FA Overview: Barry Church

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
With the NFL offseason now officially underway, it’s never too early to start focusing on the next order of business, which is free agency. The Cowboys have 20 unrestricted free agents who can sign with other teams starting on March 9, unless they strike a new deal with the Cowboys before then.

Over the next two weeks, DallasCowboys.com staff writers will break down each free agent, analyzing their strengths and weaknesses and the possibilities of a return in 2017.

Today, we’ll continue the series with safety Barry Church.

What’s The Deal: Originally an undrafted free agent out of Toledo in 2010, Church went from long shot to starter to being one of the team’s defensive leaders. Ranked as the league’s 11[SUP]th[/SUP] best safety in 2016 by Pro Football Focus, he topped 100 tackles (based on coaches’ film) for the fourth straight year, finishing with 109 takedowns despite missing four games due to a broken right forearm. That’s the longest such streak for a Cowboys’ defender since linebacker Bradie James posted six straight 100-tackle seasons from 2005-10. Against the Eagles on Oct. 30, Church also surpassed 500 tackles for his career. He did produce two interceptions this past season, which led the team, but has only five picks total in his seven years in the NFL. Still, Church’s presence and impact on the Cowboys is felt as much in the locker room as it is on the field.

Cowboys Highlight: Already 0-1 on the 2016 season with uncertainty surrounding their rookie quarterback, the Cowboys were down 23-20 heading into the fourth quarter in Week 2 at the Redskins. Even worse, Kirk Cousins had his team at the Dallas 6-yard line, ready to add to its lead. But on third down, the Washington quarterback tried to find receiver Pierre Garçon in the middle of the end zone, only to have Church jump in front, securing the interception. Given new life, Dak Prescott then marched the offense 80 yards in 11 plays for a touchdown to give the Cowboys a 27-23 victory. Church’s timely pick avoided a stumbling 0-2 start, and instead provided a shot of confidence in what proved to be a launching pad for a magical 13-3 season.

Argument to Keep: Given his experience, there’s no doubt that Church knows the system and there are few safeties in the game stronger against the run. Perhaps even more valuable, though, is that he’s a respected leader, having been voted a team captain in each of the last three seasons.

Argument to Let Go: There’s no shaking it – the NFL is a young man’s game. Do the Cowboys want to invest heavily in a player who will turn 29 on Feb. 11? Especially one who has taken the hits that Church has? With plenty of other needs on the defense, the Dallas brass may want to pair someone younger at safety alongside up-and-comer Byron Jones.

Bryan Broaddus’ Scout’s Take: Have always felt like Barry Church doesn’t get the credit he deserves from the fan base for his play. Other than Sean Lee you would be hard pressed to find a player on this defense that has the character, work ethic and passion for the game than Church. His physical and mental toughness is his strength and helps him overcome his skill issues. Church might not have ideal playing speed but his short area quickness and lateral agility is good. His playing strength, explosiveness and ability to strike is outstanding. He’s a disciplined player in run support. His toughness allows him to play down in the box as an extra linebacker. He’s a nice scheme fit in this area especially as a sub player (nickel/dime). Where Church is also vital to this defense is in his ability to create turnovers. There is no question in games where he is out of the lineup, the defense struggles in this area. Barry Church puts himself in position to make those plays.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm hard on Church at times because frankly he just isn't great at anything on the field. But he seems to be the glue that sort of holds the secondary together. And in an attempt to not create too many holes that have to be filled later I'd probably resign Church. Well unless a stud free agent safety like Berry is on the menu. But that's probably a pipe dream.

dallen

Senior Tech
He's ok. I won't be mad if we re-sign him if he is cheap. I still can't believe it, but part of me wants to see what Heath could do with more responsibilities. Obviously if we have any shot at Berry we need to pursue it, but I'll believe it when I see it. It doesn't sound like the front office wants to go chasing high priced free agents right now. I think I disagree with them when it comes to Berry or a pass rusher, but it is good to see them practicing a little self restraint.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He's ok. I won't be mad if we re-sign him if he is cheap. I still can't believe it, but part of me wants to see what Heath could do with more responsibilities. Obviously if we have any shot at Berry we need to pursue it, but I'll believe it when I see it. It doesn't sound like the front office wants to go chasing high priced free agents right now. I think I disagree with them when it comes to Berry or a pass rusher, but it is good to see them practicing a little self restraint.
Not that it isn't true, but I never thought I would ever see anyone on this board type out those words.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not that it isn't true, but I never thought I would ever see anyone on this board type out those words.
I like Heath and I have said so for a couple of years.

Cotton

Staff member
I like Heath and I have said so for a couple of years.
But, you liked him as a ST player. Don't try and tell us you have been clamoring for him full-time at S. We will not believe you and will guilt you into trying to prove it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

He seemed like one of the few guys on defense who never gave up, which might not have been a surprise.

I was shocked at the big plays he made. That sack was boss shit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But, you liked him as a ST player. Don't try and tell us you have been clamoring for him full-time at S. We will not believe you and will guilt you into trying to prove it.
Clamoring? No. But he is pretty effective as a safety especially on his tackling. He is the best tackler of all the defensive backs. His weakness has been in coverage because he gives a receiver too much space and as a result has a hard time recovering. He has improved that a lot this past season.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'm not saying give him the job, but I think I'd be OK with him and mid-round rookie competing. Especially if that means we are investing the money that would have gone to Church in either improving the front 7 or keeping the oline together.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not saying give him the job, but I think I'd be OK with him and mid-round rookie competing. Especially if that means we are investing the money that would have gone to Church in either improving the front 7 or keeping the oline together.
I would be okay with this, as well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Per the talking heads like Broaddus, Dallas has designs on Kavon Frazier playing a bigger role too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Per the talking heads like Broaddus, Dallas has designs on Kavon Frazier playing a bigger role too.
I don't really know anything of him. He barely saw the field. Hopefully he looked good in practice to earn the promotion.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't really know anything of him. He barely saw the field. Hopefully he looked good in practice to earn the promotion.
Don't doubt now. This board bitched about losing the RB too much. You guys should be happy about this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't doubt now. This board bitched about losing the RB too much. You guys should be happy about this.
I'd be thrilled if he turns out to be a player. This draft is already out of this world.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd be thrilled if he turns out to be a player. This draft is already out of this world.
Part of the rub is this though.

We got Kavon Frazier.

~ignores one of the deepest safety drafts in years~

Hey, we are good. Honest.

This organization has been horrifically bad at self evaluation.

Frazier looked okay, but it was not like he flashed like Brock Marion did in his rookie season.

Hmmm. Brock Marion. Steeeealllll....:drool

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part of the rub is this though.

We got Kavon Frazier.

~ignores one of the deepest safety drafts in years~

Hey, we are good. Honest.

This organization has been horrifically bad at self evaluation.

Frazier looked okay, but it was not like he flashed like Brock Marion did in his rookie season.

Hmmm. Brock Marion. Steeeealllll....:drool
You shouldn't be drafting for need anyway. Maybe Kavon Frazier is a real player but it shouldn't impact the draft strategy at all. If it impacts anything it should be the free agent strategy. But beyond that you really shouldn't be drafting based on unproven sixth round picks.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This org has serious trouble whenever it feels as if it's "close" to a Superbowl.

I'm hoping they can buck the trend of failing spectacularly the season after a playoff run.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
This org has serious trouble whenever it feels as if it's "close" to a Superbowl.

I'm hoping they can buck the trend of failing spectacularly the season after a playoff run.
100% spot on. The fall on your face after success effect has followed this team for years. Then, they have the arrogant way of looking at in house talent.

This has been a huge flaw with Jerry's tenure as GM, and it normally revolves around decisions he makes. For some reason, he gets all bent out of shape after a big loss- usually saying along the way that certain areas need addressed... its on him to look at everything...blah blah. 3-4 months later, after the draft he's telling everyone how he's comfortable with where they are, people are stepping up, etc. All the while, there are still glaring needs that were not addressed.

Its like a dog chasing its tail.

midswat

... soon
If broaddus is claiming this, I'll put money that Frazier doesn't make the final 53.

Re: Church... might not be practical, but I'm all for purging this entire secondary, save for maybe Jones and Brown. I still have hope for both of them. Wilcox, Church, Scandrick, Carr, and Claiborne can all pack sand.

Top Bottom