.Gov. Abbott proposes constitutional amendments, wants to restore state power

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Gov. Abbott proposes constitutional amendments, wants to restore state power[/h]
AUSTIN (KXAN) — A political firestorm could soon spark across the nation, as Gov. Greg Abbott, R-Texas, calls for nine constitutional amendments to rein in the federal government.

His focus is on Article 5 of the U.S. Constitution, which involves amending the constitution. This could stem from any of a handful of topics for which he and other Lone Star Republicans have clashed with President Barack Obama’s administration in recent history: healthcare, abortion, refugees, illegal immigration, gay marriage, gun rights, EPS regulations – just to name a few.

Abbott offered the following constitutional amendments:

1. Prohibit Congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one State.
  2. Require Congress to balance its budget.
  3. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from creating federal law.
  4. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from preempting state law.
  5. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
  6. Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law.
  7. Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Constitution.
  8. Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.
  9. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a federal law or regulation.

In its most basic explanation, proposing amendments can occur in essentially one of two ways:

• a proposal by Congress with a two-thirds vote in both chambers; or
  • a constitutional convention called by two-thirds of all state legislatures.
But that is just the first step, because an amendment must also be ratified to become part of the Constitution:

• This can happen either by three-fourths of state legislatures or conventions in three-fourths of states.
  • The only amendment ratified by state conventions is the 21st. In 1933, this move ended the national prohibition on alcohol.
  • Unlike other federal legislation, constitutional amendments do not require approval by the President.
Changing the Constitution is no easy task:

• Only 27 amendments have been ratified since 1789 – ten of which happened very early with the Bill of Rights.
  • Six other amendments were adopted by Congress but failed to gain approval by the required number of states.
  • In all, nearly 12,000 amendments have been proposed to Congress.
Abbott’s speech before the Texas Public Policy Foundation in Austin could amp up the anti-federal dialogue across the nation, likely leaving Republican White House hopefuls plenty to dissect as the first primary votes are just weeks away.

shane

DCC 4Life
A Constitutional Convention is about the worst idea ever, and would likely scrap the entire Constitution. Greg Abbott is a dumbass.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A Constitutional Convention is about the worst idea ever, and would likely scrap the entire Constitution. Greg Abbott is a dumbass.
But he is a Governor of a great state. What are you?

Cotton

Staff member
From some of the proposals it could bring us back closer to the original intent of the constitution, so there's that.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I support curtailing administrative law and returning lawmaking to the legislature. Too much law is in the hands of unelected agencies.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, fer Christ's sake. Just take the bait so the rest of us can laugh.
I don't have the energy for that shit this morning.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But the state was made less great by his election. it's like being a tumor of a very successful person.
That's an opinion. I have seen no decline so far. And what's with the allegories all the time? They make no sense to me.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It certainly wasn't to have unelected officials make more laws than the congress.
When has that ever happened?

Supreme courts only rule on laws that have already been made by elected officials, they have nevr "made" a law in history.

townsend

Banned
That's an opinion. I have seen no decline so far. And what's with the allegories all the time? They make no sense to me.
I doubt we'll see the decline economically. I think Texas would continue to be successful with or without him. He's not a buffoon like Jindhal who was actively engaged in destabilizing his state. I even appreciate that he seems like he's a real conservative unlike Cruz, who's just playing a part.

I'm afraid of 20 years from now when we're recovering from the ecological catastrophes that the oil industry will get away with because they're going to have free reign in this state. The last thing I want is for Texas to become West Virginia.

townsend

Banned

Supreme courts only rule on laws that have already been made by elected officials, they have nevr "made" a law in history.

He's talking about law making through federal regulation. FCC, FDA, EPA, etc are all allowed to enforce laws that were never passed by an elected official.

Cotton

Staff member
The great dodge.

:lolNice.

What do you think was the original intent since you think this brings us closer.
States regaining the authority they once had.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He's talking about law making through federal regulation. FCC, FDA, EPA, etc are all allowed to enforce laws that were never passed by an elected official.
Could be but there is no way to know what they intended as far as those agencies are concerned.

They were not created by some end run around the constitution.

And weren't those agencies created by acts of congress?

I understand the need for some deregulating but this idea that every regulation needs to be run through the legislative body or voted on is unworkable.

Jiggyfly

Banned
States regaining the authority they once had.
Ok.

I don't know how anybody could know what issues the writers of the constitution would have with the authority the states have now considering how much things have changed.

But that's a valid opinion.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

Talking about agencies, not the SCOTUS. More federal law (regulatory law on everything from food and drugs to pollution, to labor, to communication, is made as regulatory moves by appointed bureaucrats.

Top Bottom