers.

Its conceptual roots go back several decades, and it has several variations, including those taught by other 1990s coaching stars: Dennis Erickson, Mike Price and Joe Tiller.

The version run by Mumme and Leach is based largely on BYU's offense under coach LaVell Edwards.

"If you look at what we did at Iowa Wesleyan back then, you'll see that what we do now has not changed very much," Leach told USA TODAY Sports.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/01/03/hal-mumme-coaching-tree/1807421/

It's funny that Mumme gets no credit whatsoever.

So in summary like I said Leach has a fantastic track record of his asst doing well and has refined this version of the spread into a work of art.

But that coaching tree was seeded by Mumme and the air raid concepts were 1st used by Price Edwards and Tiller.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
Should we rename this the Mike Leach Chatter thread and start a 2016 College Football Chatter thread?

Jiggyfly

Banned
I never said Leach did not have a huge impact on college football I just disagree that he changed the landscape more so than Rich Rodriguez did.

It was Iamtdg and Clay who had no idea of the origins of the air raid and Clay called me out about it.

I have no idea why you went where you went I gave Leach credit at every turn.

IMO it's the spread that has changed college football and every spread is not the air raid.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I never said Leach did not have a huge impact on college football I just disagree that he changed the landscape more so than Rich Rodriguez did.

It was Iamtdg and Clay who had no idea of the origins of the air raid and Clay called me out about it.

I have no idea why you went where you went I gave Leach credit at every turn.

IMO it's the spread that has changed college football and every spread is not the air raid.
Umm, the perfection of the air raid was Leach.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That's not what you said.

Yes Leach has an extensive coaching tree and has refined his particular philosophy into a great offense but he did not change college football.
There really isn't any debate that he changed college football. You'd have to be blind to disagree with that. This proves that you will argue a stupid point just because you refuse to ever admit that you don't know something or that you were wrong.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'll just leave this right here.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/01/03/hal-mumme-coaching-tree/1807421/

It's funny that Mumme gets no credit whatsoever.

So in summary like I said Leach has a fantastic track record of his asst doing well and has refined this version of the spread into a work of art.

But that coaching tree was seeded by Mumme and the air raid concepts were 1st used by Price Edwards and Tiller.
No they weren't. Now you are twisting the article but that's no surprise. Every offense has "roots" from somewhere. There really aren't any offensive things that haven't been jotted down somewhere over the last 100 years.

I'm going to go ahead and go with what the guy told me himself about his scheme.

Mumme doesn't get much credit because he's a failure and worse personality than Leach.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Seems to me y'alls talking about different matters. Spread on the one hand and air raid on the other.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's not what you said.

There really isn't any debate that he changed college football. You'd have to be blind to disagree with that. This proves that you will argue a stupid point just because you refuse to ever admit that you don't know something or that you were wrong.
Semantics somebody can have a impact without changing football.

Like I said before Rich Rod has had just as much impact on that change..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom