2016 NFL Draft Early Entries

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Don't know if this is a smart move even if he is expected to make a full recovery. He won't be able to compete in the combine so someone is going to just have to take a risk on him. He stays and performs well he is a top 10 pick next year
From the sounds of it, he won't be healthy most of next year, so it would be doubtful he'd be rated that highly. And he took out a loss of value insurance policy on himself before his injury. 5 million if he isn't drafted in the first round.

Cha-Ching.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know if this is a smart move even if he is expected to make a full recovery. He won't be able to compete in the combine so someone is going to just have to take a risk on him. He stays and performs well he is a top 10 pick next year
I bet he still goes in the first round though. We saw that last year with Gurley where everyone thought he would plummet but he really didn't fall all that far. I think someone middle to late in the first will jump on this guy knowing he may get pupped and be ready midseason.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Gurley got hurt almost 3 months earlier than Smith did and still wasn't ready to go until about October, assuming Smith's injury was no worse (which it may have been), that'd have him back around late November to early December at the earliest, with no training camp or OTA's.

If I had to bet I'd guess he still goes in the 1st, but probably not until about 25 or so. The team taking him will basically have to redshirt him.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't know the language in his insurance policy but he was a consensus top 10 pick so it may not take him dropping out of the first round for that policy to kick in. :shrug One thing to remember is, the teams picking later in the draft are those with better records and may be able to afford to "redshirt" him and look at him as an investment. If there's one thing on his side, he doesn't have a history of being injured and this injury was just one of those freak things, even though it was pretty bad.

I doubt we take him because of our draft position unless he does fall out of the first but since the surgery was performed by a Dallas team surgeon, we'll have the inside dirt on the actual surgery.

Good luck to the kid, he carries himself well.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There is absolutely no way you can take a guy who more than likely will give you next to nothing as a rookie with the 4th pick. If he's there with our 2nd I'd have to give it very strong consideration but no way at 4.

If it wasn't for the injury he'd be one of my very top non-QB choices at 4, and he seems like a good kid so I'm definitely rooting for him, as long as he doesn't end up in the division.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is absolutely no way you can take a guy who more than likely will give you next to nothing as a rookie with the 4th pick. If he's there with our 2nd I'd have to give it very strong consideration but no way at 4.

If it wasn't for the injury he'd be one of my very top non-QB choices at 4, and he seems like a good kid so I'm definitely rooting for him, as long as he doesn't end up in the division.
Yeah I wonder how severe the knee injury is. Some can bounce back from these things in 6 months and some it takes much longer.

Either way no way in hell I take him at 4, but I bet someone in the first will at some point. I'm guessing in the 20-30 range.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DT Andrew Billings from Baylor. Closest thing to Aaron Donald in this draft.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Booze isnt the only one to say that.
Pretty sure Aaron Donald had more sacks in one season then Billings has had his whole career. Not that I dislike Billings but there are a number of DT's in this draft that boast similar pass rush ability in my opinion.

Aaron Donald as a Senior had 11 sacks.

Andrew Billings has 7.5 career sacks. (5.5 this season)

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope that doesn't sound like I don't like Billings because that isn't the case. I'll need to watch more of him but everything I read puts him as a first round DT. As bad as this draft is at certain positions it is equally strong at DT. There is a lot of DT talent in this draft.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pretty sure Aaron Donald had more sacks in one season then Billings has had his whole career. Not that I dislike Billings but there are a number of DT's in this draft that boast similar pass rush ability in my opinion.

Aaron Donald as a Senior had 11 sacks.

Andrew Billings has 7.5 career sacks. (5.5 this season)
Dont get caught up in the numbers. Ive heard it from a couple of scouts/player personnel while watching the games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dont get caught up in the numbers. Ive heard it from a couple of scouts/player personnel while watching the games.
I've seen a Mebane comparison...

But in all seriousness I think he is more of a stout guy then Donald, but doesn't have the same type of speed and quickness as a pass rusher. It's hard to have that type of speed and quickness. Especially when you aren't 285lbs like Donald. I think Billings is enough of a quick twitch guy to be viewed at as a 3 technique in our defense and has enough power to also hold up playing the NT spot. I actually have seen a report listing him as a NT.

Interesting fun fact...

The local product was an elite prospect coming out of high school and was considered a top-100 prospect. Billings broke the state powerlifting record as a high schooler, breaking Olympic weightlifter Mark Henry's record. He benched 500 pounds, squatted 805 pounds and deadlifted 705 pounds on the way to the record.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hope that doesn't sound like I don't like Billings because that isn't the case. I'll need to watch more of him but everything I read puts him as a first round DT. As bad as this draft is at certain positions it is equally strong at DT. There is a lot of DT talent in this draft.
It's not intended to be a literal comparison. The first step is not the same and yes, Billings is a freak strongman versus the incredible quickness of Donald. Talking more about the low center of gravity and the ability to disrupt the line of scrimmage and impact the action. To me "closest thing" does not mean physical clone.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It seems to me if you are bringing up Arron Donald as a comparison to anybody in this draft he would have to be in the top 5 discussion.

And I don't see how somebody who only has 7.5 sacks in the pass-happy Big 12 can be considered in Donalds class.

He is definitely somebody to pay attention to but that is some damn high praise.

Also if he is this type of player I have no issue taking him to solidify the 1 tech spot, like Bogger McFarlane.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Billings is nowhere near Donald in terms of Donald's speed, explosiveness off the snap and ability to collapse the pocket. Donald ran an absolutely unreal 4.69 at 285 lbs at the combine, normally I would never look at a DL's 40 time but in this case it confirms what you see on the field, which is unreal quickness and athleticism. If Billings is within .2 of that I'd be pretty shocked.

Billings is fantastic against the run though, has that low center of gravity like Donald and he definitely can rush the passer very well for what he'd be in our system, a 1-technique. If we were picking around 15 or so I'd definitely take him there but 4 is probably a bit too rich for my blood, although excluding QB's I'd probably put him towards the back end of a wish list at 4, consisting of guys like Bosa, Jack, Treadwell, Shaq Lawson and then probably Billings (in no particular order).

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Kevin Dodd, DE Clemson

6-5, 275, absolutely dominant against Oklahoma and Alabama. He's a one year wonder though so that's a concern but I'd give him strong consideration with our 3rd for sure.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kevin Dodd, DE Clemson

6-5, 275, absolutely dominant against Oklahoma and Alabama. He's a one year wonder though so that's a concern but I'd give him strong consideration with our 3rd for sure.
He would be a hell of a left end. Stronger than most.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Billings the more I see of him. He does run really well. I've seen some plays of him running down guys from behind. He is also crazy strong. The guy really seems like a bit of a freak. I think he will be a climber.

Top Bottom