Senior Bowl Stuff...

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I don't think we'll have to worry about drafting OJ Howard in the 1st. I doubt he'll even be available.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think we'll have to worry about drafting OJ Howard in the 1st. I doubt he'll even be available.
This is a very deep TE class. We can get a good one, even into the third. I want Michael Roberts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a very deep TE class. We can get a good one, even into the third. I want Michael Roberts.
Evan Engram really intrigues me. He added some weight prior to the Senior Bowl and still looks really athletic and good.

He will never be a huge TE but if he adds 10 pounds to be like 6'3" 245 pounds or so he should work.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
NFL draft risers from Day 2 at the Senior Bowl

Boston College's Josh Johnson looks like he could be a versatile DB at the next level. Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire
8:49 PM CT
Steve MuenchKevin Weidl

Senior Bowl practices are in full swing down in Mobile, Alabama. Each day, we'll go through the players who stood out the most on the field. Here's our review of Day 2.

John Johnson, DB, Boston College

Johnson stood out during drill work Tuesday, and we noticed him again Wednesday. At 6-foot and 205 pounds, he's the smoothest safety down here in terms of movement skills. He catches the ball well and gets in and out of his breaks without a hitch. Johnson projects as a versatile defensive back in the NFL. He played safety this past season but has experience from 2015 lining up all over the field (corner, nickel, dime, safety). The coaches put him through some cornerback drills Wednesday, and he did a nice job. We're interested to dive more into his tape after an impressive first two days of practice.

Antonio Garcia, OL, Troy

Garcia's arms measured on the shorter end for a tackle prospect (just under 33 inches), and that showed up a bit Wednesday, as he was caught lunging a few times. But his body control, balance and quickness makes up for that. He has done a good job getting into position and staying in front of guys. We saw that Wednesday against Kansas State DE Jordan Willis, one of the quicker edge defenders down here. Garcia could play tackle depending on the scheme, but he might be a better fit inside. He plays with an edge -- he got into it with Texas A&M's Daeshon Hall on Tuesday -- and he uses his hands to win consistently.

Haason Reddick, LB, Temple

Reddick was primarily an edge defender at Temple, racking up 22.5 tackles for loss in 2016 (third-most in the FBS). But coaches have asked him to play more of an off-the-line LB role during practice, and he has shown good instincts. Reddick has looked really comfortable in coverage, which is surprising for someone who has never really done that before. From watching his tape this season, it was clear that he is explosive off the edge -- and whoever drafts him might occasionally ask him to get after the QB in nickel situations -- but his ability to play well in space has really stood out.

Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA

Vanderdoes' intensity and motor have helped him pop on the practice field this week. No matter what he's doing -- individual drills, team work or one-on-ones -- he goes all-out all the time. What has been most surprising is how quick he has been off the ball. For a 320-pounder, Vanderdoes has a really good first step. He's a bit limited athletically and doesn't change directions well, but his straight-ahead power showed up a bunch on Wednesday. He consistently pushes offensive linemen into the backfield.

Ethan Pocic, OL, LSU

Coming into the year, we had Pocic ranked as our top center. He dealt with some nagging injuries this season and wasn't as consistent as we expected him to be, but he has done a nice job of getting things turned in the right direction this week. On Wednesday, Pocic competed well against Alabama's Dalvin Tomlinson, who is one of the better defensive linemen at the Senior Bowl. Pocic doesn't overwhelm defenders, but he gets the job done and has been really solid in all areas. He could play both guard and center in the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How top prospects fared at Senior Bowl Day 2

Pitt QB Nathan Peterman has helped his draft stock at the Senior Bowl this week. Butch Dill/AP Photo
8:36 PM CT
Todd McShay
ESPN Senior Writer

Nathan Peterman, QB, Pitt

Peterman put together another good performance Wednesday. He made a couple of really impressive throws outside the numbers in windy conditions. On one of the throws, the coach said Peterman made the wrong read, but he got away with it because the pass was right on the money -- and it was on time. That's the big thing with Peterman: anticipation. He has a really good poise about him, and he has carried himself well. I also thought Peterman's fellow North team QB C.J. Beathard had another good day, too. Both of those guys are helping themselves this week.

Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama

Anderson isn't an elite talent, but he has played really hard in practice this week. Coaches are getting him outside of his comfort zone, asking him to play in space on occasion. He has gotten exposed in those situations. Anderson hasn't dominated the way I thought he would as a rusher, but part of that is because they've used him in a few different roles. While he's a little bit limited athletically, it wouldn't surprise me if he plays well during the game on Saturday. He's just a gamer.

Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington

Kupp was the star of the North practice on Wednesday. If you sit there and listen to him catch passes, the ball doesn't make a noise when it hits his hands, which is what you want. Really reliable hands. Kupp isn't a burner, but he's fast enough and he has done a nice job of getting in good position down the field this week. He measured 6-foot-1½, and he plays physical. A lot of WRs aren't used to navigating press coverage, but Kupp has shown good quickness off the line. He has boosted his stock more than any other prospect down here so far.

Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss

Every time I looked up, Engram seemed to be making a catch. He was the standout tight end on Wednesday. At 6-3 and 236 pounds, he has shown great run-after-the catch ability. Of all the tight ends here -- including Alabama TE O.J. Howard, who's the top prospect playing this week -- Engram does the best job of setting up defenders and getting out of his breaks. He projects as an H-back -- a Jordan Reed-type -- with huge, 10-inch hands. On Wednesday, he made a great catch away from his body and another good one in traffic. Overall, Engram's athleticism really stood out.

Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

Sutton entered the season as my No. 5 CB with a mid-second-round grade. He fell off the map a little bit after missing six games midseason with a foot injury. I think he has been the best pure cover-corner this week, and on Wednesday, he did a nice job of filling the alley against the run. You can tell that he's finally healthy and has been looking forward to putting on a show down here. It has been good to see him play well. This is shaping up to be a really good cornerback/safety class.

Desmond King, DB, Iowa

King has a little tightness in his hips, so we're seeing the coaches put him through both cornerback and safety drills. From his Iowa tape, we know he's physical against the run and can read quarterbacks and wide receivers. The big question: Can he match up man-to-man as a cornerback against WRs with speed and quickness? King hasn't really stood out in that regard this week -- he has been quiet overall, really -- so it wouldn't be shocking to see him play safety at the next level. A lot of players have made that transition in the past and ended up with good careers.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I kind of like what I'm seeing from Josh Reynolds. Might be a nice replacement for Williams/Butler. Tall guy with deep ability.
Pet cat.

Will be interesting to see what he runs.

If it is 4.4 I could see him going top - middle of 2nd round

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pet cat.

Will be interesting to see what he runs.

If it is 4.4 I could see him going top - middle of 2nd round
He came in just under 6'2" 3/4 187 pounds at the Senior Bowl. Reminds me a lot of Terrance Williams (Although he will have to put on some weight to get there). He is a more natural catcher then Williams. But just sort of the nice height and speed as a really good deep threat but not really a dynamic route runner. Very good deep speed for his height but isn't really a true blazer either. Would make for a really nice number 2 WR in our offense in my opinion. I'd peg him as a third rounder similar to Terrance Williams. Of course our third rounder is late so he may be gone by then.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Bears wr coach is dumb as shit. Watching the Senior Bowl makes me realize how bad some NFL coaches really are. I don't know how a player can take him seriously.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Todd McShay's 10 takeaways from Senior Bowl practices

Tennessee QB Josh Hobbs was a pleasant surprise during Senior Bowl practices this week. Glenn Andrews/USA TODAY Sports
9:44 PM CT
Todd McShay
ESPN Senior Writer

Senior Bowl practices finished up down in Mobile, Alabama, on Thursday. So it's a good opportunity to run through some things that stood out to me this week. Let's dig in.

1. QB Josh Dobbs made the most of his opportunity. He made a lot of throws this week that you just didn't see from him consistently in college. He was the third-best quarterback in Mobile, behind Pitt's Nathan Peterman and Iowa's C.J. Beathard (and he wasn't that far off of Beathard). Having watched him throughout his career, Dobbs' performance was very, very surprising. He was erratic and inconsistent at Tennessee, particularly on throws down the field. It makes you wonder whether he was held back by an inconsistent offensive line. I'll have to dive back into his college tape to find out. He just looked like a different quarterback this week, standing tall in the pocket and stepping into his throws. Dobbs really seemed to click with Cleveland Browns coach Hue Jackson, and you hope for his sake that he lands with a coaching staff that brings the best out of him. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can keep it up during Saturday's game.

2. WR Zay Jones is crazy fast. He played in East Carolina's Air Raid system, which features a lot of bubble screens and didn't showcase his potential as a vertical threat. This guy has unreal speed. He ran past guys consistently at the second level and tracked the deep ball really well this week. Could he be a Day 2 pick? I need to go back and watch more of his tape, but it's possible. I'm really interested to see what he runs at the combine.

3. Matchup to watch Saturday: North WRs versus South CBs. Eastern Washington's Cooper Kupp was one of the week's biggest stars, but the North team also features Jones, Syracuse's Amba Etta-Tawo and Michigan's Amara Darboh, all of whom had good weeks of practice. They'll face off against the two standout cornerbacks this week: San Diego State's Damontae Kazee and Tennessee's Cameron Sutton. (It's too bad LSU's Tre'Davious White suffered an ankle injury and won't be playing in the game; he looked really good before getting injured.)

4. Pitt QB Nathan Peterman had a great overall week, but ... one weakness of his showed up on the practice field: He doesn't have a very strong arm. It was noticeable on Thursday when the wind was blowing pretty good. Peterman just couldn't drive the ball down the field consistently. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's something for quarterback-needy teams who play in windy conditions to keep in mind (Jets, Bears and Browns, to name a few). He fits more in a short-to-intermediate passing attack, which will limit his market and keep him from being a high pick.

5. OL Antonio Garcia made himself some money. The Troy product is right near the top of my list for the biggest draft risers after this week. He showed great athleticism along with the ability to play both tackle and guard. He had the best day of any offensive lineman on Thursday.

6. DT Montravius Adams has all kinds of tools. He was the most explosive of all the interior linemen down in Mobile. I just don't know if I can trust him. He was very inconsistent throughout his career at Auburn. But Adams forced evaluators to go back and take a second look at his tape after some flash plays this week.

7. UCLA DT Eddie Vanderdoes was super impressive. I know he has durability issues and he's not the best athlete, but Vanderdoes' effort was consistently outstanding this week and he plays with great technique. I'm a fan.

8. The most intriguing players: Boston College DB John Johnson and West Virginia CB Rasul Douglas. Johnson showed a ton of versatility. He can play cornerback if needed and cover a lot of ground as a safety. And with Douglas, I know he's a little stiff, but at 6-foot-2 and with long arms, he has a lot of great tools to work with. Either or both of these guys could be off the board by the end of Day 2.

9. Temple LB Haason Reddick isn't just a pass-rusher. He had the third-most tackles for loss in the FBS this season, but because of his size (6-1½, 237), he's going to need to transition to an off-the-line linebacker role in the NFL. He proved he's perfectly capable of doing so with his play this week. There's no doubt in my mind that Reddick is going to play in this league for a long time.

10. I'd want LSU LB Duke Riley on my team. He made a ton of plays in coverage and versus the run this week. He was just always around the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
NFL draft risers from Day 3 at the Senior Bowl

UNC wide receiver Ryan Switzer has the makings of a good NFL slot receiver. Glenn Andrews/USA TODAY Sports
10:15 PM CT
Steve MuenchKevin Weidl

Senior Bowl practices concluded in Mobile, Alabama, on Thursday. As we did each of the previous two days, we'll identify the players who stood out the most on the field. Here's our review of Day 3.

Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina

Switzer's route running has really stood out this week. He has shown the ability to create separation quickly when working out of the slot. He also sets up his breaks well and has explosive change-of-direction ability. And once he has the ball in his hands, he looks like a running back. Switzer doesn't have elite speed, but he's proved that he is fast enough to take advantage if he gets a seam. Two negatives that will be taken into account: He's just 5-8½ and 179 pounds, and he showed a tendency to trap passes against his frame. He doesn't drop a lot of balls, but he also doesn't pluck them out of the air as you'd hope. Switzer profiles as a slot receiver/return man in the NFL.

Larry Ogunjobi, NT, Charlotte

At 6-2½ and 304 pounds, Ogunjobi has a thick lower half and is tough to move off the line. He showed explosive power in his upper body throughout the week, and he has really good initial quickness. Ogunjobi had 49 career tackles for loss at Charlotte, and he made some similar flash plays on Thursday (shooting the gap for a TFL, winning a few one-on-ones, etc.). It wouldn't be a surprise to see Ogunjobi taken in the early Day 3 range.

Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina

Jones led the FBS in receptions (158) and receiving yards (1,746) this season, but the concern was whether he can stretch the field. He has looked very explosive this week. Jones gets from 0 to 60 in a hurry, eating up defensive backs' cushions faster than any other wide receiver here. He has reliable hands and tracks the ball well on throws downfield. Jones and Eastern Washington's Cooper Kupp have had the two best weeks of practice among the WRs.

Duke Riley, LB, LSU

The more you watch Riley, the more impressed you are with what he brings to the table. At 6-foot and 231 pounds, he profiles as a weakside linebacker in the NFL. He showed great range/athleticism in coverage this week, and he gets downhill in a hurry versus the run. He's in the same mold as other versatile, athletic linebackers to come out of LSU, such as the Buccaneers' Kwon Alexander and the Falcons' Deion Jones. Riley might not be a second-round pick as Jones last year, but he's certainly in the midround conversation.

Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State

Kazee had 15 interceptions over the past two seasons, and you see why when watching him practice. He has great instincts and does a great job of stepping in front of receivers without making contact. Kazee also shows a good feel for when to gamble and when to sit back. He's smaller (5-10, 193), but he hasn't been afraid to mix it up with receivers here. He flashed during every practice this week, consistently putting himself in a position to make plays on the ball.

Dion Dawkins, OL, Temple

Dawkins played left tackle this season, and he held his own there during one-on-one drills and team sessions Thursday. But what really helped his stock this week was showing he could hold up at guard too. That doesn't always happen with natural tackles; some guys just don't have the in-line power. Dawkins does. He played with good balance in the run game, and he has enough length and short-area quickness to be effective in pass protection.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
MTS notebook: Cooper Kupp among Senior Bowl Day 3 stars

MOBILE, Ala. -- Editor's note: NFL.com analysts and former NFL scouts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks of the Move The Sticks Podcast share some of their scouting notes from Day 3 of the Reese's Senior Bowl.

1. Several wide receivers caught my eye on Thursday. Eastern Washington's Cooper Kupp, one of the stars of the week, had another great day of running routes. He looked polished. Texas A&M's Josh Reynolds did a nice job of going up to get the football. East Carolina's Zay Jones was very solid again. I'm still waiting for someone to cover Louisiana Tech WR Trent Taylor in the slot. He was awesome in the third-down drills during practice on Thursday. -- Daniel Jeremiah

2. Western Kentucky WR Taywan Taylor has been impressive all week. On Thursday, he showed off his route-running ability. He's one of the few WRs here in Mobile who can play inside or outside, and his versatility only helps his value. He strikes me as a guy who can make an impact right away. -- Bucky Brooks

3. Temple LB Haason Reddick was outstanding again today. He's been excellent in coverage and in pass-rush drills. It's been a nearly flawless week for him. -- Daniel Jeremiah

4. There's been a lot of talk about this year's quarterback class being underwhelming, but I think people that dig deep into this class will like two of the players here this week -- Tennessee's Joshua Dobbs and Cal's Davis Webb. Both bring athleticism and the ability to spin the ball really well. They've been a little inconsistent here in Mobile. They're developmental players. The teams that draft them will be hoping they can ascend up the depth chart. -- Bucky Brooks

5. West Virginia CB Rasul Douglas had a big-time day. He's an athletic corner with good size and made some big plays down the field. -- Daniel Jeremiah

6. Florida OLB Alex Anzalone has stood out at the Senior Bowl with his physicality and toughness. He also shows good instincts and awareness. He's really made his presence felt in run drills -- he gets to the ball quickly, and he delivers some pop. A lot of scouts have been buzzing about him. -- Bucky Brooks

7. LSU LB Duke Riley had his best day so far, showing his lateral range and big-time speed. -- Daniel Jeremiah

8. UCLA DT Eddie Vanderdoes is fun to watch. He's out of control sometimes, but you see some impressive twitch and power from him. -- Daniel Jeremiah

9. The more I watch North Carolina State RB Matt Dayes, the more I like him. He did a great job in drills as a pass protector on Thursday, as did Wisconsin's Corey Clement. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No real surprise, Howard looks like a stud. Josh Dobbs is ugly as shit. And the ECU WR actually might be a legit NFL prospect.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No real surprise, Howard looks like a stud. Josh Dobbs is ugly as shit. And the ECU WR actually might be a legit NFL prospect.
Did not know that Zay Jones is the son of former Cowboy MLB Robert Jones.

Also, this safety from St. Francis, Lorenzo Jerome is legitimate.

Was the MVP of the NFLPA game with two INTs. Has an INT and a forced fumble in this game.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Zay Jones with a beautiful TD catch wiped out by penalty. Screw Kupp, he's your "sleeper" WR.

Willis from KSU with a strip sack after whipping fat ass Zach Banner. Then Banner picks up the ball, gets gang tackled and then celebrates coming off the field. Weird reaction.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zay Jones with a beautiful TD catch wiped out by penalty. Screw Kupp, he's your "sleeper" WR.
Yeah his stats in college are hard to trust but he has had a great week at the Senior Bowl to sort of show he is a legit talent. Excellent size, good athlete and excellent hands/ball skills. His first TD catch that they said he didn't get two feet down for was pretty impressive as well. Not sure he will be a sleeper WR after this week.

Top Bottom