FA Overview: Barry Church

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
No one in the secondary is special. Ask Aaron Rodgers. He nailed that 35 yard completion against our supposed best defender.
Because he had time...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Because he had time...
Both areas are problematic with Dallas. Pass rushing and pass defending more specifically. It a small wonder Maranelli gets as much out of them as he does. The rushing defense is reasonable for most of the competition in the league.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Both areas are problematic with Dallas. Pass rushing and pass defending more specifically. It a small wonder Maranelli gets as much out of them as he does. The rushing defense is reasonable for most of the competition in the league.
Ok but I was specifically talking about the mugging of Irving as he was making it through the line.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Ok but I was specifically talking about the mugging of Irving as he was making it through the line.
Okay. I guess I was being general about the Dallas defense. :towel

shane

DCC 4Life
Church would be nice to hang onto, but I wouldn't be surprised if another team throws a nice deal at him. Not worth keeping at a high price tag. Would rather us just draft a mid-round depth pick on secondary in that case.

midswat

... soon
I seriously doubt any team offers Church anything of substance.

Granted I'm a negative fan, but I have four times as many memories of Church whiffing on tackles, taking bad angles in critical situations etc than I do of him making any semblance of an impactful positive play.

Never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GtjpPtwT4

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Church would be nice to hang onto, but I wouldn't be surprised if another team throws a nice deal at him. Not worth keeping at a high price tag. Would rather us just draft a mid-round depth pick on secondary in that case.
I'd have no problem using a first round pick on a ballhawking safety. We need one badly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I seriously doubt any team offers Church anything of substance.

Granted I'm a negative fan, but I have four times as many memories of Church whiffing on tackles, taking bad angles in critical situations etc than I do of him making any semblance of an impactful positive play.

Never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GtjpPtwT4
He is one of those players we value way way more than anyone else would. Because he is like a leader and stuff.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think I'd re-sign Wilcox over Church, it's harder to find guys to play that single-high safety role that he played for us last year, although I'd re-sign both if it can be done for less than 9-10 per year combined. Just make sure they're only 3-4 year deals.

There aren't many guys in this class with the range to play that single-high spot (at least where we're picking) but there are several who can play the SS/LB hybrid role that Church plays alot of the time.

Of course Heath looked decent playing it at times when Wilcox was out too. I'd be very curious to hear how the coaching staff views the safeties on this roster because it seems like each of them is pretty good at playing one or two different roles but none are complete players.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'd re-sign Wilcox over Church, it's harder to find guys to play that single-high safety role that he played for us last year, although I'd re-sign both if it can be done for less than 9-10 per year combined. Just make sure they're only 3-4 year deals.

There aren't many guys in this class with the range to play that single-high spot (at least where we're picking) but there are several who can play the SS/LB hybrid role that Church plays alot of the time.

Of course Heath looked decent playing it at times when Wilcox was out too. I'd be very curious to hear how the coaching staff views the safeties on this roster because it seems like each of them is pretty good at playing one or two different roles but none are complete players.
We are in a perfect spot for Obi Melifonwu... :unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know that he has the range to play the single-high role, I think he could play Church's SS/LB role.
Yeah I was joking. He is a way better athlete then Church though and could be a big upgrade to him. I'd prefer more of a deep safety though. Buddah Baker doesn't really fit the deep safety spot either.

Marcus Williams though would be a nice high safety prospect.

Top Bottom