Do you bring Hardy back?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd rather have Goff or Wentz.
Goff won't be a trade down target. Wentz might not be either when it is said and done.

I am not advocating taking Elliott at 4. No way.

But I want a back. Damn high. We can improve on McFadden. And we need a real backup for him. It cannot just be ignored because we think he had a good year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Maybe but would you rather go Elliott in the first and end up with Connor Cook or Kevin Hogan later on or QB in the first and a guy like Alex Collins or Paul Perkins in the 3rd?
I'll take Goff or Wentz in the 1st and Collins in the 3rd, thanks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe but would you rather go Elliott in the first and end up with Connor Cook or Kevin Hogan later on or QB in the first and a guy like Alex Collins or Paul Perkins in the 3rd?
Collins, Kenneth Dixon, that's along the lines of what I am talking about. Not a fan of Perkins.

Cotton

Staff member
Goff won't be a trade down target. Wentz might not be either when it is said and done.

I am not advocating taking Elliott at 4. No way.

But I want a back. Damn high. We can improve on McFadden. And we need a real backup for him. It cannot just be ignored because we think he had a good year.
I'm not advocating trading down for the QB. I'm saying I don't trade down to take a RB in the 1st. I had rather stay put and take either Goff or Wentz.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not advocating trading down for the QB. I'm saying I don't trade down to take a RB in the 1st. I had rather stay put and take either Goff or Wentz.
Uh. We have a draft thread for this. :tippytoe

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Collins, Kenneth Dixon, that's along the lines of what I am talking about. Not a fan of Perkins.
Sure, my point is that if we want to come out of this draft with a legitimate potential future starter at QB and an RB the best route is probably go QB first then RB and not vice versa.

Or just sign Lamar Miller.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Mincey: Tension grew in Cowboys locker room with Greg Hardy
Jeffrey Kahn - 24 hours ago 7

The Dallas Cowboys knew exactly what they were getting themselves into when they signed Greg Hardy last March.

The former Carolina Panthers defensive end carried plenty of baggage after sitting out for nearly a full season in 2014. Yet, Hardy was viewed as a leader almost the second he signed the dotted line at Valley Ranch and became a Cowboy last offseason. The Cowboys did their best to welcome him and at least make him feel at home given his recent history in the NFL.

Cowboys defensive end Jeremy Mincey had a great view of Hardy all year as he sat right next to him in the locker room. Mincey went on "Open Mike" with Fox 4's Mike Doocy Sunday night and discussed his pass-rushing teammate.

Did Hardy wear out his welcome in the locker room this year?

"Well, I wouldn't say. I didn't look at him like that. He sits right beside me so he's welcomed everyday, you know what I mean? I have to deal with him," Mincey said. "Being that you have to deal with him, I grew accustomed to a misunderstood person, and I got to know him a little better than a lot of people did.

"It was tough. You had this guy who you want to be a leader and then you had that guy. It was just too much."

Part of the difficulty to Hardy's stay in Dallas was his inability to become that leader he was originally viewed as. Hardy was reportedly late to team meetings and his teammates "began to sour on him late in the season.”

Did Mincey see that tension growing in the locker room all season?

"Yeah, it definitely grew," Mincey said. "I hate it happening. You're talking about a team that was so close knit and tight and then all of the sudden, it's just different. I wouldn't say he's the reason for that happening. But sometimes if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And sometimes with change, the team is different regardless of how great this athlete is, regardless of this and that. If they're not mentally on the same page, you're not going to get the same result."

Mincey and Hardy are both free agents this offseason and both players have enjoyed their stays in Dallas. Mincey has openly stated his willingness to come back and Hardy has somewhat done the same.

Mincey believes only one of them will get to return to the Cowboys in 2016.

"It will be me or him," Mincey said. "You'll have either or. It's hard to have two type of line mentality guys in one room, so it's tough to figure out who the younger guys are going to follow. Of course they're going to look up to a guy who is a prolific player, but I just understand the game and I know what it takes to win it."

The Cowboys will have a decision to make with free agency set to begin on March 15.
==============================================================================

I would not bring him back uless it was below market value and even then I would have pause.

There are to many young guys on this defense to have that type of guy influencing the lockeroom, it's kind of a Deon situation all over again and he is not that level of player and this team is not mentally strong enough to handle it.

Also this shows that there is still not the level of leadership on this team that is needed, I am for bringing in a couple of veterans who can play that could help the culture.

I know a lot of this had to do with the losing but it's still not something you like hearing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not surprised to see a little sour grapes from Mincey. He basically lost his spot to Hardy and barely played as a result. On top of the Mincey won't be coming back next year if we bring Hardy back so there is definitely some motivation there.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Mincey considers himself a "top of the line" mentality guy?

Ok what does that mean? He views himself as the top dog? If so then :picard

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Nope. Send him down the road.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Not surprised to see a little sour grapes from Mincey. He basically lost his spot to Hardy and barely played as a result. On top of the Mincey won't be coming back next year if we bring Hardy back so there is definitely some motivation there.
This is true and has to taken into account but it's not like this stuff is appearing out of nowhere.

And if he is totally off base he is not going to be welcomed back into the lockerroom either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mincey considers himself a "top of the line" mentality guy?

Ok what does that mean? He views himself as the top dog? If so then :picard
No shit. He is just trying to down Hardy to make it more likely Jerry's dumb ass gives him his final contract to be even more ordinary.

Cotton

Staff member
Why is it that Mincey is the only one saying this?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'll take Goff or Wentz in the 1st and Collins in the 3rd, thanks.
But the thing is it's not Wentz and Collins vs Elliot and Cook, you have to add what you get in the trade which would probably be another high 2nd that could be a droping J. Smith or Clark or either of the Fullers or Calhoun, etc.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But the thing is it's not Wentz and Collins vs Elliot and Cook, you have to add what you get in the trade which would probably be another high 2nd that could be a droping J. Smith or Clark or either of the Fullers or Calhoun, etc.
If we trade back I still wouldn't take Elliot. I'd rather take a different RB later and use the traded down first rounder to take a DT or WR. It would be very difficult for Elliot to be the top player on my board for the Cowboys in the first round. Not impossible but also not very likely. RB's just aren't really that important in the NFL.

Cotton

Staff member
I have come to the conclusion I want nothing to do with Cook.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is it that Mincey is the only one saying this?
I'm sure the locker room was a little tense. That's what happens when your team loses what, 7 games straight? Any time that happen the players are going to be tense. Especially when you're coming off a great season and expected to be back in that position. I'm sure Hardy wasn't a guy who was ok with that type of losing. It's just not his mentality.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have come to the conclusion I want nothing to do with Cook.
I'm not there yet but it is certainly starting to look like one of the top 3 QB or I wouldn't waste my time. Maybe a late rounder but it seems like a big drop after the top 3. The interesting thing about the top 3 is that I don't think they are in any particular order at this point.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That is true, although I doubt many of those guys that you mention would be around in the middle of the 2nd aside from Calhoun or one of the Fullers.

As for QB, I agree that there is a huge drop after the top 3, if we don't get one of them I think I'd rather just sit back and grab a guy like Brandon Allen late rather than taking a guy like Cook in the 2nd.

Top Bottom