Jerry Jones Makes The Hall Of Fame

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He's in but Drew Pearson and Cliff Harris aren't.

Sickening.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

Sickening.
Had Pearson scored after "The Catch," that probably would have been the final signature play needed for induction. Of course, you can make the case that he deserves it anyway.

D

Deuce

TO ain't getting in next year either. The amount of first ballot guys eligible next year are ridiculous.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I guess there's a wing in the hall for "Owners who excel at getting in the way of their team's success".

If that's the case, he's not doubt a first ballot hall of famer.

data

Forbes #1
As for over-representation, below is an unofficial count of modern-era (majority of career played after AFC-NFC merger) HOF players in their respective position. Running Backs have the most...did they really need Jerome Bettis to round out this position?

RBs - 17
QBs - 15
WRs - 14
TEs - 6
OL - 27 (~9 per T, G, C)
DL - 24 (~12 per DT, DE)
LB - 17 (~9 per OLB and MLB)
DB - 15 (~8 per CB and S)

townsend

Banned
WRs almost always have an uphill battle when it comes to HOF. Art Monk, Bob Hayes, Chris Carter, all had to wait way longer than what was reasonable for their induction.

1bigfan13

Staff member
WRs almost always have an uphill battle when it comes to HOF. Art Monk, Bob Hayes, Chris Carter, all had to wait way longer than what was reasonable for their induction.
True. But I also factor in the impact the guy had on the field. In his prime Owens was arguably the most lethal weapon in the game. He was an explosive player who was a threat to score anytime he touched the ball.

And to top it off, he was at his best when it mattered most.

The guy has quite a few memorable moments in big games. Which is why I'd have put him in over a guy like Jason Taylor.

Honestly now. Can anyone name a big moment in Jason Taylor's career? I watched the guy's entire career and I can't recall a single signature moment.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
True. But I also factor in the impact the guy had on the field. In his prime Owens was arguably the most lethal weapon in the game. He was an explosive player who was a threat to score anytime he touched the ball.

And to top it off, he was at his best when it mattered most.

The guy has quite a few memorable moments in big games. Which is why I'd have put him in over a guy like Jason Taylor.

Honestly now. Can anyone name a big moment in Jason Taylor's career? I watched the guy's entire career and I can't recall a single signature moment.
Exactly.

That same line of thinking could apply to Jerome Bettis and even Cris Carter for that matter.

Now, Cris Carter has the numbers so I won't dispute his entry, but he didn't have this signature game or this signature moment. He never ever carried an offense even when he was at his peak.

Randy Moss took that offense to the next level and it was Moss who had the signature moments and games.

Like you said, Ownes had a number of those and yet there he sits.

Terrell Davis and Kurt Warner were great but in a limited sampling size, but the voters are saying that they were so good in such a short amount of time that it was even better than what Owens did for 10-plus seasons.

That's absolute nonsense.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

Sickening.
You could make a case for Tony Hill as well.

Oh well... In the end, it's all basically sour grapes, nothing that can be changed by fans. Many of the "professionals" that cover the NFL these days only go by record books, not eyewitness experiences.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I LOVED Tony Hill but I honestly don't see a HOF case for him.
Q

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I wouldn't have put Terrell Davis in, but then I wouldn't have put Bettis in either.

Owens has a way better case than Davis and it's basically a joke.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I wouldn't have put Terrell Davis in, but then I wouldn't have put Bettis in either.

Owens has a way better case than Davis and it's basically a joke.
It really is.

They are saying that 3 great years of Davis are better than 7 great years of Owens.

Not only that, look where Owens ranks historically among WRs. Davis does not have anywhere near the amount of personal achievements and statistics as a RB that Owens does.

It's preposterous that the guy isn't in yet.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Everybody is talking about the RBs/WRs but what about Kurt Warner. I wouldn't have him in there based on 2 hear seasons and some pretty good ones. Just seems that he gets the entry because he sacked groceries.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It really is.

They are saying that 3 great years of Davis are better than 7 great years of Owens.

Not only that, look where Owens ranks historically among WRs. Davis does not have anywhere near the amount of personal achievements and statistics as a RB that Owens does.

It's preposterous that the guy isn't in yet.
I suppose Terrell Davis is getting the 1970s Steelers benefit of the doubt. Where you get in solely on post-season performance.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Everybody is talking about the RBs/WRs but what about Kurt Warner. I wouldn't have him in there based on 2 hear seasons and some pretty good ones. Just seems that he gets the entry because he sacked groceries.
He received bonus points for taking two bottom-feeder franchises to the Super Bowl.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He received bonus points for taking two bottom-feeder franchises to the Super Bowl.
So more of the playoff stuff because that season he took the Cards to the Super Bowl they were only 9-7. Just don't get it with him.

Top Bottom