Where is Romo Going? Thread

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ware: Broncos 'gotta roll' with QBs over Tony Romo
By Conor Orr

Even though Broncos players have repeatedly professed their confidence in Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch this offseason, it seems the trappings of good television require an effort to get them to discuss Tony Romo, a quarterback who could potentially be for sale.

Back on Jan. 22, DeMarcus Ware said on GameDay Morning: "I just think he (would) be a great fit for the Denver Broncos, but also, we already got two vested guys in Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch. So you got to think about what type of message you want to send to the team."

Friday, in an appearance on Good Morning Football, he had this to say on the matter:

"I would like to reunite with Romo," Ware said. "He's one of those quarterbacks where he's good but the thing is, I know what we have with the Denver Broncos and you gotta go with what you have. Play with what you got and just roll with it."

Ware is currently a free agent and stated his plans to play in 2017.

Given that he's not under contract, the Broncos owe him an extra debt of gratitude for not stirring up any potential rumors that would damage the psyche of their young quarterbacks. This defense, as presently constructed, is still good enough to remain competitive in the AFC West with replacement level play under center. Bringing in someone like Romo could destroy their salary cap and prevent them from spending money to patch up any holes new coach Vance Joseph might see in their dominant front.

Plus, as NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport has noted multiple times, the Broncos are not currently inclined to do a deal with Dallas. It is looking more likely that Romo could be a Sam Bradford trading chip of sorts.

Plans and circumstances always change, but for right now, Denver seems intent on making it work with what they have.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
From my perspective I think it's highly possible that we'll at least get a 2nd round pick for Romo.

Just look at the money and draft picks that have been thrown around for other QBs with question marks.

Obviously you have the Peyton Manning and Sam Bradford comparisons, but also look at what QB starved teams were willing to pay for QBs like Osweiler and Fitzpatrick.

Supply definitely does not meet demand and I think that's what will end up tipping the scales in the Cowboys favor.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
From my perspective I think it's highly possible that we'll at least get a 2nd round pick for Romo.

Just look at the money and draft picks that have been thrown around for other QBs with question marks.

Obviously you have the Peyton Manning and Sam Bradford comparisons, but also look at what QB starved teams were willing to pay for QBs like Osweiler and Fitzpatrick.

Supply definitely does not meet demand and I think that's what will end up tipping the scales in the Cowboys favor.
This is my feeling as well. Not to the point where I'm doing mock drafts with an extra second round pick or anything but I really believe we will trade Romo for something. And if we don't it's not because we couldn't, it will be because Jerry wouldn't.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
This is my feeling as well. Not to the point where I'm doing mock drafts with an extra second round pick or anything but I really believe we will trade Romo for something. And if we don't it's not because we couldn't, it will be because Jerry wouldn't.
What happens if a team that Tony dislikes offers us more than a team he does like? I honestly think Jerry would accept less to make his surrogate son happy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What happens if a team that Tony dislikes offers us more than a team he does like? I honestly think Jerry would accept less to make his surrogate son happy.
Well Jerry is an idiot if he does that. This is a business, Romo will be fine regardless where he goes. You should never mix business and friendships for that very reason.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well Jerry is an idiot if he does that. This is a business, Romo will be fine regardless where he goes. You should never mix business and friendships for that very reason.
He is not an idiot, Romo could just retire if he does not want to go to that team.

I have no idea why people think Romo is just going to sit silently by and be traded anywhere.

No team is going to trade for Romo unless he is 100% on board and that lowers the list of teams considerably.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Do you actually think a team is trading a premium pick for Tony if he does not want to go there?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He is not an idiot, Romo could just retire if he does not want to go to that team.

I have no idea why people think Romo is just going to sit silently by and be traded anywhere.

No team is going to trade for Romo unless he is 100% on board and that lowers the list of teams considerably.
If he retires instead of being released I'm fairly sure it saves us a ton of money.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he retires instead of being released I'm fairly sure it saves us a ton of money.
Yeah, he isn't going to retire. Romo isn't that dumb and he wants to continue playing too badly to do that. And yeah I think for 14 mil + Romo will play where ever he goes.

Does anyone think the Patriots asked Jamie Collins if he wants to play for the Cleveland Browns before trading him there?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm going to be really pissed if Romo uses Jerrys emotional investment in him and manipulates Jerry into releasing him so he can go to Denver, a team we play next year mind you.

I'd trade him to Cleveland for a conditional 7th just to spite him if that were the case, assuming we couldn't get an actual return on a trade.

I'd definitely send him to the highest bidder either way.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Do you actually think a team is trading a premium pick for Tony if he does not want to go there?
Did Cleveland care about Jamie Collins' feelings when they traded for him?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Did Cleveland care about Jamie Collins' feelings when they traded for him?

It is a little different than trading for a QB though. That guy has to have his mind right.

townsend

Banned

The question is how much confidence does Tony have in himself. Keep in mind he was the difference between 12-4 and 4-12 so he might be able to talk himself into believing he can turn around a team like the Bills, Bears, or Jets. Especially if he's still motivated to prove himself.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The question is how much confidence does Tony have in himself. Keep in mind he was the difference between 12-4 and 4-12 so he might be able to talk himself into believing he can turn around a team like the Bills, Bears, or Jets. Especially if he's still motivated to prove himself.
He has been beaten up and is still not clear of injury. He's not going to go to some team that has a big hill to climb.

I am not even fully convinced he is willing to start over anywhere that is not exactly on his terms.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm going to be really pissed if Romo uses Jerrys emotional investment in him and manipulates Jerry into releasing him so he can go to Denver, a team we play next year mind you.

I'd trade him to Cleveland for a conditional 7th just to spite him if that were the case, assuming we couldn't get an actual return on a trade.

I'd definitely send him to the highest bidder either way.
Actually Cleveland or LA are a couple of teams that could take on Romo's salary and not bat an eye.

Top Bottom