New/Used SUV opinions requested

DLK150

DCC 4Life
In the market for a used SUV or pickup, checked locally and have zeroed in on two that have decent/good Carfax reports. Both are early 00's Chevy Trailblazers with what are supposed to be solid GM Atlas straight six engines. 4WD and a hitch are must haves for the winters around here and I will be using it to haul equipment and materials.

One is a 2003 LTZ with only 85,000 miles on it, cosmetically I like it better. The Carfax raises no red flags but the service record is spotty and it's at the top of what I'm willing to spend at $7,400(Cash).

The other is a 2004 LT with 115,000 miles, clean cosmetically, good Carfax report but an extensive service record so I know it's been maintained. It's listed for $5,000 and I could probably get the price down as a cash buyer.

I could probably get 100,000 miles easily out of either one and that's all I really ask for as I don't do a lot of driving.

My dilemma is, I'm a cheapskate. Half of me likes the 2003 based on the low mileage, trim package and looks as well as being within my price range even if it's at the top but the piker in me wants to pay less for the 2004. I've driven both, they both run and drive well, no leaks, no funny noises, no issues with the drivetrain.

I've also looked at some extended/club cab pickups as well as rear seating is a priority. Came across a 2000 Silverado 2500 extended cab which is mostly sound cosmetically(Cracked/torn leather) but I haven't driven it, it has 178,000 miles, will be a lower MPG vehicle and they dropped the price quite a bit in a short period from $5,700 to under $5,000 after only being in inventory for a few weeks and that's a bit of a red flag for me. It also sits higher so my better half and mother-in-law would have issues getting in and out.

Here are the ones I am looking at, I would appreciate any opinions:

http://www.omariauto.com/2003_Chevrolet_TrailBlazer_South Bend_IN_259583309.veh

http://www.homestreetautosales.com/2004_Chevrolet_TrailBlazer_Mishawaka_IN_260151545.veh

The pickup just for kicks even though it's a distant third:

http://www.shmotorsales.com/2000-Chevrolet-Silverado2500/Used-Truck/Elkhart-IN/6781629/Details.aspx

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
In the market for a used SUV or pickup, checked locally and have zeroed in on two that have decent/good Carfax reports. Both are early 00's Chevy Trailblazers with what are supposed to be solid GM Atlas straight six engines. 4WD and a hitch are must haves for the winters around here and I will be using it to haul equipment and materials.

One is a 2003 LTZ with only 85,000 miles on it, cosmetically I like it better. The Carfax raises no red flags but the service record is spotty and it's at the top of what I'm willing to spend at $7,400(Cash).

The other is a 2004 LT with 115,000 miles, clean cosmetically, good Carfax report but an extensive service record so I know it's been maintained. It's listed for $5,000 and I could probably get the price down as a cash buyer.

I could probably get 100,000 miles easily out of either one and that's all I really ask for as I don't do a lot of driving.

My dilemma is, I'm a cheapskate. Half of me likes the 2003 based on the low mileage, trim package and looks as well as being within my price range even if it's at the top but the piker in me wants to pay less for the 2004. I've driven both, they both run and drive well, no leaks, no funny noises, no issues with the drivetrain.

I've also looked at some extended/club cab pickups as well as rear seating is a priority. Came across a 2000 Silverado 2500 extended cab which is mostly sound cosmetically(Cracked/torn leather) but I haven't driven it, it has 178,000 miles, will be a lower MPG vehicle and they dropped the price quite a bit in a short period from $5,700 to under $5,000 after only being in inventory for a few weeks and that's a bit of a red flag for me. It also sits higher so my better half and mother-in-law would have issues getting in and out.

Here are the ones I am looking at, I would appreciate any opinions:

http://www.omariauto.com/2003_Chevrolet_TrailBlazer_South Bend_IN_259583309.veh

http://www.homestreetautosales.com/2004_Chevrolet_TrailBlazer_Mishawaka_IN_260151545.veh

The pickup just for kicks even though it's a distant third:

http://www.shmotorsales.com/2000-Chevrolet-Silverado2500/Used-Truck/Elkhart-IN/6781629/Details.aspx
I really like those straight six engines, I wish GM had offered them in more vehicles.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I would lean more to the 2004 w/115k miles just based on the maintenance record. That would be important to me over mileage or cosmetic.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Thanks guys and yeah, I was already leaning in that direction. I missed out on a 1998(99?) GMC Jimmy awhile back because I was waiting on an insurance policy to be processed. It was an even better deal than the 2004 TB but I didn't have the $$ at the time.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Thanks guys and yeah, I was already leaning in that direction. I missed out on a 1998(99?) GMC Jimmy awhile back because I was waiting on an insurance policy to be processed. It was an even better deal than the 2004 TB but I didn't have the $$ at the time.
Where are you located because those prices seem kind of steep for trucks that old.

But I have never shopped for those types of vehicles.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Where are you located because those prices seem kind of steep for trucks that old.

But I have never shopped for those types of vehicles.
Northern Indiana up by South Bend. Strong market for utility vehicles around here and pickups generally run higher than SUVs, particularly 4x4s because we're one of the snowiest areas in the country.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Northern Indiana up by South Bend. Strong market for utility vehicles around here and pickups generally run higher than SUVs, particularly 4x4s because we're one of the snowiest areas in the country.
I see and those prices don't seem that bad considering the mileage after I looked it up.

I would go with the cheaper option if the overall condition is close.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I see and those prices don't seem that bad considering the mileage after I looked it up.

I would go with the cheaper option if the overall condition is close.
Yep, the mileage is a consideration for both but they both have the good GM straight six. Pretty decent output for a six cylinder too, around 270 HP/torque. They're both in good condition overall, little to no rust on the undercarriage, straight bodies, no accident history. Plus, $2,500 dollars is $2,500 dollars. If something major did go wrong with it down the road, I would still have that money to apply to it.

I didn't care much about having a 4WD/AWD vehicle until the last couple of winters, including the one where we ended up with 10 feet of snow for the season and our reliable FWD Bonneville struggled with it. Plus, the local street department hasn't done a very good job clearing the local roads in recent years.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
FWIW, I passed on the '04. It looked the part until I took a flashlight along and checked the undercarriage. Rusty as hell and not just surface rust. It has an under mount spare and the mount had spots that were 67% rusted through on both sides of the spare. Rusty old shocks and the strut mounts in the engine compartment were rusted through part way. Mismatched tires only have about 20% tread on them. Dealer comes out to check in, I mention the rust and he acknowledges it and proceeds to say that he'll take $4,000 for it ($1,000 off) and let it go or it's going to auction this week before I've even test driven it. He also mentioned an issue with a part involved with the timing.

Started right up, heat kicked in right away. Engine seemed to run fine, moved between 2WD, Auto 4WD and 4WD hi fine, slowed down to put it into 4WD low and it jerked and went *CHUNK*. Rode fine despite the rusty shocks but my friend and I agreed that I would be putting $$ into it within a year on top of at least $500 for new tires almost immediately. I wasn't expecting perfection but between some of the defects and the dealer knocking 20% off and saying he'll just put it in an auction despite only having it a month, well, let's just say I wasn't comfortable with it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
FWIW, I passed on the '04. It looked the part until I took a flashlight along and checked the undercarriage. Rusty as hell and not just surface rust. It has an under mount spare and the mount had spots that were 67% rusted through on both sides of the spare. Rusty old shocks and the strut mounts in the engine compartment were rusted through part way. Mismatched tires only have about 20% tread on them. Dealer comes out to check in, I mention the rust and he acknowledges it and proceeds to say that he'll take $4,000 for it ($1,000 off) and let it go or it's going to auction this week before I've even test driven it. He also mentioned an issue with a part involved with the timing.

Started right up, heat kicked in right away. Engine seemed to run fine, moved between 2WD, Auto 4WD and 4WD hi fine, slowed down to put it into 4WD low and it jerked and went *CHUNK*. Rode fine despite the rusty shocks but my friend and I agreed that I would be putting $$ into it within a year on top of at least $500 for new tires almost immediately. I wasn't expecting perfection but between some of the defects and the dealer knocking 20% off and saying he'll just put it in an auction despite only having it a month, well, let's just say I wasn't comfortable with it.
Those up north vehicles really suffer from rust due to salting roads. I don't think about it down here.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Those up north vehicles really suffer from rust due to salting roads. I don't think about it down here.
Yeah, it's something we look out for around here. They've switched over to a different snow thawing method but that was well after this car was made. I have a body guy who could probably repair and tidy up the undercarriage but that will be a cost. Then throw in new tires, getting the drivetrain looked at, and even with $1,000 off it's above the original price. Dang shame, because if even one of those negatives were removed, it would probably be worth it because over all, the body and engine are sound. When the guy came out and basically said $1,000 off or I'm sending it off to auction, my friend and I just looked at each other.

They had another Trailblazer that was listed at $6,000 but it was an EXT and I don't have a need for 3rd row seating. Keyless entry but they don't have a key fob, a plain Ilya aftermarket key and it's over 145,000 miles. Ran fine, didn't have the rust issues, looked clean but it's actually more than I need. I'm not going to pay even more for extra seating that I don't need but 30,000 more miles.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dang shame, because if even one of those negatives were removed, it would probably be worth it because over all, the body and engine are sound. When the guy came out and basically said $1,000 off or I'm sending it off to auction, my friend and I just looked at each other.
I kind of wonder if he is really going to put it in an auction though. It may have just been a salesman trying to put pressure on you to close the sale. They know that if you walk out of there without buying it that day that their odds of making the sale go way down. So he didn't want you to think you could leave and just come back a week or two down the road.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I kind of wonder if he is really going to put it in an auction though. It may have just been a salesman trying to put pressure on you to close the sale. They know that if you walk out of there without buying it that day that their odds of making the sale go way down. So he didn't want you to think you could leave and just come back a week or two down the road.
I would have been fine with it for $4,000 without the issues and since he came out and said that before I'd even taken it for a test drive, it just makes me wary. I recently bought a car for my better half's daughter and I had to haggle just to get $200 off the listed price on a $3,000 vehicle. To have someone offer to take 20% off the price before it's even been test driven is a red flag to me. Plus, he said it had already been test driven earlier that day and they walked away from it as well. It's only been there for a month and it just seems like he wants to get it off his lot.

I might call and ask if he'll go down to $3,500 or so. That would cover taxes, registration, etc and still leave me some money to put into it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yeah, it's something we look out for around here. They've switched over to a different snow thawing method but that was well after this car was made. I have a body guy who could probably repair and tidy up the undercarriage but that will be a cost. Then throw in new tires, getting the drivetrain looked at, and even with $1,000 off it's above the original price. Dang shame, because if even one of those negatives were removed, it would probably be worth it because over all, the body and engine are sound. When the guy came out and basically said $1,000 off or I'm sending it off to auction, my friend and I just looked at each other.

They had another Trailblazer that was listed at $6,000 but it was an EXT and I don't have a need for 3rd row seating. Keyless entry but they don't have a key fob, a plain Ilya
aftermarket key and it's over 145,000 miles. Ran fine, didn't have the rust issues, looked clean but it's actually more than I need. I'm not going to pay even more for extra seating that I don't need but 30,000 more miles.
What if you came at that guy with 3k cash?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What if you came at that guy with 3k cash?
If I have learned anything from Gas Monkey the key is to physically have the cash on you and show it to the person.

Oh who a I kidding, as a lawyer when my client brings in cash and shows it in front of me it is really difficult to say no.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If I had $3,000 cash in hand, maybe but I would still have to address this vehicle's issues. I would still have money in my account regardless but I'm between jobs and don't want to sacrifice more of that "cash" cushion than I have to.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If I have learned anything from Gas Monkey the key is to physically have the cash on you and show it to the person.

Oh who a I kidding, as a lawyer when my client brings in cash and shows it in front of me it is really difficult to say no.
And as soon as you guys get the money the urgency somehow goes away.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
And as soon as you guys get the money the urgency somehow goes away.
If it goes away, so do I. They aren't the only show in town, there are easily a dozen used car dealers within 10 miles of here and probably 30 within 25 miles. I can actually afford up to $10,000, I'm just trying to stay as low as possible.

Top Bottom