JJT: Garrett, Cowboys must regain offensive identity in 2016

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett, Cowboys must regain offensive identity in 2016

2:02 PM ET
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Since Jason Garrett arrived in 2007, the Dallas Cowboys have run the ball more than 43 percent once. The passing game has always been the epicenter of their offense -- until last season. The Cowboys went 12-4 in 2014 with a running game that pounded opponents and took pressure off quarterback Tony Romo.

The Cowboys need to find that identity again.

In 2014, the Cowboys ran the ball 50.1 percent of the time, which helped Romo throw for nearly 3,000 yards with 34 touchdowns and nine interceptions. The running game set up every aspect of the Cowboys' offense in 2014 and helped their defense by keeping it off the field.

Without similar offensive balance in 2015, the Cowboys struggled. They had no identity. They didn't run it well enough to dominate games, and their passing attack produced 15 touchdown passes and 22 interceptions.

The Cowboys ran the ball 42.1 percent of the time this season, throwing it 57.9 percent. Even when the Cowboys did run the ball, they didn’t control games with their run game. Darren McFadden rushed for 1,089 yards, fourth in the NFL, but the Cowboys couldn’t turn that production into points. They couldn’t convert on third-and-short and they kicked too many field goals instead of scoring touchdowns in the red zone.

Think about it, the Cowboys threw the ball a lot more with Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel and Kellen Moore at quarterback this season than they did with Romo last season.

"We didn’t do a good enough job obviously," Garrett said of maintaining the Cowboys' offensive balance. "You have to handle the adversities of the season. Coaches have to handle it, players have to handle it and we have to do a better job.

"Things happened to our team this year, and we didn’t respond the right way to have the success we wanted to have. Period."

--------------

Not certain Garrett knows what the eff the identity is.

If what we saw in the first few games with Romo healthy was an indicator, we were not going with the 2014 formula.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If it were up to Garrett we'd pass 65-75% of the time. Same with Romo. Being a QB of course you want to pass, thats why you need a HC and OC who knows how to keep it balanced.

Being balanced should be something they try to do. After 2014 it should've been a no-brainer. But Garrett and Romo apparently think they are the NFC's Belichick and Brady, when it's closer to Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton.

townsend

Banned
No need to listen to any of this shit. Garrett's fake media persona has no bearing on his actual coaching.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not certain Garrett knows what the eff the identity is.

If what we saw in the first few games with Romo healthy was an indicator, we were not going with the 2014 formula.
Hard to establish a smash-mouth identity behind Joseph Randle and Darren McFadden (at least early on).

When we consistently fizzled at the goal line everyone lost confidence in the run. As hard as McFadden ran last year, he didn't bring the same short yardage intensity Murray brought in 2014. Randle was a joke.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think we lost our identity when Garrett started talking about the short passing game being an extension of the running game.

Remember in those 1st 2 games we were looking more like the Patriots than the Cowboys of 2014.

I think Garrett tried to get too cute when tweaking the offense and it led to losing that smash mouth identity and I think Romo bought in and started switching out of run plays again.

People forget that we struggled a lot running the ball in the 2nd half of the season last year but kept at it and started breaking runs in the 2nd half, it's really funny that we ran Murrray into the ground in 2014 and then wanted to split up snaps so much in 2015.

I think both Randle and Murray suffered by from not being able to get in a rhythm and in sync with the o-line.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think we lost our identity when Garrett started talking about the short passing game being an extension of the running game.

Remember in those 1st 2 games we were looking more like the Patriots than the Cowboys of 2014.

I think Garrett tried to get too cute when tweaking the offense and it led to losing that smash mouth identity and I think Romo bought in and started switching out of run plays again.

People forget that we struggled a lot running the ball in the 2nd half of the season last year but kept at it and started breaking runs in the 2nd half, it's really funny that we ran Murrray into the ground in 2014 and then wanted to split up snaps so much in 2015.

I think both Randle and Murray suffered by from not being able to get in a rhythm and in sync with the o-line.
Yep. They were featuring the short pass to Dunbar quite heavily.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep. They were featuring the short pass to Dunbar quite heavily.
Which by itself is patently retarded given his proven track record of unreliability. If that was the plan, they should have flooded the roster with similar pass catching backs either in or after the draft. We signed one goddamn UDFA.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think the Cowboys realized very quickly in camp that they would be unable to dictate with the running game without Murray.

The short passing game was a side effect of a lack of confidence in the running game.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think the Cowboys realized very quickly in camp that they would be unable to dictate with the running game without Murray.

The short passing game was a side effect of a lack of confidence in the running game.
Yet we could run very well with Murray and that was without Romo.

It was overthinking things and Garrett trying to inject himself again.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yet we could run very well with Murray and that was without Romo.

It was overthinking things and Garrett trying to inject himself again.
Agreed, once we got a non idiot in McFadden back there instead of Randle we ran it pretty well even without Romo. I can only hope they go back to that next year as opposed to the constant short passes to the RB nonsense.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Agreed, once we got a non idiot in McFadden back there instead of Randle we ran it pretty well even without Romo. I can only hope they go back to that next year as opposed to the constant short passes to the RB nonsense.
I know I am on this island by myself but I don't think Randle was the issue, I think as a runner he was just as good as McFadden if not better.

Yes it was a mistake to rely on Randle with his issues but I think if he did not flake out he could have had just as many yards.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I know I am on this island by myself but I don't think Randle was the issue, I think as a runner he was just as good as McFadden if not better.
I completely disagree. He never got it done despite having *plenty* of opportunities.

Case in point the kid never had 100 yards rushing-- despite breaking a long run in several games and playing with Romo in two games. He had no stamina whatsoever beyond these scattered highlights.

Meanwhile McFadden broke 100 six times, often in convincing fashion.

Randle's being a headcase distracted from the fact that he is a weak RB on top of it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Randle couldn't play. He was a shithead.

I struggle to see what is so hard about describing his career tombstone as a Cowboy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I completely disagree. He never got it done despite having *plenty* of opportunities.

Case in point the kid never had 100 yards rushing-- despite breaking a long run in several games and playing with Romo in two games. He had no stamina whatsoever beyond these scattered highlights.

Randle's being a headcase distracted from the fact that he is a weak RB on top of it.
Raadle never had a full season as starter so he can't be evaluated as one.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Neither did Derrick Lassic, at some point when a guy isn't producing you move on.
I hear what you are saying but it hardly fits my response. As I recall Lassic had a run in with Johnson and was sent down the road. Randle did something stupid as well but I guess the point is how would he have performed absent his stupidity?

Jiggyfly

Banned

Randle never got as many carries as McFadden did in those 100-yard games.

Anyway I am not going down this road again it's fruitless.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Randle never got as many carries as McFadden did in those 100-yard games.

Anyway I am not going down this road again it's fruitless.
Just ask yourself why the kid wasn't able to earn those carries... ever.

Top Bottom