Official Manziel To Dallas? Griffin To Dallas? Thread

BipolarFuk

Demoted
His stats don't look as bad as I remember them. I think durability is my primary concern. Romo with RG3 as backup might end with Kellen Moore starting at QB again at the end of the year.
Coaches would have to drill in this guy's head to run out of bounds and slide quickly. Also, don't draw up running plays for the guy. Running as a QB should be a last resort in a league full of resentful defensive players that love to pulverize QBs when they can legally hit them as a runner. Guy isn't a monster like Newton, don't treat him as such.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His stats don't look as bad as I remember them. I think durability is my primary concern. Romo with RG3 as backup might end with Kellen Moore starting at QB again at the end of the year.
Well durability isn't usually a worry with a backup. But with Romo's collarbone his backup could play a ton.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd much prefer RG3 to the drunk.

He would have been miles better than any of our backups this year. He's still young. Maybe a couple of years behind Romo would do him some good? Take over at 27-28 if he matures as a person and a player. Not impossible.

I agree with you. Which means I'm probably wrong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coaches would have to drill in this guy's head to run out of bounds and slide quickly. Also, don't draw up running plays for the guy. Running as a QB should be a last resort in a league full of resentful defensive players that love to pulverize QBs when they can legally hit them as a runner. Guy isn't a monster like Newton, don't treat him as such.
Russel Wilson runs a bit as well but the guy is built like a RB.

If you want a purely backup QB RGIII's resume actually looks great. He is young. He has one highly productive season under his belt as a starter. A 90.6 career QB rating. He is athletic enough to make plays with his legs if it isn't there with his arm. I mean if I was going to make a list of things I want in my backup QB he would check off most of the boxes. The real question is RGIII's head and is he willing to have the right mentality to be a backup. Backup QBs have to prepare their asses off week in and week out knowing that there is a good chance they won't even play a snap in the game. Not all players have the right mentality to be able to do that and RGIII kind of comes off as a sensitive bitch who couldn't handle it.

If Griffin has the right mentality coming in here, I'd welcome him as our number 2. We could still draft and develop a QB. Griffin would have a chance to rehab his career by playing in 6-10 games this up coming season when Romo goes down. Dallas provides him elite protection and a number 1 WR that he has never seen before. It would be a great fit here for him.

I don't want RGIII as our future at QB but if we pass up drafting a guy this year RGIII probably has the best resume of any backup QB we could pick for Romo.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The real question is RGIII's head and is he willing to have the right mentality to be a backup. Backup QBs have to prepare their asses off week in and week out knowing that there is a good chance they won't even play a snap in the game. Not all players have the right mentality to be able to do that and RGIII kind of comes off as a sensitive bitch who couldn't handle it.
If it is true that he wants to come to Dallas then he has to know it is as a back up with a chance to take over in the future. If not, he's delusional and needs to be elsewhere.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
My main concern with either Manziel or RGIII coming here is I think they and Jerry would have delusions of them being our future starter. Strictly as a backup we could probably do worse, but we definitely don't need the off field baggage, potential locker room distractions/cancer Manziel is likely to bring. And either of them would cause a media circus.

Even if it didn't keep us from taking a top QB prospect in the draft there is just too much off field drama and distractions without the probability of reward. But I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, the problem with RG3 is that I'm sure he won't come here without asking us if we are planning on drafting a QB at 4. He's not gonna want the Kirk Cousins situation all over again.

townsend

Banned
If it is true that he wants to come to Dallas then he has to know it is as a back up with a chance to take over in the future. If not, he's delusional and needs to be elsewhere.
RG seemed to hero worship Romo a little. I think he'd be comfortable playing behind the guy who was the Dallas Cowboys QB when he was a freshman in high school. Especially after getting completely discarded by the Redskins.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have already made my assessment and predictions about RG111 and how his career would trend in the NFL. That has happened and I see nothing to make me think it will go ant different in Dallas. It's a dead issue with me.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd much prefer RG3 to the drunk.

He would have been miles better than any of our backups this year. He's still young. Maybe a couple of years behind Romo would do him some good? Take over at 27-28 if he matures as a person and a player. Not impossible.
I was a big fan of Manziel coming out of the draft, but I would agree with you.

Neither guy is ever gonna be a franchise QB, but RG3 could be a serviceable starter. He simply needs an attitude adjustment.

But Manziel? I think he's a lost cause who is never going to get it. He's one of those guys like Josh Gordon that don't care about jeopardizing their career. They simply refuse to stop doing whatever it is they're doing no matter the consequence.

As Jimmy Johnson says..."I don't care what issues they have so long as I can reason with them"

Well, you can't reason with a guy like Manziel, so it's best to avoid him altogether.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I have already made my assessment and predictions about RG111 and how his career would trend in the NFL. That has happened and I see nothing to make me think it will go ant different in Dallas. It's a dead issue with me.
I don't remember your assessment and predictions on RG3...can you please cut and paste them here.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I was a big fan of Manziel coming out of the draft, but I would agree with you.

Neither guy is ever gonna be a franchise QB, but RG3 could be a serviceable starter. He simply needs an attitude adjustment.
So, by attitude adjustment, you mean a new brain?

It is not a case that this guy knows how to read progressions and function like an NFL QB is supposed to.

And he has had plenty of time to get that shit square, put in the work and pay the price. He failed.

The Manziel/Griffin thing is not quite that simple so you can say there is an advantage over the other.

They both have serious issues, but different.

That's why it sucks that we are likely going to sign one of them.

I just hope it is made easier for Jones with Cleveland retaining Manziel and Griffin going someplace else because he wants to start.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So, by attitude adjustment, you mean a new brain?

It is not a case that this guy knows how to read progressions and function like an NFL QB is supposed to.

And he has had plenty of time to get that shit square, put in the work and pay the price. He failed.

The Manziel/Griffin thing is not quite that simple so you can say there is an advantage over the other.

They both have serious issues, but different.

That's why it sucks that we are likely going to sign one of them.

I just hope it is made easier for Jones with Cleveland retaining Manziel and Griffin going someplace else because he wants to start.
I'd rather avoid them both, but I think we're going to sign one of them.

RG3 has sat out an entire year, so maybe he gained perspective in that time and will be a more humble person who is more receptive to coaching.

No, that doesn't mean he'll be able to read defenses better, but I do think he has enough tools to be a decent starter if we needed one over a 3 or 4 game span.

Regardless of what they do at backup, I just hope it doesn't interfere with taking a guy in the draft. We need a 1st round QB, period.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather avoid them both, but I think we're going to sign one of them.

RG3 has sat out an entire year, so maybe he gained perspective in that time and will be a more humble person who is more receptive to coaching.

No, that doesn't mean he'll be able to read defenses better, but I do think he has enough tools to be a decent starter if we needed one over a 3 or 4 game span.

Regardless of what they do at backup, I just hope it doesn't interfere with taking a guy in the draft. We need a 1st round QB, period.
Other then Manziel and RGIII who is a free agent QB that will perform better as a backup in Dallas? Now I think one of the top 3 rookies could but I assume we will want to sign someone to play backup QB before the draft. Unless our intention is to go QB at 4 and roll with mighty mouse (Kellen Moore).

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't remember your assessment and predictions on RG3...can you please cut and paste them here.
That would have been during 2011 early 2012. I doubt the data base goes back that far now with the crashes we have had but the for the most part he wasn't a QB from a system that teaches pro football plus he was coming out too early before he was fully developed and he was to prone to rely on instincts rather than developed traits. I believed their was a strong likelihood he would be frequently injured. That's a summation. As far as I I concerned he still has those tendencies.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Why would they do that? They could just work with Kaepernick.
Sure, but the franchise as a whole seemed to sour on him. The same GM they had last year...the one making all the personnel decisions...benched him. Unless you think Tomsula made decisions on his own.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Manziel per Iamtdgs post.
I see. But just having him 'great' for a few months in the offseason isn't going to make me want him. It would be good though if he did and said the right things over the next few months to make the Browns decide to keep him. I doubt he does or they do.

But it looks like Jerry will have his pick of over-hyped backup QB for next year. I can hardly wait.

Top Bottom