Coach Firing/Hiring Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He has been an offensive coordinator for the Bengals. They finished 15th in the NFL in total offense this year. They finished 15th in 2014.

Prior to that he was a position coach. Prior to that he was a head coach with the Raiders where he never achieved a winning record. Before that he was an offensive coordinator in Oakland when his offense finished a respectable 10th in the NFL. Before that position coach again. If you go back to his offensive coordinator days at Atlanta in 2007 his offense finished 23rd.

So yeah, he hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire with his offenses. Respectable offense maybe but nothing I can see that would make him a hot candidate.
I would say a couple things in response.

One, and let's get this out of the way up front, to say he never had a winning record in Oakland is accurate, and a very disingenuous way to state his record there. He had one season there. One. That's certainly not enough time to properly evaluate a HC.

Plus, that one season, he was 8-8. To characterize that as "never achieved a winning record" is a joke. He was one game off from a winning record. And, it should go without saying that getting even to .500 with the Raiders back then is a Jesus-level miracle. Prior to this season they've been a dumpster fire since forever.

Second, the coordinator rankings don't necessarily reflect a candidate's worthiness as a hC, for myriad reasons. There's a litany of examples. That said, his resume as a coordinator is solid.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Sparano reportedly joining Vikings as offensive line coach

Posted by Josh Alper on January 13, 2016, 5:19 PM EST

The Vikings didn’t renew the contract of offensive line coach Jeff Davidson earlier this week and they’re reportedly replacing him with Tony Sparano.

Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Sparano has landed the job on Mike Zimmer’s coaching staff. Zimmer and Sparano previously worked together on the Cowboys staff when Bill Parcells was the head coach in Dallas.

Sparano spent this season as the tight ends coach for the 49ers and has had two stints as a head coach in the NFL. He was the coach in Miami from 2008 until he was fired with three games left in the 2011 season and served as the interim coach of the Raiders for 12 games in 2014 after they relieved Dennis Allen of his duties. He also spent one season as the offensive coordinator for the Jets.

The Vikings offensive line was a weak point over the course of the season. Sparano will be charged with bringing about better production in 2016, an effort that could be helped by the healthy return of center John Sullivan and, assuming he isn’t a cap casualty, right tackle Phil Loadholt after both suffered season-ending injuries.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Second, the coordinator rankings don't necessarily reflect a candidate's worthiness as a hC, for myriad reasons. There's a litany of examples. That said, his resume as a coordinator is solid.
His record as a coordinator isn't what I'd call solid. It is actually the definition of average. Most average coordinating performances don't get you a head coaching job.

And yes he was only a head coach for a blink of an eye. The fact that he didn't last longer is just as much an indictment as anything. Heck teams didn't even offer him an offensive coordinator spot after that grand performance. So since being fired he has worked his way up with average performances as a coordinator.

I'll put money down that the Browns suck under him.

Genghis Khan

Solid IS average.

Lasting one year in Oakland when Crazy Al had become senile isn't an indictment of anything.

Genghis Khan

Tony Sparano reportedly joining Vikings as offensive line coach

Posted by Josh Alper on January 13, 2016, 5:19 PM EST

The Vikings didn’t renew the contract of offensive line coach Jeff Davidson earlier this week and they’re reportedly replacing him with Tony Sparano.

Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Sparano has landed the job on Mike Zimmer’s coaching staff. Zimmer and Sparano previously worked together on the Cowboys staff when Bill Parcells was the head coach in Dallas.

Sparano spent this season as the tight ends coach for the 49ers and has had two stints as a head coach in the NFL. He was the coach in Miami from 2008 until he was fired with three games left in the 2011 season and served as the interim coach of the Raiders for 12 games in 2014 after they relieved Dennis Allen of his duties. He also spent one season as the offensive coordinator for the Jets.

The Vikings offensive line was a weak point over the course of the season. Sparano will be charged with bringing about better production in 2016, an effort that could be helped by the healthy return of center John Sullivan and, assuming he isn’t a cap casualty, right tackle Phil Loadholt after both suffered season-ending injuries.
Excellent hire. Zimmer looks better and better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Solid IS average.

Lasting one year in Oakland when Crazy Al had become senile isn't an indictment of anything.
Sure, and if what he did was actually impressive he would have gotten a better job then assistant secondary coach the following year.

Genghis Khan

Sure, and if what he did was actually impressive he would have gotten a better job then assistant secondary coach the following year.
That doesn't necessarily follow. There areplenty of other plausible reasons -timing, available positions, who you know, etc.

By the way, the Raiders won 4, 4, and 3 games in the three years after Jackson.

Genghis Khan

For the record, I'm going to go ahead and predict the eagles will hire McAdoo as HC. A lot of people are saying Pederson, but I have a funny feeling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That doesn't necessarily follow. There areplenty of other plausible reasons -timing, available positions, who you know, etc.

By the way, the Raiders won 4, 4, and 3 games in the three years after Jackson.
Like I said I just don't get it. If he is a hot name now but he wasn't back then. What has he done since then to become a hot name?

Maybe he will bring the Browns to the playoffs. I could be totally wrong on Hue Jackson. I just don't see it.

Genghis Khan

Like I said I just don't get it. If he is a hot name now but he wasn't back then. What has he done since then to become a hot name?

Maybe he will bring the Browns to the playoffs. I could be totally wrong on Hue Jackson. I just don't see it.
We'll see I guess. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he fails in Cleveland. They've had I think something like 8 coaches in 15 years. It's a hard place to succeed.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Genghis Khan

This is kind of cool.

McAdoo is a effin' novice just like Garrett. Not impressed.
I don't know much about him but I get the feeling they didn't want Eli to lose his OC more than they wanted McAdoo as HC.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know much about him but I get the feeling they didn't want Eli to lose his OC more than they wanted McAdoo as HC.
That's still a fucking stupid thing to do. Coughlin still had a year left.

The issue with that team was talent, it was on Reese.

This was a great move in terms of keeping the rest of the division mediocre.

Unless McAdoo is a thinner Andy Reid, I don't see it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Should be interesting.

I don't always think that great players make great coaches.

Genghis Khan

That's still a fucking stupid thing to do. Coughlin still had a year left.

The issue with that team was talent, it was on Reese.

This was a great move in terms of keeping the rest of the division mediocre.

Unless McAdoo is a thinner Andy Reid, I don't see it.
Totally agree.

Top Bottom