Rams Return To Los Angeles

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Here come the St Louis Raiders
Either that or the San Diego Raiders. I'd prefer they work something out in Oakland but that probably isn't going to happen. Next best is at least keeping them in CA.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Huge Cowboys fanbase in San Antonio. Jerry would do everything in his power to keep an NFL franchise out of that city.
Pretty sure he could. Be he didn't stop McNair from getting the Texans.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Either that or the San Diego Raiders. I'd prefer they work something out in Oakland but that probably isn't going to happen. Next best is at least keeping them in CA.
The league is offering financial assistance to Oakland and San Diego. Could still happen.

data

Forbes #1
I wonder if Jerruh supports the move because he could strengthen the Cowboys fanbase there.

even Kansas city it's pretty much dallas as #2.

data

Forbes #1
The league is offering financial assistance to Oakland and San Diego. Could still happen.
Why the hell would I refuse to go to the largest one or two market in the USA that already has approval for a new 2019 stadium?

to stay loyal to a market that has had multiple blackouts in recent years?

even with a new San Diego stadium, the revenues couldn't possibly be close to what the LA revenues will be.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Pretty sure he could. Be he didn't stop McNair from getting the Texans.
Yeah, but Houston is an entirely different story since they were an NFL city for years. I don't think the majority of Oilers fans adopted the Cowboys as their team when they split for Nashville. Some did but a lot became Titans fans and others were just pissed and didn't develop a particular allegiance to another team. Most Oilers fans I knew disliked everything about the Cowboys (and there seems to be a natural rivalry between Houston and D/FW that extends beyond sports from what I can tell from having lived in Houston for a couple years).

I'm sure there is a percentage of Texans fans in San Antonio (particularly transplants from the Houston area) but it is Cowboys fans by a vast majority and a lot of that would be wiped out if they got their own team. They would inevitably lose a lot of potential fans in the Austin area in future generations too because San Antonio is only 80 miles from here and it would be the local team for kids in this city as well.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
This local article just came across my Twitter feed. San Marcos would be the perfect place for a stadium because it is basically halfway between Austin and San Antonio. Still think as long as Jerry is around (and then Stephen following him) it would be very difficult to push through because of all the future Cowboys fans it would eliminate and the article references that. I would be all for it because that is 30 minutes from my house and it would be nice to have an NFL team so close, but I just don't see it happening.
---------------------------------------------

Could Austin-San Antonio land an NFL stadium? Speculation resurfaces
By John Egan

As talk has been rekindled about an NFL franchise relocating to San Antonio, speculation has surfaced about where that team might play. Some of that speculation has centered on what essentially is the center point between San Antonio and Austin: the fast-growing suburb of San Marcos.

Giving rise to that chatter is a story from sports website Bleacher Report indicating that Mark Davis, owner of the Oakland Raiders — an NFL team shopping for a new home — has purchased land somewhere between San Antonio and Austin that purportedly could be the site of a new stadium for the Raiders. Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole says the Davis parcel “splits the difference” between San Antonio and Austin. Translation: Someplace in or near San Marcos is the likely spot.

In interviews with CultureMap, officials in San Marcos and Austin say they aren’t aware of such a land deal. Officials in San Antonio also seem to be in the dark, according to media reports.

Whatever the situation with the land, local officials say they’d be delighted to extend an invitation to an NFL team and explore construction of a stadium in our region.

Given its prime location along I-35 and between Austin and San Antonio, San Marcos would be a “natural play” for an NFL stadium, says Lance Aldridge, executive director of the Austin Sports Commission.

“I think it would be an exciting proposal,” Aldridge says of an NFL team and stadium in San Marcos. “We’d kill to have that.”

Adriana Cruz, president of the Greater San Marcos Partnership, a regional economic development agency, says an NFL stadium in San Marcos would align with her nonprofit’s stated goal of accommodating “destination attractions,” such as a major-league sports venue or an amusement park. She also says a stadium would complement San Marcos’ various amenities, particularly the two outlet malls, which collectively draw about 14 million visitors a year.

“Could we be home to a major stadium? Absolutely,” Cruz says.

An NFL stadium in San Marcos is “certainly something that makes a lot of sense — a lot of logistical sense, a lot of economic sense,” she says.

San Marcos sits about 30 miles south of Austin, the 11th largest city in the U.S., and about 40 miles north of San Antonio, the seventh largest city in the U.S. The Austin-San Antonio region is home to more than 4.3 million residents but just one major-league team: the NBA’s San Antonio Spurs. Experts say either the San Antonio metro area or the Austin metro area alone could support an NFL team, but situating an NFL stadium where those areas overlap undoubtedly would fortify the fan base.

For now, it’s impossible to say precisely how much land Davis might have purchased between Austin and San Antonio. But it is safe to say that a stadium project would require dozens of acres. As a means of comparison, U.S. Bank Stadium, under construction as the new home of the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings, will stand on a 38-acre site.

Of course, an NFL stadium in the Austin-San Antonio corridor would come with a hefty price tag: likely more than $1 billion. The NFL’s newest venue — Levi’s Stadium, home of the San Francisco 49ers — cost close to $1.3 billion. Next month, Levi’s Stadium will host Super Bowl 50.

As officials in our region salivate over the possibility of hosting an NFL team, the fate of the Oakland Raiders remains up in the air. The Raiders had sought to move to Los Angeles, but that proposal has been scrapped, and Davis now suggests that he’s not inclined to keep his team in Oakland. NFL owners approved the St. Louis Rams' move to a planned stadium in Los Angeles and gave the San Diego Chargers an option to join the Rams in LA a year later.

Amid the Raiders-Chargers-Rams drama and the buzz about the Oakland team possibly packing up for Texas, Aldridge cautions that the owners of the Lone Star State’s two NFL teams — the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans — might balk at the idea, as a third team could cannibalize their fan bases. Furthermore, he says, Davis merely could be dangling a hypothetical move to Texas as a bargaining chip with Oakland.

“I can’t say it can’t be done,” Aldridge says of an NFL presence in the Austin-San Antonio corridor, “but there are a lot of challenges.”

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I would enjoy that as well.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, but Houston is an entirely different story since they were an NFL city for years. I don't think the majority of Oilers fans adopted the Cowboys as their team when they split for Nashville. Some did but a lot became Titans fans and others were just pissed and didn't develop a particular allegiance to another team. Most Oilers fans I knew disliked everything about the Cowboys (and there seems to be a natural rivalry between Houston and D/FW that extends beyond sports from what I can tell from having lived in Houston for a couple years).

I'm sure there is a percentage of Texans fans in San Antonio (particularly transplants from the Houston area) but it is Cowboys fans by a vast majority and a lot of that would be wiped out if they got their own team. They would inevitably lose a lot of potential fans in the Austin area in future generations too because San Antonio is only 80 miles from here and it would be the local team for kids in this city as well.
Exactly.

San Antonio is the Cowboys' second home. There is no way Jerry would support that.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Funny, he has been giving Oxnard way more attention the last few years.
I think that's a combination of scheduling issues with the Alamo dome, and wanting to keep a frequent presence in the So Cal market.

He'll be back in San Antonio before you know it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom