2016 Mock Drafts

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys: Jalen Ramsey, S/CB, Florida State

Opinions are mixed on Jalen Ramsey. Some teams we've spoken to believe he's great and happens to be worthy of a top-10 pick. Others, not so much. In fact, one organization, which has drafted very well, has him as a second-round prospect.

I suspect Jerry Jones may want a Florida State corner, especially considering the team's glaring issues in the secondary. Ramsey would look great across from Orlando Scandrick.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php#Q7gh4bogO0EouFhI.99
Exactly why he would be a horrible choice at our slot.

Teams aren't even certain he excels enough at CB or S. So what makes him a top five player in this draft again?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Teams aren't even certain he excels enough at CB or S. So what makes him a top five player in this draft again?
He also runs track at FSU, haven't you heard?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

That's been my main issue with him from the beginning. He's not a true CB or S. Doesn't make sense to take him in the top 5 just based on his athleticism and projecting him to one position. Ramsey or Hargreaves are my worst case scenario.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Come on guys, I don't see a damn thing wrong with drafting a faster, yet somehow less productive Byron Jones at 4 when Romo could spontaneously combust at any given moment. What could go wrong?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Come on guys, I don't see a damn thing wrong with drafting a faster, yet somehow less productive Byron Jones at 4 when Romo could spontaneously combust at any given moment. What could go wrong?
That's what will blow my top if we don't draft a QB. They said that the collarbone would be easier to break again and that's exactly what happened 2 weeks after coming back. I just can't trust him to stay healthy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's what will blow my top if we don't draft a QB. They said that the collarbone would be easier to break again and that's exactly what happened 2 weeks after coming back. I just can't trust him to stay healthy.
I am almost to the point that I am dead set on a QB at 4. And even if it means Wentz there.

Otherwise, we could easily do like we did last year with RB.

Be sitting there at the end of the draft and saying "well, we would have liked to have added a young quarterback to that group, the situation didn't present itself in the draft, so we didn't get that done. On executing a plan, if you didn't execute one part of it, that was probably it...there's some quarterbacks out there I think still have some gas left in their tank and if we need to go get one, we'll go get one."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Be sitting there at the end of the draft and saying "well, we would have liked to have added a young quarterback to that group, the situation didn't present itself in the draft, so we didn't get that done. On executing a plan, if you didn't execute one part of it, that was probably it...there's some quarterbacks out there I think still have some gas left in their tank and if we need to go get one, we'll go get one."
This is my fear and it's really scary if we pass on the top free agent QBs and then this happens. I could easily see our organization claim that they were hoping Wentz would make it to that second round pick and then coming out and using that as the reason why they weren't able to get a QB.

Honestly, beyond the top 3 guys, I'm not sure if there is a future starter in this draft. There were some things I liked about Cook but the reports of him being a prick have me down on him. Hackenberg looks like a QB whose ceiling is Nick Foles. Cardale Jones, Kessler and those types just seem like a waste of a pick. So basically what I'm saying is yeah, I take a QB at 4. We probably have a shot at 2 of the 3 QBs. So just draft the one who you like the most. Some drafts have QB's in the second/third round that I really like. This draft just doesn't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He also runs track at FSU, haven't you heard?
If we aren't taking a QB I'd make trading down my top priority. There just aren't any other prospects at 4 that I look at and don't think I can get a comparable player a little later in the first. Sure you could say Bosa but I'm assuming he is gone by 4. Move back and take a top DT or WR or LBer(I guess Treadwell may be gone if you move down). We aren't so desperate at any of those positions that we are screwed if our guy isn't left but we have enough of a need at all of those positions that we could use a first on someone.

And you are right on Ramsey. The guy is a great athlete and was a top prospects out of highschool. Somehow these kind of guys get a free pass to the NFL even when they don't play that great.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And you are right on Ramsey. The guy is a great athlete and was a top prospects out of highschool. Somehow these kind of guys get a free pass to the NFL even when they don't play that great.
Nkemdiche is another one just like that. Didn't live up to his high school status, but didn't stink it up either. So they continue to carry an inflated reputation into the NFL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is my fear and it's really scary if we pass on the top free agent QBs and then this happens. I could easily see our organization claim that they were hoping Wentz would make it to that second round pick and then coming out and using that as the reason why they weren't able to get a QB.
What top free agent QBs are likely to be available? Only Osweiler is remotely interesting to me and we know he's not going to be allowed to test the waters. It is just as scary we get Griffin or Manziel and that really shuts the door on even considering a QB in this draft.

To me, the only chance we have to get a guy at 4 is if we have to take them to be the backup. We definitely are not taking what we think will be a 3rd string QB in the first round.

In other words, this offseason is already starting to scare the shit out of me and it really hasn't even begun yet.

Honestly, beyond the top 3 guys, I'm not sure if there is a future starter in this draft. There were some things I liked about Cook but the reports of him being a prick have me down on him. Hackenberg looks like a QB whose ceiling is Nick Foles. Cardale Jones, Kessler and those types just seem like a waste of a pick. So basically what I'm saying is yeah, I take a QB at 4. We probably have a shot at 2 of the 3 QBs. So just draft the one who you like the most. Some drafts have QB's in the second/third round that I really like. This draft just doesn't.
If getting a guy like Jones, Kessler etc. is our answer, I would as soon not bother as well.

dallen

Senior Tech
For what it is worth, that was only because he came back so fast. Everything I have read says that it shouldn't have long term effects. Still, even throwing out the 2nd break this year that is still twice he's injured it over the past few years. It seems likely to happen again

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What top free agent QBs are likely to be available? Only Osweiler is remotely interesting to me and we know he's not going to be allowed to test the waters. It is just as scary we get Griffin or Manziel and that really shuts the door on even considering a QB in this draft.
I think Griffin could be a pretty good backup QB here. But you're right, it probably shuts the door on a top QB prospect and if that's the case then I don't want to do it.

I have zero faith that Romo will make it through the whole season next year. It's why backup QB is so important and it's also why we need our future guy getting ready now. Honestly, what if Romo breaks his collar bone again next year? I mean that could be cause to retire for him. Breaking your collarbone for the fourth time in your career?

dallen

Senior Tech
If we aren't taking a QB I'd make trading down my top priority. There just aren't any other prospects at 4 that I look at and don't think I can get a comparable player a little later in the first. Sure you could say Bosa but I'm assuming he is gone by 4. Move back and take a top DT or WR or LBer(I guess Treadwell may be gone if you move down). We aren't so desperate at any of those positions that we are screwed if our guy isn't left but we have enough of a need at all of those positions that we could use a first on someone.

There are only about 3 Top Five guys in this draft and one is a tackle. It is a bad year to be sitting at #4. If I were in charge and the draft were today I'd hope for Goff and take Wentz at #4 if both Goff and Bosa are gone. If Bosa and Wentz are both available then it gets interesting

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For what it is worth, that was only because he came back so fast. Everything I have read says that it shouldn't have long term effects. Still, even throwing out the 2nd break this year that is still twice he's injured it over the past few years. It seems likely to happen again
Some people are just more susceptible to collarbone injuries then others. The fact that he is breaking it on pretty harmless looking hits is the scariest part.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are only about 3 Top Five guys in this draft and one is a tackle. It is a bad year to be sitting at #4. If I were in charge and the draft were today I'd hope for Goff and take Wentz at #4 if both Goff and Bosa are gone. If Bosa and Wentz are both available then it gets interesting
I still take Wentz. Bosa is a nice DE but I still have high hopes for Gregory. He looked like an absolute beast before that high ankle sprain. I think he develops into a stud RE this year. Sort of making that second year jump that we saw out of Lawrence.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The doctor they interviewed on ESPN did say it was going to be easier to break again going forward.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Some people are just more susceptible to collarbone injuries then others. The fact that he is breaking it on pretty harmless looking hits is the scariest part.
It's not the hits its the landing of the fall. Romo apparently positions himself from the impact that aligns his shoulder to take the brunt of the impact. Maybe the trainers need to make a study or devise a method for him to react to.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The doctor they interviewed on ESPN did say it was going to be easier to break again going forward.
I really wish he'd go ahead and get the surgery done, but apparently he's not going to.

Top Bottom