Jared Goff vs Paxton Lynch

Jiggyfly

Banned
I honestly don't even know where to start.

Let me just say this - I'm 100% sure that I have a better understanding of the air raid, it's varieties, it's origin and it's evolution. I've studies it extensively, been to the clinics, heard it from the horses mouth, read the books, installed it more than once myself and so on. I pretty much dedicated myself to learning all about it because I patterned my coaching and systems after Leach. I've always ran a contrarian offense and defense because you can make up for talent gaps with things that inexperienced (and often experienced) coaches can't adjust to it well.

Unfortunately you are forcing me to defend Leach who I don't even respect anymore.

There is just no use because you are wrong about more than one thing and I have NEVER witnessed you come close to admitting that you are wrong.
Skid what are you even arguing about?

When have I questioned your or anybody else's understanding of the air raid?

Also there is nothing I said that was wrong, everything in that post is a verifiable fact.

What is there to defend Leach about anyway do you actually think evrything being done with the Spread now comes from the air raid or that Leach invented it from whole cloth.

And if you actually want to answer this instead of being passive aggressive respond in the college chatter thread.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
~scrolls back up to my post that started all of this~

You're welcome, everyone.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Skid what are you even arguing about?

When have I questioned your or anybody else's understanding of the air raid?

Also there is nothing I said that was wrong, everything in that post is a verifiable fact.

What is there to defend Leach about anyway do you actually think evrything being done with the Spread now comes from the air raid or that Leach invented it from whole cloth.

And if you actually want to answer this instead of being passive aggressive respond in the college chatter thread.
First, Leach did not invent the air raid Mumme did but he was the one to really bring it to the forefront of CFB first with when he brought it to OU and the TTU. Basically nobody ran it on the national stage until then. He was ridiculed for being an idiot, that it was a pure gimmick, that nobody would ever win anything with it and so forth. Funny thing is that we heard so many aggies talk trash about the system back in the day. Leach stuck it out for over a decade while others that he taught moved on to spread they good news. Pretty much through that every conference has been effected by it now. Just about the entire Big 12 runs it.

Lavell did have some influence but you are talking about a small part of his offense translates. Some of the ideas came from stolen concepts of Switzer's (that's a shock, I know).

The air raid is pretty unique and has some base tendencies that all of the Leach's disciples still use. Holgerson has some extra stuff, Kliff does...lots of people do. But no, the run and shoot and air raid aren't one in the same.

Then you have the Franklin air raid which is a little different. Texas high schools were running it before it was cool.

But you have to be really naive or have an agenda to say that Leach didn't have a enormous impact on college football. It is really remarkable for someone who was made fun of for so long until now the air raid is the norm.

Jiggyfly

Banned
First, Leach did not invent the air raid Mumme did but he was the one to really bring it to the forefront of CFB first with when he brought it to OU and the TTU. Basically nobody ran it on the national stage until then. He was ridiculed for being an idiot, that it was a pure gimmick, that nobody would ever win anything with it and so forth. Funny thing is that we heard so many aggies talk trash about the system back in the day. Leach stuck it out for over a decade while others that he taught moved on to spread they good news. Pretty much through that every conference has been effected by it now. Just about the entire Big 12 runs it.

Lavell did have some influence but you are talking about a small part of his offense translates. Some of the ideas came from stolen concepts of Switzer's (that's a shock, I know).

The air raid is pretty unique and has some base tendencies that all of the Leach's disciples still use. Holgerson has some extra stuff, Kliff does...lots of people do. But no, the run and shoot and air raid aren't one in the same.

Then you have the Franklin air raid which is a little different. Texas high schools were running it before it was cool.

But you have to be really naive or have an agenda to say that Leach didn't have a enormous impact on college football. It is really remarkable for someone who was made fun of for so long until now the air raid is the norm.
Answered in the chatter thread.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I honestly don't even know where to start.

Let me just say this - I'm 100% sure that I have a better understanding of the air raid, it's varieties, it's origin and it's evolution. I've studies it extensively, been to the clinics, heard it from the horses mouth, read the books, installed it more than once myself and so on. I pretty much dedicated myself to learning all about it because I patterned my coaching and systems after Leach. I've always ran a contrarian offense and defense because you can make up for talent gaps with things that inexperienced (and often experienced) coaches can't adjust to it well.

Unfortunately you are forcing me to defend Leach who I don't even respect anymore.

There is just no use because you are wrong about more than one thing and I have NEVER witnessed you come close to admitting that you are wrong.
Pretty much this. To say anyone invented anything in football from whole cloth is madness, and to diminish the impact of a coach who revolutionized the game on any level is equally ridiculous.

Walter Camp invented the T-formation in 1882. When Clark Shaughnessy and George Halas reinvented it (Prior to that the best passing in the NFL was out of the single-wing) as a passing formation and won the NFL Championship 73-0 they were not copying Walter Camp. They were innovating offensive football. The reinvention of the T-Formation led to the Pro-Style offense, with Tight-Ends, Split Ends and Flankers as we know them today.

To say otherwise about Mike Leach and the Air Raid is small minded, stupid and ridiculous.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Pretty much this. To say anyone invented anything in football from whole cloth is madness, and to diminish the impact of a coach who revolutionized the game on any level is equally ridiculous.

Walter Camp invented the T-formation in 1882. When Clark Shaughnessy and George Halas reinvented it (Prior to that the best passing in the NFL was out of the single-wing) as a passing formation and won the NFL Championship 73-0 they were not copying Walter Camp. They were innovating offensive football. The reinvention of the T-Formation led to the Pro-Style offense, with Tight-Ends, Split Ends and Flankers as we know them today.

To say otherwise about Mike Leach and the Air Raid is small minded, stupid and ridiculous.
Is the date of the invention of the T Formation a typo? 1982 hardly fits the Walter Camp era. I remember that formation when I was a kid.

Top Bottom