Jared Goff vs Paxton Lynch

Jiggyfly

Banned
I have not seen much of Lynch but most of those throws are spread throws, his arm strength and ability to throw when flushed or moving are the things that stand out.

Not a lot of timing throws or precise routes there.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm always nervous about QBs that come out of a spreads system. That system hides a much of flaws making it harder to evaluate the player IMO.

Is there an air raid QB that had been successful in the NFL? I can't think of one.
This year's MVP, Cam Newton ran a variation of it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think NFL offenses are going to start getting more and more like college spread offenses because of the lack of pro style offenses producing college QBs. Air Raid and its derivatives are being exported from the Big 12 to all of CFB along with other gimmick offenses like Chip Kelly's and Urban Meyer's. Until someone in college comes up with a repeatable formula to defend these offenses, you'll have to see NFL teams pulling a Carolina and running a "hybrid" with concepts the QBs can come right in and execute.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This year's MVP, Cam Newton ran a variation of it.

That's true. I think their coaching staff has done a really good job with him and the offense as a whole. Watching a game and seeing what they do shows creativity that we could only dream of in Dallas.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think NFL offenses are going to start getting more and more like college spread offenses because of the lack of pro style offenses producing college QBs. Air Raid and its derivatives are being exported from the Big 12 to all of CFB along with other gimmick offenses like Chip Kelly's and Urban Meyer's. Until someone in college comes up with a repeatable formula to defend these offenses, you'll have to see NFL teams pulling a Carolina and running a "hybrid" with concepts the QBs can come right in and execute.
Yea, you're already seeing it with Mariota.

It is a bit concerning to think about what the NFL will look like in 20 years if these dumbed down gimmick offenses basically push pro-style offenses in college to extinction. Right now you still have pro-style offenses floating around here and there thanks to relative purists like Saban, Stanford, etc., but you have to wonder how much longer guys like that will be around since the vast majority of the young OC's these days don't really have much offensive philosophy aside from "go, go, go, faster, faster, faster".

They won't ever be the norm in the NFL because there is too much defensive talent compared to college but it'll definitely continue to erode, if not completely eradicate pro-style skillsets of QB's coming out of college.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Funny how Mike Leach changed all of college football all by himself.

:tippytoe

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a lot of NFL QBs running the read option now. You see Russel Wilson and Cam Newton do a lot of it. You also see a team like the Patriots do a ton of their work from the shotgun with spread formations. So there are parts of the college game that have started to penetrate the NFL. I think you will see more and more of it happen. Especially as the old school QBs start to become extinct. NFL offenses will have no choice but to adjust.

Carp

DCC 4Life
My heart says Goff, but my boner says Lynch.

dallen

Senior Tech
If it keeps working it isn't a gimmick

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
More like Mike Price.
Yeah, with all the Mike Price disciples installing the Air Raid all over college football... No wait, those guys coached and played for Leach.

Here you go with "Kliff learned the Air Raid from Sumlin" theory all over again.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, with all the Mike Price disciples installing the Air Raid all over college football... No wait, those guys coached and played for Leach.

Here you go with "Kliff learned the Air Raid from Sumlin" theory all over again.
He seriously thinks Kliff learned the Air Raid from Sumlin? Really?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Most likely it'll come down to which one is left after the Browns take one of them. It's possible the Browns take Bosa but that'd probably only be the case if neither Goff or Lynch impress during the workouts/combine. If that's the case then we may not like either one at #4. The odds aren't high that the one we like best will be there at #4. And if we aren't comfortable taking the #2 QB 4th, hoping to trade down and get him isn't likely going to happen because any team that will want to trade up will probably be after a QB.

Most likely we'll either have to take the #2 QB prospect at 4 or trade down hoping to get Wentz or we aren't taking a QB in the 1st.

Ideally both top QB's look good and we take one. Otherwise I'd like to trade down and get Wentz or at worse trade down and gain an extra 2nd in the deal while still getting a top 10 caliber player.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most likely it'll come down to which one is left after the Browns take one of them. It's possible the Browns take Bosa but that'd probably only be the case if neither Goff or Lynch impress during the workouts/combine. If that's the case then we may not like either one at #4. The odds aren't high that the one we like best will be there at #4. And if we aren't comfortable taking the #2 QB 4th, hoping to trade down and get him isn't likely going to happen because any team that will want to trade up will probably be after a QB.

Most likely we'll either have to take the #2 QB prospect at 4 or trade down hoping to get Wentz or we aren't taking a QB in the 1st.

Ideally both top QB's look good and we take one. Otherwise I'd like to trade down and get Wentz or at worse trade down and gain an extra 2nd in the deal while still getting a top 10 caliber player.
We will see but I think there is a possibility that we are talking about 3 QBs at the top of this draft and in no particular order after the Senior Bowl. I think teams are a lot higher on Wentz then what "experts" initially realized.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I never said Kliff learned the air raid from Sumlin so stop that bullshit right now.

Everybody does not run the Air Raid, there are different variations of the spread which is a variation of the run and shoot.

So claiming everybody is following Leach is extremely short sided.

Joe tiller who coached Brees is also a person who influenced a lot of what is going on.

Hal Mumme also is a forefather in all of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom