Archer: Curtis Martin sees some Emmitt Smith in Ezekiel Elliott

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Curtis Martin sees some Emmitt Smith in Ezekiel Elliott
12:00 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Curtis Martin ran for 1,487 yards on 368 carries as a rookie for the New England Patriots in 1995. He scored 15 touchdowns, including 14 rushing.

It was the beginning of a Hall of Fame career that saw him rush for more than 1,100 yards in each of the first 10 seasons of his career.

Even Martin is impressed by what Ezekiel Elliott did in his rookie season with the Dallas Cowboys.

Elliott led the NFL in rushing with 1,631 yards on 322 carries and scored 16 touchdowns, including 15 rushing.

“I know how difficult that is,” Martin said before the NFL Honors program. “So I take my hat off to him. He’s done really well. I hope he continues that way and stays healthy because I think he has a huge future ahead of him.”

Martin entered the NFL as a third-round pick of Bill Parcells after an injury-plagued collegiate career at Pittsburgh, but he missed just eight games in his career with the Patriots and New York Jets. Part of his greatness was health, just as it was for Emmitt Smith, the NFL’s all-time leading rusher.

When Martin watches Elliott, he sees the Cowboys’ Hall of Famer.

“He reminds me so much of Emmitt,” Martin said. “Just all around. They lean forward. They get through the hole, not a lot of dancing. They’ve got very similar lines. So I think they’re the perfect backs for that type of line.”

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I honestly don't see that much that is similar. Zek is much bigger, stronger and faster. Maybe avoiding initial contact? He's good at that. Zek loves to take on contact where Emmitt was a master at avoiding it.

Cotton

Staff member
I honestly don't see that much that is similar. Zek is much bigger, stronger and faster. Maybe avoiding initial contact? He's good at that. Zek loves to take on contact where Emmitt was a master at avoiding it.
But, Zeke only looks for contact at the beginning of games. He has said himself he likes to set the tone. Later in the game he avoids it. That gif I posted is the perfect example of it.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
But, Zeke only looks for contact at the beginning of games. He has said himself he likes to set the tone. Later in the game he avoids it. That gif I posted is the perfect example of it.
Notice I said that he is similar to Emmitt in that he is good at avoiding INITIAL contact which is what is happening in the gif.

Cotton

Staff member
Notice I said that he is similar to Emmitt in that he is good at avoiding INITIAL contact which is what is happening in the gif.
Fair enough. I missed a word. SUE ME!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
After one year, I think he is on track to be better than Emmitt if the staff would slap a saddle on him and ride him like we did Smith.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
After one year, I think he is on track to be better than Emmitt if the staff would slap a saddle on him and ride him like we did Smith.
He certainly is more physically gifted.

Cotton

Staff member
His speed is what sets him apart from Emmitt. Emmitt never had breakaway speed. Elliot absolutely does.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
His speed is what sets him apart from Emmitt. Emmitt never had breakaway speed. Elliot absolutely does.
Elliott can leap and is also more physical. Both have great balance, though I think Emmitt's was superior.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Elliott can leap and is also more physical. Both have great balance, though I think Emmitt's was superior.
I can't see Elliott lasting as long as Emmitt. His game is more physical and that will catch up to you.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I can't see Elliott lasting as long as Emmitt. His game is more physical and that will catch up to you.
I agree. The body structures of Smith and Elliot are different. Smith is low gravity and deflects the impact. Elliot is taller and doesn't deflect as well. The body impact for Elliot is greater and will give in sooner. Smith is a one of a kind and it's not likely anyone will match his longevity for sometime.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Emmitt's durability is very underrated. We rode the hell out of him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Emmitt's durability is very underrated. We rode the hell out of him.
His durability and longevity are going to be hard for any RB to ever match again. At his peak he was as good as any RB but his durability and longevity are what set him apart as being in the greatest ever discussion.

data

Forbes #1
His durability and longevity are going to be hard for any RB to ever match again. At his peak he was as good as any RB but his durability and longevity are what set him apart as being in the greatest ever discussion.
LT had a decent shot at the record, but hit the dreaded 30-year-old-RB wall, only putting up 2 more productive seasons.

Emmitt put up five more 1,000+ scrimmage yard seasons after turning 30-years-old...essentially a second career that's better than the majority of NFL RBs. Emmitt doesn't get enough credit for these 'twilight' years when the Cowboys were perennial 5-11.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
LT had a decent shot at the record, but hit the dreaded 30-year-old-RB wall, only putting up 2 more productive seasons.

Emmitt put up five more 1,000+ scrimmage yard seasons after turning 30-years-old...essentially a second career that's better than the majority of NFL RBs. Emmitt doesn't get enough credit for these 'twilight' years when the Cowboys were perennial 5-11.
He was still a terror in 1999, not just good, but great. That first half of the Vikings game was insane. Who knows what that team could have done if Irvin hadn't broke his neck.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He was still a terror in 1999, not just good, but great. That first half of the Vikings game was insane. Who knows what that team could have done if Irvin hadn't broke his neck.
Did Irving have 2 neck injuries? I recall one with the Panthers.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Did Irving have 2 neck injuries? I recall one with the Panthers.
You don't remember him lying on the carpet in Philly with them cheering? It's what ended his career.

Top Bottom