Archer: Cowboys DL has pieces but needs more

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys DL has pieces but needs more
3:13 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

NFL Nation reporter Todd Archer breaks down the Dallas Cowboys, position by position, analyzing what the players did in 2015, what they can do in the future and what the team can do to improve the position in 2016.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Under contract: Tyrone Crawford, DeMarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, David Irving, Terrell McClain, Ryan Russell, Casey Walker

Free agents: Greg Hardy, Jeremy Mincey, Nick Hayden, Jack Crawford

A look back: The Cowboys entered the season with high expectations for this group, even with Greg Hardy missing the first four games because of a suspension. While the group was solid, it was not what the Cowboys were expecting.

Except for DeMarcus Lawrence. He led the Cowboys with eight sacks and had a stretch of seven sacks in seven games down the stretch. He found the groove the Cowboys hoped he would find at the start of the season after recording two sacks in the 2014 playoffs. He got more comfortable at left defensive end as time went on.

Hardy came out of the gate with two sacks in his first half of football but would have just four more the rest of the season. He did not provide the consistent pass-rush the Cowboys had hoped for when signing him to the one-year deal last March that ultimately paid him a little more than $8.8 million. He was also a handful off the field.

Tyrone Crawford signed a $45 million extension at the start of the season but suffered a shoulder injury in Week 2 that needed surgery when the season ended. He posted career highs in tackles and sacks but it's fair to say the Cowboys expected more than five sacks from their three-technique. The injury slowed him as did the extra attention he received. But to be clear, the Cowboys have no buyer's remorse. They view Crawford as a building block piece.

Hayden will never get the appreciation he deserves but he is a solid nose tackle who has ended up playing too many snaps over the years because of injuries elsewhere. Mincey went from leading the Cowboys with six sacks in 2014 to not recording one in 2015. He was slowed by an elbow injury that will require surgery.

The Cowboys had high hopes for Gregory coming out of training camp but he suffered a high ankle sprain that knocked him out of five games. As a result, the momentum he built in the preseason was lost in the regular season and he did not record a sack.

Jack Crawford was the biggest surprise of the linemen with four sacks. He played end and tackle. The Cowboys signed David Irving off the Kansas City Chiefs' practice squad and he showed potential that will be worth developing. Terrell McClain's season ended after two games because of toe surgery and his absence was felt the more the year went on.

A look ahead: One of the biggest questions of the offseason will be Hardy's future. The feeling now is that he won't be back and if he is it will be on another one-year contract in which he will get paid as he plays.

The Cowboys could look to move Lawrence back to right defensive end but they have hope Gregory will harness his potential and be a difference maker in his second year.

A healthier Tyrone Crawford will make the pass-rush better as well. That is the playmaking positon of the defense and Crawford has the potential to be a double-digit sacks guy. But he will also be helped by the attention those around him receive.

McClain's return would give the Cowboys help at both interior spots but he has not been able to stay healthy in his two years with the club. Ryan Russell ended his rookie season on injured reserve but he played in just one game as a rookie. The fifth-round pick has to make a jump in 2016 to secure his roster spot.

A look out: In order to land the top prizes in free agency, teams have to overpay or accept some of the baggage that comes along with the player, like Hardy.

The draft remains the best bet. The Cowboys found a keeper in Lawrence and still have big-time hopes for Gregory. The draft might not have the top-end pass-rushers with the fourth overall pick but there will be options in other rounds for players that can come in and contribute.

The Cowboys have taken a quantity over quality approach the last two years in building their defensive line because Rod Marinelli wants to throw numbers at the opposing offensive line.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think Mincy is gone and probably Hardy. That only leaves Lawrence and Gregory as any real pieces at DE. If we don't go QB I'd opt for Buckner over Jack and especially over a DB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Mincy is gone and probably Hardy. That only leaves Lawrence and Gregory as any real pieces at DE. If we don't go QB I'd opt for Buckner over Jack and especially over a DB.
Shaq Lawson could be a consideration there too, and remember that we played David Irving at DE as well and he looked decent.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that Lawrence is supposedly much more comfortable on the left side so if we take a jumbo DE like Buckner or Jonathan Bullard they may be playing out of position on the right side, stuck behind Lawrence or shifted inside to the 1 tech. I actually think a guy like Buckner would probably be shifted inside next to Crawford.

Grabbing a guy like Kenny Clark at 34 would be amazing too if we don't go DL in the 1st, he's not a DE of course but he'd solidify the interior of the line. Yannick Ngakoue would be a money pick in the 4th or so, he's undersized at about 6-2/6-3 and 250 but he really has some juice off the edge.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Shaq Lawson could be a consideration there too, and remember that we played David Irving at DE as well and he looked decent.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that Lawrence is supposedly much more comfortable on the left side so if we take a jumbo DE like Buckner or Jonathan Bullard they may be playing out of position on the right side, stuck behind Lawrence or shifted inside to the 1 tech. I actually think a guy like Buckner would probably be shifted inside next to Crawford.

Grabbing a guy like Kenny Clark at 34 would be amazing too if we don't go DL in the 1st, he's not a DE of course but he'd solidify the interior of the line. Yannick Ngakoue would be a money pick in the 4th or so, he's undersized at about 6-2/6-3 and 250 but he really has some juice off the edge.
Yeah, Lawson is also in that mix in the 8-12 range that could climb. I've also had my eyes on Clark. I've seen him in the late first to early second area and he'd be an excellent choice at #34 if he's available and we go QB or take someone like Jack in the 1st. Lots of good options in the 2nd as long as we don't do something stupid. Right now my nightmare scenario is bypassing QB in the first and then wasting our 2nd on someone like Cook. Ramsey/Cook would have me puking.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

If we sign Jack Crawford he plays DE as well as the 3 technique spot. I mean if Hardy goes Gregory is your starting RE next year and I think he will be great. What we need is a solid guy to rotate in as our third DE. We have run defenders that can shift out to DE already. Drew Ott out of Iowa would be a great draft pick. This is a guy who would have been a second rounder probably out of Iowa. Tore his ACL this year and is petitioning for another year of eligibility. All indications are that he will lose that petition. But look at his numbers. The guy is a stud. He had like 5 sacks this season before he got hurt in week 6. He had 8 sacks as a Junior.

That's the type of guy I would be looking at for a DE in this draft. I wouldn't go after a guy at the top like Lawson. Lawson doesn't look like he has the elite burst you want out of that type of pick either.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What this entire year lent the impression that Gregory was a "piece" of anything? He pretty much stunk as a starter and needs a lot more time to develop.

DLaw is on the rise, and now he's got to put in the offseason time to be able start the season the same way he finishes.

Tyrone Crawford has to remain healthy, and if he can he's solid at 3T.

Irvin and Jack Crawford are good depth guys-- each with star potential. No way either should have been behind Gregory, but of course he still got a ton of PT (when he wasn't injured) because he was a 2nd round pick.

But it's mostly pointless while we're so weak at 1-Tech. The "Rushmen" defense doesn't work without a seriously strong anchor.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But it's mostly pointless while we're so weak at 1-Tech. The "Rushmen" defense doesn't work without a seriously strong anchor.
I don't even care about a strong anchor as much as I just despise a guy on the field who does absolutely nothing. That's what Hayden was. He is a 6'4" 300 lb DT who hasn't registered a single sack in 3 seasons. So basically you get a guy who isn't all that big or strong against the run who also is horrific bad at rushing the passer or pushing the pocket. It's one thing to not put a high value on the one technique in this defense but at least put someone out there who is capable of doing something worthwhile.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't even care about a strong anchor as much as I just despise a guy on the field who does absolutely nothing. That's what Hayden was. He is a 6'4" 300 lb DT who hasn't registered a single sack in 3 seasons. So basically you get a guy who isn't all that big or strong against the run who also is horrific bad at rushing the passer or pushing the pocket. It's one thing to not put a high value on the one technique in this defense but at least put someone out there who is capable of doing something worthwhile.
Marinelli often says Hayden "grades out" among the team's best lineman. It makes me wonder if Jerry Jones' occasionally yanks Marinelli out of his own ass like some kind of obscene ben wa ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Marinelli often says Hayden "grades out" among the team's best lineman. It makes me wonder if Jerry Jones' occasionally yanks Marinelli out of his own ass like some kind of obscene ben wa ball.
Yet he grades out as the worst starting NFL DT annually by everyone else.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's not hard to figure out, Hayden knows what is asked of him within the structure of the scheme and generally does it, apparently. Marinelli doesn't highly value the 1-technique, so this is what you get, a try hard, hustle guy who barely has any actual NFL talent.

Now, I have absolutely no problem with a guy like that if we're talking about our 4th or 5th DT, but a starter who is playing 35-40ish snaps a game?

Nah.

If we walk into next season with a DT group consisting of Tyrone Crawford, Ahtyba Rubin, 2nd or 3rd round pick (Kenny Clark, Vernon Butler, Sheldon Rankins), Nick Hayden, Terrell McClain and DE/DT Jack Crawford rotating in, I'd be happy as hell.

Top Bottom