Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Saw a new mock with us taking Treadwell.

Just what we need. Another WR with no deep speed.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
We could draft Goff\Lynch in the 1st and Wentz in the 3rd. Nah. What kind of organization would be that stupid?...
Given how desperate teams are for QBs, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Wentz was drafted late in the 1st round.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Wentz is going to start the FCS Championship tomorrow, time to fire up the DVR.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given how desperate teams are for QBs, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Wentz was drafted late in the 1st round.
A good QB is a good QB. I don't think it really matters where you played college football at.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What channel is that on?
ESPN2, against Jacksonville St. who nearly beat Auburn on the road earlier this year I believe.

I put more stock into the Senior Bowl than this game considering he hasn't played in nearly 3 months and is coming off the broken wrist but it sure will be interesting to see how he looks either way.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
ESPN2, against Jacksonville St. who nearly beat Auburn on the road earlier this year I believe.

I put more stock into the Senior Bowl than this game considering he hasn't played in nearly 3 months and is coming off the broken wrist but it sure will be interesting to see how he looks either way.
I've only read about him, so a game is a game as far as I'm concerned. But yeah, the Senior Bowl will really be his chance to shine.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've only read about him, so a game is a game as far as I'm concerned. But yeah, the Senior Bowl will really be his chance to shine.
Yea I haven't watched a live game of his, just the cut ups from Draft Breakdown, although you can get alot from those.

I see a guy with a big arm, great frame, mobility in and out of the pocket, touch, athleticism, willingness to stand in the pocket, reasonably quick release, production playing in an offense with NFL-style routes and he shows good pocket presence at times. The biggest negatives that I see in his play, aside from the level of competition and relatively small sample size, are that he stares down WR's and his footwork can sometimes get stagnant in the pocket.

These aren't major issues and I think those two weaknesses are actually two of Romo's biggest strengths so I'd be excited to have him learn under Romo.

We'll see what happens tomorrow but I expect them to protect him somewhat with their strong running game, I doubt he throws it more than about 25 or so times unless they get down big.

He also led them on a game-winning drive in last years FCS Championship for what that's worth.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Saw Wentz play in a couple games an d he looked good. Memory serves me that N.D. said he was injured part of the season.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I just watched the cutup of his Montana game. Probably not his best day as a passer. His deep balls were not on target at all. But on the flip side man he can run. I don't think I realized how athletic he was.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well I just watched the cutup of his Montana game. Probably not his best day as a passer. His deep balls were not on target at all. But on the flip side man he can run. I don't think I realized how athletic he was.
Watch the Northern Iowa game, ironically its the only game he threw an interception (2) but he makes some big time clutch NFL type throws in a comeback bid.

Northern Iowa has a CB that will be drafted relatively high and is one of the better FCS teams (David Johnson's school).

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Watch the Northern Iowa game, ironically its the only game he threw an interception (2) but he makes some big time clutch NFL type throws in a comeback bid.

Northern Iowa has a CB that will be drafted relatively high and is one of the better FCS teams (David Johnson's school).
That's one of the games I saw.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://kfgo.com/news/articles/2016/jan/08/ndsus-carson-wentz-ncaa-elite-90-award-winner/

NDSU's Carson Wentz NCAA Elite 90 Award Winner

Friday, January 08, 2016 12:59 p.m. CST

From a NDSU Athletics Press Release

FRISCO, Texas - North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz for the third straight season won the NCAA Elite 90 Award presented at the NCAA Division I football championship banquet Friday, Jan. 8, at the Frisco Convention Center.

The award is presented to the student-athlete with the highest cumulative grade-point average at each of the NCAA's 90 national championships. Wentz, a senior from Bismarck, N.D., has a 4.0 GPA in health education and physical education with a minor in psychology.

An award founded by the NCAA, the Elite 90 recognizes the true essence of the student-athlete by honoring the individual who has reached the pinnacle of competition at the national championship level in his or her sport, while also achieving the highest academic standard among his or her peers.

Wentz is the fourth North Dakota State student-athlete to earn the award. He joins women's golfer Amy Anderson and women's track and field competitor Whitney Carlson, who each won at the 2011 national championships, as well as linebacker Esley Thorton, who was the 2013 football championship game recipient.

Wentz passed for 1,454 yards and 16 touchdowns in the first six games this season before an injury. He is 19-3 as a starter and ranks third in NDSU history for career passing completions (376), passing yards (4,918) and passing touchdowns (44).

No. 3 seed North Dakota State (12-2) faces No. 1 seed Jacksonville State (13-1) in the NCAA Division I football championship game at 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 9, at Toyota Stadium. The game will be televised live on ESPN2.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
ive got the DVR Ready to watch this game right before the playoff games start. I'm excited to see something other than highlight tapes against lower competition. Definitely looks the part and has a lot of Romo-like qualities which I like. The sad thing is he will probably go mid-first. Looks like trade down or take at 4 if we want him that bad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
ive got the DVR Ready to watch this game right before the playoff games start. I'm excited to see something other than highlight tapes against lower competition. Definitely looks the part and has a lot of Romo-like qualities which I like. The sad thing is he will probably go mid-first. Looks like trade down or take at 4 if we want him that bad.
Honestly, if he is your favorite QB and you think he is a franchise guy, you trade down or you just take him. This QB draft is going to be one of those ones where I think there are multiple good QB prospects but no clear cut great one. Right now I think arguments could be made for Goff, Lynch or Wentz. Hell I wouldn't be surprised to see a team fall in love with Hackenberg (As dumb as I think that is). You shouldn't miss out on the QB you like simply because you think he will go in the late first.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know it is a lower level of competition and all but man Wentz is fitting the ball into some tight windows. Ball placement is so important and he is completing some balls right now to guys that are basically covered but he is putting the ball in a spot that it doesn't matter and his receiver is able to catch the ball. That's what you need to be able to do in the NFL.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Carson Wentz. Oh, yeah...

~reaches for lotion~

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know it is a lower level of competition and all but man Wentz is fitting the ball into some tight windows. Ball placement is so important and he is completing some balls right now to guys that are basically covered but he is putting the ball in a spot that it doesn't matter and his receiver is able to catch the ball. That's what you need to be able to do in the NFL.
The competition thing is way overblown. Romo made it and so did Flacco.

Only half of playing QB in the NFL is about physical traits. He has all the traits that you could want.

Now, the key is you run him through the mental piece, first hand, in Mobile. If he proves he can handle it, you take his ass at #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom