Archer: Underwhelming hires show Cowboys right to stay with Jason Garrett

townsend

Banned
What Jerry is or is not comfortable with matters very little. I just don't think he holds the same power as he did in previous years.
It'll be really interesting to see what the next coaching search looks like. I think that'll tell us how much power Jerry wields.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
every great coach ever has fallen into one of those categories at one point. Landry was coordinator with potential Jimmy was an elite college coach.

The bigger problem is a good coach has to be someone that makes Jerry comfortable. I think it's either Payton or bust for us. I don't know if there are any other promising coaches that Jerry would be willing to give control to.
And Payton of course is the obvious name I forgot.

Payton to Dallas would be the perfect match if we'd stop screwing around with Garrett.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What Jerry is or is not comfortable with matters very little. I just don't think he holds the same power as he did in previous years.
What would diminish it?

townsend

Banned
He still has the same power. He just listens more.
I think Jerry always listened. It just depends on who's in his ear at that moment. For a long time it was yes men like Lacewell. I think Stephen has gotten into a prominent enough position that Jerry will allow himself to be reigned in by his son.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think Jerry always listened. It just depends on who's in his ear at that moment. For a long time it was yes men like Lacewell. I think Stephen has gotten into a prominent enough position that Jerry will allow himself to be reigned in by his son.

I think this is exactly right.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think you're right, but I think it's Will McClay that he's listening to. Or maybe they both are and Stephen is pressing Jerry to listen even closer.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jerry may listen more on draft matters, but when it comes to a coach he's "comfortable" with, he's still listening to Number One.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The Kelly hiring could pan out if he learned from his mistakes, the rest are yet to be determined. Does that mean we were better off keeping Garrett? Meh. There are so few elite head coaches that you're basically reduced to pinning your hopes on a coordinator with "potential" or an "elite" college coach and we all know by now that either is a crap shoot.
With the right players he could may succeed. As long as they aren't going to let him be GM he'll have a chance.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
With the right players he could may succeed. As long as they aren't going to let him be GM he'll have a chance.
I read somewhere that some store out there pulled Kaepernick jerseys out of clearance so I guess at least someone is optimistic that he'll run his offense with players that fit his system better. That always puzzled me about his stint in Philly because the players he selected didn't seem to fit the offense that made him successful in college. Maybe he was trying to show that it was more than just his college offense that made him successful or something like that, I don't know.

townsend

Banned
I read somewhere that some store out there pulled Kaepernick jerseys out of clearance so I guess at least someone is optimistic that he'll run his offense with players that fit his system better. That always puzzled me about his stint in Philly because the players he selected didn't seem to fit the offense that made him successful in college. Maybe he was trying to show that it was more than just his college offense that made him successful or something like that, I don't know.
I think he had no effing idea what he was doing. I think he won a power struggle and decided to flex his muscles, and that resulted in possibly the most dumbfounding roster moves since Dan Snyder was making his dream teams in the early 2000s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom