Super Bowl LI Gameday Chatter | Patriots v. Falcons | 2/5/17

data

Forbes #1
I remember the Ravens vs 49ers Super Bowl several years back. Down by 5 at the end of the game with 1st and goal from the ~5.

Four plays and no Frank Gore runs. Gore was averaging 5.8 YPC, 19-110 yards.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I remember the Ravens vs 49ers Super Bowl several years back. Down by 5 at the end of the game with 1st and goal from the ~5.

I suspect the thought it that teams can stop you when they know exactly what you want to do. Look at the Pats on their two point conversions. Both were essentially trick plays. How bad would have looked if they didn't make it? Why didn't they just have Tom throw a slant or an out?!??!!?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Not even a QB draw from Kaep who was great at it that season.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The 49ers are probably having 2nd thoughts about that rumored Kyle Shanahan hiring.
Not really.

I mean, this happens so much around the league. I didn't see the KC/Pitt game, but a friend of mine who is a Chiefs fan told me they botched the clock management issue AGAIN under Andy Reid.

Andy Reid has never ever gotten the whole clock management thing down and has been making mistakes in this regard since his days at Philly.

That's what scares me about Garrett......I look at Reid and see a guy who for all of his qualities is still making the exact same mistakes he made 15 years ago and never learned from, so there's a great chance that Garrett will never ever be better than he is now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Pats played great and deserve all the accolades they get but I certainly hope people don't let the Falcons off the hook, they choked this away plain and simple. They choked it away just as much as the Pats won it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The holding penalty on 3rd and 20 or whatever is exactly the same as what the dickhead interior OL for the Packers did to Irving on Rodgers' last throw. Just saying.

data

Forbes #1
I suspect the thought it that teams can stop you when they know exactly what you want to do.
If it's that easy to stop, next time we have Aaron Rodgers at 3rd & 20 at the end of a playoff game, we should just tell Aaron we know he wants to throw deep to avoid it happening.

I I guess defenses had no idea we were going to run Ezekiel Elliott until after he gained 1,600 yards.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
If it's that easy to stop, next time we have Aaron Rodgers at 3rd & 20 at the end of a playoff game, we should just tell Aaron we know he wants to throw deep to avoid it happening.

I I guess defenses had no idea we were going to run Ezekiel Elliott until after he gained 1,600 yards.
Well I suspect you are oversimplifying a bit, don't you? On even given play, people don't know what Dallas is going to do because they can do it all. This is why our offense was so efficient. When you aggregate to a season, this becomes meaningless.

data

Forbes #1
Well I suspect you are oversimplifying a bit, don't you? On even given play, people don't know what Dallas is going to do because they can do it all. This is why our offense was so efficient. When you aggregate to a season, this becomes meaningless.
Youre over complicating matters. It's 1st and goal from the 5 and your 5.7 YPC star RB doesn't get a touch in 4 plays...you're defending this play calling because you think the offense is thinking that the defense thinks the run is coming.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
You guys say this shit like you don't know the Pats took him away. Everyone knew they were going to do it. Ryan did a decent job going to other options must missed them at key spots in the second half.

On the running thing, the Pats were shutting it down. Yeah they ripped off some long ones but it was feast or famine. To kill the clock, you need consistent positive yards. That Pats weren't yielding that.

However, yeah the sack, hold series was a killer when 3 stuffed runs would have been just dandy.
Bullshit. You run the damned ball in that situation to drain the clock and force New England to burn its time outs and then try to come back that late in the game down 11 points. Whether the Pats were stopping the run or not, it's inexcusable not to play smart football. The Falcons literally made themselves one dimensional, and the Pats knew it and exploited it.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Bullshit. You run the damned ball in that situation to drain the clock and force New England to burn its time outs and then try to come back that late in the game down 11 points. Whether the Pats were stopping the run or not, it's inexcusable not to play smart football. The Falcons literally made themselves one dimensional, and the Pats knew it and exploited it.
Go look at the play-by-play. They were not consistent running the ball. They just weren't. YPC can be a misleading statistic. Long runs can skew it. Yeah if you're guy gets 5 yards every time he touches you should obviously run it on 2nd and 5 but that was not the case.

Again, the point made about running in on the set of downs after the Jones catch is well put. Even if you lose yardage running it 3 times in a row you're still set for a FG which wins the game. But, I think besides that you should give the Pats some credit. They made adjustments that shut down the Falcons offense. It was impressive.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Go look at the play-by-play. They were not consistent running the ball. They just weren't. YPC can be a misleading statistic. Long runs can skew it. Yeah if you're guy gets 5 yards every time he touches you should obviously run it on 2nd and 5 but that was not the case.

Again, the point made about running in on the set of downs after the Jones catch is well put. Even if you lose yardage running it 3 times in a row you're still set for a FG which wins the game. But, I think besides that you should give the Pats some credit. They made adjustments that shut down the Falcons offense. It was impressive.
The part in bold was my point. No one is disputing that New England's adjustments were effective, but you still need to do what it takes to win, and shortening the game by running and kicking the FG would've accomplished that. Instead, the Falcons got cute and fucked themselves.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
From everything I've read, this was an epic choke job by the Falcons. I had been awake since 4AM and fell asleep during the game in my recliner around eight or so, woke up, checked my phone and just said "Sh!t." I'll refrain from my usual b!tching about the same old same old.

Honestly, the first thing that came to mind was the fact that the Pats have an owner that is content to stay low profile in the background and let his coaches coach. It's got as much to do with that then the greatness of any player or coach. You never hear a peep about Kraft until he's holding the Lombardi up, including the years when they haven't won it all. I'm not going to lie, I hate The Patriots, Brady and Belichick but on the whole, as a franchise, they are the model for how to build a champion.

Congratulations to them. :puke

Sure they know, there is no run threat when the RB is on the sideline and the team is in an empty back set formation.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I only watched overtime but was glancing at the score from time to time. Saw it was 28-20 and Atlanta had the hall on NE 22 and figured it was over. Reading some of the thread makes me think Garrett was an honorary playcaller for the Falcons. Just unbelievable but we Should know exactly how the Falcons fans feel. Its just that it happened to them in the Super Bowl.

D

Deuce

While sticking with the pass too long is definitely a Garrett move, their stupidity when in FG range wasn't. I could easily see Garrett run twice in that scenario. It's well documented that he likes to get conservative when on the edge of FG range and doesn't get pass happy again until he's in Goal to Go situations.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
While sticking with the pass too long is definitely a Garrett move, their stupidity when in FG range wasn't. I could easily see Garrett run twice in that scenario. It's well documented that he likes to get conservative when on the edge of FG range and doesn't get pass happy again until he's in Goal to Go situations.
Yeah I doubt even Garrett would go shotgun in that situation.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah I doubt even Garrett would go shotgun in that situation.
I wouldn't put it past him.

It wasn't just shotgun, it was shotgun empty backfield which is even worse.

I don't understand the fascination with this formation right now, especially when it's used by a team that runs the ball so well.

dallen

Senior Tech
The Falcons deserved to lose the way they finished that game. I could have sworn Garrett was coaching them. I feel bad for all the Atlanta fans

Top Bottom