Neil Gorsuch nominated to Supreme Court to fill Scalia seat

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Trump picks Colo. appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court

President Trump selected Colorado federal appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch as his Supreme Court nominee on Tuesday, opting for a highly credentialed favorite of the conservative legal establishment to fill the opening created last year by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia.

Gorsuch prevailed over the other finalist, Thomas Hardiman of Pennsylvania, also a federal appeals court judge, and Trump announced the nomination at a televised prime-time event at the White House.

Gorsuch, 49, and Hardiman, 51, emerged from a list of 21 as Trump’s most likely choices. A third person on the shortlist — U.S. Circuit Judge William H. Pryor Jr. of Alabama — saw his chances diminish as some Senate Republican leaders have said his confirmation would be difficult.

By comparison, Gorsuch was confirmed a decade ago to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit in Denver on a voice vote.

Gorsuch is seen as a less bombastic version of Scalia; he also believes in an “originalist” interpretation of the Constitution and would seem destined to be a solidly conservative vote on the ideologically split court. But friends and supporters describe Gorsuch as being more interested in persuasion than Scalia, who was just as likely to go it alone as to compromise.

Senate Democrats have promised a vigorous battle, believing that Republican colleagues “stole” the court opening by refusing to hold even a hearing on former president Barack Obama’s nominee for Scalia’s seat, Judge Merrick Garland. His nomination withered.

Some Democrats have pledged to try to block a vote on Trump’s nominee. “I won’t be complicit in this theft,” Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) wrote in an email to supporters. “There is only one person in America who is a legitimate selection: Judge Merrick Garland.”

Other Democrats aren’t likely to take such a bold move. But there were already signs that things won’t be particularly cozy: Trump invited senior Democratic senators to the White House for a reception to meet his Supreme Court pick, but they declined the invitation, according to senior aides.

Gorsuch would be the youngest Supreme Court justice since Clarence Thomas was confirmed in 1991. But Gorsuch has been on the bench for a decade, and at his 2006 investiture ceremony, friends joked that his prematurely gray hair was fitting.

“When Neil came to our firm in 1995 he had gray hair,” said one of his law partners, Mark C. Hansen. “In fact, he was born with silver hair, as well as an inexhaustible store of Winston Churchill quotes.”

Read more:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/trump-picks-colo-appeals-court-judge-neil-gorsuch-for-supreme-court/2017/01/31/2b08a226-e55e-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?client=safari

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Whats really going to piss Dems off is if the rumors about Kennedy retiring are true and we get two conservative SCOTUS picks :lol

Jiggyfly

Banned
Whats really going to piss Dems off is if the rumors about Kennedy retiring are true and we get two conservative SCOTUS picks :lol
Yeah that is what this is really all about how much you can piss the other side off.:picard

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Yeah that is what this is really all about how much you can piss the other side off.:picard
Right, because all that matters is winning these days. There is no compromise. Look at the clusterfuck in North Carolina where scared white men have basically pulled a coup.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
There's a lot of political noise surrounding it, but Gorsuch has written in no uncertain terms that human life is inherently valuable, so I am pleased.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There's a lot of political noise surrounding it, but Gorsuch has written in no uncertain terms that human life is inherently valuable, so I am pleased.
:buddy

townsend

Banned
Gorsuch, to me, falls into the "best you could hope for" category, don't agree with him on most issues, but I don't believe Trump would nominate anyone better.

He seems earnest to check executive powers, which should be considered a huge plus in the wake of Trump's first week of executive orders.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gorsuch, to me, falls into the "best you could hope for" category, don't agree with him on most issues, but I don't believe Trump would nominate anyone better.

He seems earnest to check executive powers, which should be considered a huge plus in the wake of Trump's first week of executive orders.
I don't agree with everything about the guy but he seems well qualified regardless. When it comes to qualified immunity for example I think my opinions will fall closer in line with his. It also sounds like he supports criminal law reform which I very much agree with.

townsend

Banned
Judge Garland was qualified as well.....
There were some law professors that thought Obama should have been able to place Garland on the court after the senate refused to give him a hearing. In essence saying the refusal to advise and consent was a forfeiture of that right. But Obama was a constitutional scholar, and I don't think he believed that.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Good so we may see an end to the death penalty.

Top Bottom