Senior Bowl Stuff...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 15 best NFL prospects at the 2017 Senior Bowl
play
Mel Kiper Jr. anticipates that LSU RB Leonard Fournette, Florida State RB Dalvin Cook and Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey will all be taken in the first round in his initial mock draft. (2:15)
Jan 23, 2017
Mel Kiper Jr.

Senior Bowl week is great for veteran college players to showcase their skills in front of NFL scouts. Some of the top-tier talent passes on performing, and underclassmen aren't eligible unless they have earned their college degrees, but there is still loads of talent.

Just last year, the game produced four first-round picks (quarterback Carson Wentz, guard Joshua Garnett and defensive tackles Sheldon Rankins and Vernon Butler), plus a quarterback you might have heard of in Dak Prescott.

The week of practices is what really matters -- you can catch Wednesday's and Thursday's practices at 1 p.m. ET on ESPNU/WatchESPN -- as that's when scouts are watching the one-on-ones and dissecting each prospect's every move.

Below are my top 15 prospects headed into the 2017 game, in order of where I have them right now. Keep in mind that this week can change a lot. This is when high-end prospects stand out above their peers, and it's the first chance for some Group of 5 prospects to face elite players. Check out the full roster here.

1. O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 88

Howard, my top-ranked tight end, is the lone prospect at the Senior Bowl whom I have in the first round of my initial mock draft. With only seven touchdowns in four seasons for the Crimson Tide, he was underutilized. He could be a guy who has a better pro career than college career. Howard (6-foot-6, 250 pounds) could catch a lot of passes at the next level, and he's a solid blocker.

2. Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State

In a class loaded with pass-rushers, don't count Willis out as a potential first-round pick. He's really good. Willis (6-foot-5, 250 pounds) had 21 sacks for the Wildcats the past two seasons and was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year in 2016. Consistency is what stands out -- you know what you'll get from Willis every play. He also holds up well against the run, which is important in the NFL. He's my No. 7 defensive end, but he could move up with a standout week of practices.

3. Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 76

Lamp played left tackle for the Hilltoppers, but he projects as a right tackle or guard in the NFL. He could have a 12-year career because of his versatility. Lamp (6-foot-3, 300 pounds) has good feet, is a sound technician and is very alert, which means he sees blitzes and senses stunts ahead of time. These traits are why I think he's ready to play immediately in the NFL in 2017. Lamp is in the second-round range right now, and he's my top-ranked guard.

4. Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 22

You could make the case that Anderson was Alabama's defensive MVP in 2016 -- yes, over surefire first-round picks Reuben Foster and Jonathan Allen. He had nine sacks, four forced fumbles and an interception in his first season as a full-time starter. Anderson (6-foot-2, 255 pounds) is a steady, complete linebacker who always shows up around the ball. I think he'll play as a 3-4 outside linebacker, and he could contribute immediately.

5. Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 18

White is another defender on the fringes of the first round; he's my No. 7 cornerback, and the six before him are all included in my initial mock draft. White (5-foot-10, 170 pounds) led the nation in pass breakups in 2016 (15), but he had only six interceptions in his four-year career. You'd like to see him catch a few more of those passes he broke up. White was LSU's punt returner (three career touchdown returns), and that helps his NFL stock.

6. Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 94

With 10.5 sacks, Watson had a huge senior season for the national champs. He had only 3.5 coming into 2016. Watkins has shown that he can rush the passer from the interior, and his frame (6-foot-3, 305 pounds) means he could put on some weight and play nose tackle in a 3-4. He might be better inside in a 4-3, though. He ranks as my No. 3 defensive tackle.

7. Chris Wormley, DE, Michigan

Senior Bowl team: North | Uniform number: 43

Wormley is another pass-rusher who could be picked in the first three rounds. He didn't put up huge sack numbers -- 12.5 the past two seasons -- and he doesn't have the upside of teammate Taco Charlton, but Wormley is solid. At 6-foot-4, 290 pounds, he could play in multiple schemes. Wormley is my No. 9 defensive end.

8. Ethan Pocic, C, LSU

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 77

Pocic is the clear-cut best center in this draft, and he could have a long career anchoring a team's line. At 6-foot-7, 301 pounds, he doesn't look like a typical center. He could probably slide out to guard. I don't think he's a first-round guy like Ryan Kelly was last year, but he's a guy who could start immediately.

9. Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan

Senior Bowl team: North | Uniform number: 26

Lewis does everything NFL teams want from corners; he can turn his hips and run with any receiver, he has good ball skills (six picks in his career), and he has put up some good tape against talented receivers in the Big Ten. But size is an issue: He's only 5-foot-10 and 159 pounds. In a draft with big corners at the top, that's going to hurt his stock. I still see him as a Day 2 pick, though, because he can play the slot too.

10. Desmond King, CB, Iowa

Senior Bowl team: North | Uniform number: 14

A four-year starter for the Hawkeyes, King had an amazing 2015 season, with eight interceptions. He came back down to earth this season -- three interceptions -- and I have him in the second-round range. I want to see what he runs at the combine. I don't think he has elite speed. But he's a playmaker, and he has good size (5-foot-11, 185 pounds).

11. Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington

Senior Bowl team: North | Uniform number: 10

With 100 catches in each of the past three seasons -- and 93 as a freshman -- Kupp has been one of the most productive players in the country. He had 74 career touchdowns for the Eagles, working mainly from the slot. Kupp (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) has tremendous hands, is durable and consistently beats double-teams. I thought he could have entered the 2016 draft and been a midround pick, and he's in the Day 2 range this year.

12. Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 24

Like King, Kazee has put up some ridiculous numbers: He had 15 interceptions over his past two seasons. Pound for pound, Kazee (5-foot-11, 175 pounds) was one of the best defenders in the country. He has shown great instincts, and he could move up my rankings with a great week of practices in Mobile and a solid workout at the combine.

13. Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Alabama

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 54

Tomlinson is a guy who has gone under the radar because of the talent around him on the Crimson Tide defense. At 6-foot-2, 310 pounds, he shows good explosiveness and strength, gets good leverage and plays through double-teams. The fifth-year senior finished the season with three sacks. Versatility is an important part of his pro future, as he could play in a 4-3 defense or even as a nose tackle in a 3-4.

14. Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 47

Vanderdoes is an intriguing guy who flashes first-round ability, but he doesn't have the production of a first-round pick. An ACL injury wiped out most of his 2015 season, and he had only 1.5 sacks in 2016. Vanderdoes' size (6-foot-4, 305 pounds) and athleticism jump off the tape. I'm interested in how he fares this week.

15. Dawuane Smoot, DE, Illinois

Senior Bowl team: North | Uniform number: 91

With eight sacks in 2015, Smoot looked like a first-round pick in 2015, and he was on my Big Board headed into this season. But his production fell off (five sacks), and he didn't look like the same guy in 2016. That could be because he didn't have 2015 second-round pick Jihad Ward on the other side. At 6-foot-3 and 255 pounds, Smoot plays the run well and has a high motor, but his 2016 numbers were concerning. He needs a big week to put him back into the discussion as a Day 1 pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How each Senior Bowl QB can boost his NFL draft stock

Iowa's C.J. Beathard and Cal's Davis Webb can both boost their draft stock with good Senior Bowl performances. Icon Sportswire
Jan 23, 2017
Todd McShay

With the Senior Bowl getting underway this week, let's take a look at the six quarterback prospects who will be on display in Mobile, Alabama, focusing specifically on what I'll be looking for from each guy. The quarterbacks who accepted invites are: Iowa's C.J. Beathard, Pitt's Nathan Peterman, Cal's Davis Webb, Tiffin's Antonio Pipkin, Colorado's Sefo Liufau and Tennessee's Joshua Dobbs.

At the end, I'll also give my thoughts on Clemson's Deshaun Watson deciding to decline his Senior Bowl invitation.

Programming note: You can catch Wednesday's and Thursday's Senior Bowl practices at 1 p.m. ET on ESPNU/WatchESPN.

South Team Quarterbacks

Davis Webb, Cal

Uniform number: 7

What we know: We have a mid-round grade on Webb, and he's the most highly rated QB on the South squad. At 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, he has an ideal frame and above-average release quickness and arm strength. He's played in passer-friendly schemes throughout college -- first at Texas Tech and then Cal after transferring for his senior season.

What I'll be watching for: How does he operate in a pro-style system? This will be quite an adjustment for Webb given his college pedigree. Can he maintain his accuracy on anticipation/timing throws and when he's forced to fit the ball into tighter windows? This week will also be a big test to see how quickly Webb processes information on the fly.

Antonio Pipkin, Tiffin

Uniform number: 2

What we know: Of all these quarterbacks, I've seen the least amount of Pipkin's tape. He has solid size (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) and adequate arm strength. I was also impressed by his pocket presence and feel for pressure. He's a passer first, but he has the mobility to extend plays and some running ability.

What I'll be watching for: Does he have the arm strength to fit the ball in tight windows against this level of competition? Pipkin completed nearly 65 percent of his passes this season, which is promising, but I'll be looking to see how fast he processes information and whether he can be consistently accurate versus faster defenses. Any time you have a non-FBS-level prospect playing on this kind of stage, you also want to see if he conducts himself with confidence. Will Pipkin act like he belongs?

Joshua Dobbs, Tennessee

Uniform number: 11

What we know: Dobbs played great down the stretch this past season, with 12 touchdowns and just one interception in his final five games. He has good size (6-foot-3, 210 pounds) and can make some off-schedule plays thanks to his mobility.

What I'll be looking for: Does he make good decisions on the field and can his accuracy be more consistent against high-level competition? This is a great opportunity for Dobbs to prove he deserves to be drafted. Right now he's a free-agent prospect in my opinion.

Joshua Dobbs played much better down the stretch of the 2016 season. Christopher Hanewinckel/USA TODAY Sports
North Team Quarterbacks

C.J. Beathard, Iowa

Uniform number: 15

What we know: Beathard has elite toughness and leadership along with a strong arm and sneaky mobility. But he was difficult to evaluate at times because his offensive line was marginal in pass protection, and his injury-riddled receiving corps did him no favors. He could wind up being the mid-to-late-round gem from this class. He will likely land in a low-pressure situation with the time to sit back, learn and develop.

What I'll be looking for: Because he was under heavy duress so often this season, Beathard got into some bad habits with his footwork. I'll be watching closely to see if he has improved at all in that area. It's something that's correctable, but he needs time and proper coaching. Beathard also has a tendency to hold onto the ball for too long. I'd like to see him get to the top of his drop and let it rip when there's a play to be made.

Nate Peterman, Pittsburgh

Uniform number: 4

What we know: I really liked Peterman both times I saw him live -- vs. Notre Dame in 2015 and in the upset win at Clemson earlier this season. After transferring from Tennessee, he picked up both systems at Pitt quickly (they had a coordinator change before 2016). With a quick release and solid mechanics, Peterman is more consistently accurate than most quarterback prospects in this draft class.

What I'll be looking for: I think Peterman has a chance to really impress this week. The measurables will be big for him, though. Is he really 6-foot-2 and 225 pounds? And how does his arm strength compare to the other quarterbacks?

Sefo Liufau, Colorado

Uniform number: 3

What we know: At 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds, Liufau is a big, strong guy who has the mobility to extend plays. He throws a nice deep ball, and he has all the raw tools. From what I'm told, he's also a quick processor of information. Liufau has a great opportunity to prove that he's worth a late-round pick as a developmental prospect.

What I'll be looking for: Can he be more accurate on short-to-intermediate passes? His 66.8 percent completion rate in 2016 on such throws was barely above average for Power 5 quarterbacks. His decision-making will also be watched closely. He has shown a tendency to force the issue if the initial play breaks down.

Sefo Liufau has a lot of raw tools, but will need to prove he's more accurate. Rick Osentoski/USA TODAY Sports
What about Watson?

Deshaun Watson, Clemson

Because he's such a competitor, I thought there was a chance Watson would accept the Senior Bowl's invitation, but I can't blame him for declining. The CFP National Championship was just two weeks ago -- and it capped off another 15-game season for Watson. NFL talent evaluators have plenty of tape to study. Now it's time for Watson to rest, recover and then start preparing for the pre-draft process. I'm looking forward to seeing what mechanical tweaks Watson makes. He needs to improve his consistency as a down-the-field passer.

Closing thoughts

I understand the reasons why it has not and may never happen, but it still frustrates me that underclassmen cannot elect -- after they've officially declared for the NFL draft -- to participate in all-star games. This would have been a perfect opportunity for a player like Texas Tech QB Pat Mahomes to showcase his skills on the field in a pro-style setting and also to unveil his football IQ and retention skills in the classroom.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Senior Bowl prospects who could rise in NFL draft

Receivers Travin Dural and Cooper Kupp both come to the Senior Bowl with a lot to prove. Icon Sportswire, USA TODAY Sports
Jan 23, 2017
Steve MuenchKevin Weidl

Senior Bowl practices start Tuesday afternoon in Mobile, Alabama. We'll be there all week providing coverage of who's standing out, but before everything gets underway, let's take a look at 10 players whose NFL draft stock could get the biggest boost this week with a good performance.

Programming note: You can catch Wednesday's and Thursday's Senior Bowl practices at 1 p.m. ET on ESPNU/WatchESPN.

1. Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington

One of the most decorated receivers in FCS history, Kupp is an instinctive route runner with quality size and reliable hands. One of the bigger questions on him is his top-end speed and quickness, and evaluators will be watching to see how he separates throughout the week. Kupp has had a knack of elevating his game when playing good competition -- 40 catches for 716 yards and 11 TDs in four career games versus Pac-12 opponents. If he can continue that trend, it will go a long way toward Kupp getting into the draft's second-round range when it's all said and done. -- Kevin Weidl

2. Forrest Lamp, OT, Western Kentucky

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 76

A two-time captain and four-year starter, Lamp impressed with the way he held up working against Alabama defensive linemen Jonathan Allen and Tim Williams early in the 2016 season. Yet there are still concerns about his arm length and ability to protect the edge at the NFL level. Easing those worries over the course of the week and convincing teams he has the potential to develop into a starting tackle would be significant considering it's shaping up to be a pedestrian offensive tackle class. If Lamp is asked to move inside to guard, where he briefly lined up as a redshirt freshman, he could still help himself by performing well at the Senior Bowl -- just not as much. -- Steve Muench

3. Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 92

Kpassagnon dominated FCS competition this fall, registering 21.5 tackles for loss and 11 sacks. Listed at 6-foot-7 and 290 pounds, the CAA defensive player of the year has an ideal frame with strong point-of-attack skills defending the run. Teams will have a heavy focus on his ability to rush the passer against stiffer competition. If Kpassagnon can show quality quickness and bend throughout the week, he has a chance to elevate his stock as a potential Day 2 prospect. -- K.W.

4. Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 12

Everett is generating some buzz and it's easy to fall in love with his big-play ability when you throw on the tape. Listed at 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds, he has the athletic ability to produce after the catch and the speed to stretch the field. But while he had one of his best games of the season against Mississippi State in the 2016 opener, the competition he faced on a weekly basis playing in the Sun Belt conference isn't ideal. Teams want to see him get more reps against the kind of competition he'll see in Mobile, and responding with a strong showing would continue his momentum. It's important that he catch the ball well considering he has smaller hands and his high percentage of drops per target (9.1 percent) in 2016. -- S.M.

5. Larry Ogunjobi, DT, Charlotte

Senior Bowl team: North | Uniform number: 95

Ogunjobi is another FBS prospect who has a chance to make a name for himself this week. With 49 career tackles for loss, he is a one-gap defender who displays the first-step quickness and active hands to create penetration in the backfield. Ogunjobi will need to show he can continue to be disruptive not only against the run but as a pass-rusher. We do not have a full report on Ogunjobi, but with a strong showing in Mobile, he has a chance to create some positive momentum at the beginning of the postseason draft process. -- K.W.

6. Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia

Senior Bowl team: North | Uniform number: 13

Douglas generated a lot of buzz this fall with a FBS-high eight interceptions in his first season as a full-time starter. He has exceptional size (6-2, 200) with quality instincts and overall range. Scouts will be keeping an eye on his fluidity, particularly in off-man coverage. Douglas is an ideal fit in a heavy press man or zone scheme, but if he can prove he has enough movement skills to hold up in space, he has a chance to entrench himself in the Day 2 mix in what is a deep overall cornerback class this year. -- K.W.

7. Travin Dural, WR, LSU

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 83

Dural caught just 28 passes in each of the past two seasons, but he has been hindered by LSU's commitment to the run and instability at the quarterback position. Listed at 6-foot-2 and 207 pounds, he averaged more than 17 yards per catch over the course of his career at LSU and he has the top-end speed to take the top off the coverage and break long runs after the catch. Dural has an excellent opportunity to show teams that he has the skill set to be more productive in the pros than he was at LSU given more opportunities. In particular, he'd do well to show the ability to beat press coverage and exploit pockets in zone looks. -- S.M.

8. Alex Anzalone, ILB, Florida

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 34

Anzalone has battled through multiple shoulder and arm injuries during his career and has put together just one full season in his four years at Florida. After seeing action in just two games in 2015, Anzalone was off to a hot start this past fall, displaying excellent instincts and overall range before suffering a season-ending broken arm against Arkansas. With just 10 career starts, Anzalone's performance this week will likely weigh heavier than usual in his evaluation. If he can open a few eyes throughout the week, he has a chance to get the ship pointed in the right direction and help ease some of the durability concerns. -- K.W.

9. Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina

Senior Bowl team: North | Uniform number: 7

In addition to breaking the FBS career record for receptions, Jones led all FBS receivers in receptions (158), receptions per game (13.2), receiving yards (1,746) and receiving yards per game (145.5) this season. Statistics are misleading, though, and the scheme he played in at East Carolina inflated his numbers. He was targeted more than any other receiver in the country and he caught a lot of quick-hitters. He also victimized some porous pass defenses, so performing well against Michigan's Jourdan Lewis, Colorado's Chidobe Awuzie and Iowa's Desmond King during practices and showing the ability to make plays downfield would help him move up boards. -- S.M.

10. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss

Senior Bowl team: South | Uniform number: 17

Engram is listed as Ole Miss' all-time leader in receptions (97) and receiving yards (1,394) by a tight end, but he frequently flexes out or lines up in the slot and his size (listed at 6-foot-3 and 227 pounds) raises questions about his ability to hold up at tight end in the NFL. It's critical that he regularly separate from linebackers and safeties when he lines up at tight end considering his deficiencies as a blocker. Getting reps at receiver and using his size advantage to beat corners on the outside would also go a long way to giving his draft stock a boost. -- S.M.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/1/23/14348342/2017-senior-bowl-who-to-watch-south-roster-oj-howard-carlos-watkins-gerald-everett-ryan-anderson

2017 Senior Bowl: Who To Watch - South Roster

Every year the Senior Bowl brings together some of the best collegiate players across the country for a week of NFL-style practices under actual NFL coaching staffs, followed by the game itself on Saturday. Next to the Combine, it is arguably the most important pre-draft event each year, and inevitably at least one or two players will see their stock rise dramatically.

The beautiful thing about the Senior Bowl is that it takes players from the biggest programs in the country, as well as little known FCS schools, strips away all the pre-conceived notions of “big school” and “small school” players, puts them on the same field and let’s them compete. Being able to judge players from different backgrounds in NFL-style practices without them having the benefit (or detriment in some cases) of their collegiate teammates, coaching staffs, or schemes is a key part of the NFL’s evaluation. In many respects the practices on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are more important than the game on Saturday.

Last year Carson Wentz went into the week as a late-first, early-second round type of prospect, and after an impressive week of practice he shot up to a lock top-10 pick. During the 2014 Senior Bowl the battles between Aaron Donald and Zack Martin in the OL/DL one-on-one drills were stuff of legend, and now they are both All-Pro players that are arguably the best players in the league at their respective positions. And then of course there’s one Dakota Rayne Prescott, the MVP of the 2016 Senior Bowl.

Clearly this event has a dramatic impact on the fortunes of prospects and franchises each and every year. With that in mind let’s take a look at some of the players Cowboys fans should have an eye on during Senior Bowl week.

Offense

• O.J. Howard, TE Alabama: This could be the “belle of the ball”, if you will. If you created the prototype tight end in a lab you’d probably come back with something looking very similar to Howard. He has all the tools you could ever want with height, length, speed, athleticism, soft hands, and blocking ability. The issue is that he never really lived up to those tools as a receiver at Alabama, which could be due in part to the offense they ran. It will be very interesting to see how performs as a receiver during practice, he’s already pretty much a lock first-round pick as it is, but if he dominates in receiver drills I wouldn’t be surprised if he was picked in the top 15. He will be a consideration at 28 if available.

• Evan Engram, TE Mississippi: Listed as a tight end, Engram mostly functioned as a jumbo receiver in college. He rarely, if he ever lined up with his hand down, and it’s anybody’s guess as to whether or not he can block. If he proves he can block effectively his stock could soar because he is an excellent receiver. It will be interesting to see what he measures at, as he’s listed at 6-3, 227. Will have to prove he can block, or at least that he has the bulk to develop into a blocker, in order to be considered a tight end. I wouldn’t be shocked if teams came away from this week considering him simply a big receiver.

• Gerald Everett, TE South Alabama: The South squad is an All-Star group of tight ends, including this little known small-school prospect who is in the mold of Jordan Reed of the Redskins. Everett is very impressive as a receiver, and if he has a big week in Mobile he could see his stock soar, perhaps all the way up to the back end of round one. Listed at 6-4, 240, this is another player I’ll be curious to see how he measures. He could be a possible Day 2 pick as the Cowboys should be looking to find an heir to Jason Witten.

• Donnel Pumphrey, RB San Diego State: Speedy, ultra-productive player who racked up over 6,000 yards rushing (averaging 6.0 YPC) and 62 touchdowns over four years. He is also a threat as receiver out of the backfield. With the depth at the position this year Pumphrey could probably be had early on Day 3, and would likely be an upgrade over Lance Dunbar. Can he block?

• Josh Reynolds, WR Texas A&M: Long, lean receiver who is a serious deep threat on jump balls with his leaping ability. Averaged 17.0 YPC over three seasons, to go along with 30 touchdowns and just under 3,000 yards. Could be a nice developmental receiver prospect at some point on Day 3.

• Conor McDermott, OT UCLA: Extensive starting experience at UCLA, he could be a potential swing tackle/future replacement for Doug Free available on Day 3. Will turn 25 during the 2017 season.

• Isaac Asiata, OG Utah: Won the Morris trophy, awarded to the top PAC-12 offensive lineman, as voted on by the league’s defensive linemen. Underrated prospect who could be a nice insurance option at guard if available on Day 3, assuming Ron Leary isn’t re-signed.

Defense

• Carlos Watkins, DT Clemson: One of the top players on an excellent line at Clemson. Plays with impressive strength in both the run and pass game, although his pass rush technique is unrefined. He could be a serious consideration as a 1-technique DT in round two for the Cowboys, although if he has a strong week he may be off the board.

• Jordan Willis, DE Kansas St.: Fast, explosive edge-rusher who racked up 31.5 TFL, 20 sacks and 6 forced fumbles over the last two years. 2016 Big-12 defensive player of the year. With that said, he seems to lack bend around the edge and looks like a straight-line kind of player. Would be a very strong consideration for the Cowboys in the second, although like Watkins, he may not be available if he impresses this week.

• Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE Villanova: Say that three times fast. This is a massive prospect, listed at 6-7, 290, who has very impressive explosiveness and athleticism for his size. He put up 31 TFL and 17.5 sacks over the last two years, albeit against a lower level of competition. If he dominates in Mobile there’s no ceiling on how high his stock could rise.

• Cameron Sutton, CB Tennessee: Some thought Sutton could be a potential first-round pick until he broke his ankle and missed the middle part of the season. He returned in November, but only played seven games on the year. It’ll be interesting to see how he performs, presumably at 100%, and whether or not he can solidify a spot in the first two rounds.

• Ryan Anderson, DE/OLB Alabama: Not as much of a natural pass-rusher as his 14.5 sacks over the last two years would seem to indicate. Is he only a 3-4 OLB? Does he have the length and pass-rush technique to hold up a defensive end? He’s listed as an OLB by the Senior Bowl so it’ll be interesting to see how the Cleveland staff uses him, his performance will go a long way in dictating his future NFL position.

• Tre’Davious White, CB LSU: Physical corner with good ball skills, it will be interesting to see if he can hit 6-0 or not during the official measurements. An impressive week could land him in round one. Added value as a punt returner.

• Damontae Kazee, CB San Diego St.: Diminutive corner listed at 5-10 with excellent ball-skills, racking up an astounding 15 interceptions over the last two years. Despite his size Kazee is a willing tackler, he could be a steal if available on Day 3.

• Justin Evans, S Texas A&M: Limited experience having played just two years in college, but he made the most of it, as he put up 4 interceptions and made the All-SEC second team as a senior. A strong week in Mobile could solidify a spot in the second round, and he could be a consideration for the Cowboys on Day 2 either way.

• Montravius Adams, DT Auburn: Surprising athleticism for his size, Adams never put up eye-popping stats in college but he was very effective against both the run and the pass. He could be in line for a big rise with an impressive week of practice, and may be an option for the Cowboys as early as the second round.

• Keionta Davis, DE UT-Chattanooga: Small-school prospect with ideal size at 6-4, 270, he looked good against Alabama late in 2016. Very productive with 28.5 TFL and 24 sacks over the last two years. Would be a value on Day 3, but he could sneak into Day 2 if he impresses this week.

• Daeshon Hall, DE Texas A&M: Excellent size (6-6, 270) and good production (27.5 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles over last two years), but how much did he benefit playing opposite Myles Garrett? Most have him pegged as a Day 3 pick at this point, he could be a nice developmental prospect given his size, but he isn’t quite as explosive as you’d like.

• Ben Boulware, LB Clemson: Leader and heart of the Clemson defense. Extremely instinctive, heady, intense player who is a sound tackler and loves the game, but he lacks size (6-0, 235) and speed. He may even measure in below 6-0, which would be disastrous for his stock. Could be a steal on Day 3 as something of a poor man’s Chris Borland. How will he hold up when he isn’t playing behind Clemson’s very talented line?

• Tanzel Smart, DT Tulane: Fits the mold of a Rod Marinelli defensive tackle with his low center of gravity and ability to penetrate. An incredible 33 TFL over the last two seasons, he could be another nice developmental prospect on the line available on Day 3.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/1/23/14343886/2017-senior-bowl-who-to-watch-north-roster-cowboys-desmind-king-chris-wormley-jaleel-johnson

2017 Senior Bowl: Who To Watch - North Roster

Every year the Senior Bowl brings together some of the best collegiate players across the country for a week of NFL-style practices under actual NFL coaching staffs, followed by the game itself on Saturday. Next to the Combine, it is arguably the most important pre-draft event each year, and inevitably at least one or two players will see their stock rise dramatically.

The beautiful thing about the Senior Bowl is that it takes players from the biggest programs in the country, as well as little known FCS schools, strips away all the pre-conceived notions of “big school” and “small school” players, puts them on the same field and let’s them compete. Being able to judge players from different backgrounds in NFL-style practices without them having the benefit (or detriment in some cases) of their collegiate teammates, coaching staffs, or schemes is a key part of the NFL’s evaluation. In many respects the practices on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are more important than the game on Saturday.

Last year Carson Wentz went into the week as a late-first, early-second round type of prospect, and after an impressive week of practice he shot up to a lock top-10 pick. During the 2014 Senior Bowl the battles between Aaron Donald and Zack Martin in the OL/DL one-on-one drills were stuff of legend, and now they are both All-Pro players that are arguably the best players in the league at their respective positions. And then of course there’s one Dakota Rayne Prescott, the MVP of the 2016 Senior Bowl.

Clearly this event has a dramatic impact on the fortunes of prospects and franchises each and every year. With that in mind let’s take a look at some of the players Cowboys fans should have an eye on during Senior Bowl week.

Offense

• Cooper Kupp, WR Eastern Washington: Highly productive possession-type of receiver who may be a consideration for the Cowboys in the mid-rounds. More than 6,000 yards receiving and over 73 touchdowns during his collegiate career. Will turn 24 before training camp begins.

• Zach Banner, OT/OG USC: Massive lineman who may be a better fit inside than at right tackle, which is where he played in college. He could be a developmental prospect, and future heir to Doug Free at right tackle, that would be worth taking on Day 3. This week will go a long way in terms of whether or not he will be viewed as an OG or OT at the next level.

• Kareem Hunt, RB Toledo: Versatile back with good size at 6-0, 225. With the depth at running back in this class Hunt could possibly be had on Day 3. Darren McFadden’s contract is expiring, Alfred Morris is seemingly out of favor with the coaching staff, and Lance Dunbar is a one-trick pony, a versatile back-up to Ezekiel Elliott could prove valuable.

• Corey Clement, RB Wisconsin: Another potential back-up running back who could be available on Day 3. Was solid as a senior but didn’t do much in the three years prior. Can he catch the ball out of the backfield?

• Amara Darboh, WR Michigan: Impressive physical tools, although his collegiate production never matched those tools as he never had more than 900 yards receiving or 7 touchdowns in a season. Some think he could be a better pro than collegiate player, and he could solidify a spot in the second round with an impressive week.

• Amba Etta-Tawo, WR Syracuse: After a quiet couple of years at Maryland Etta-Tawo exploded in his first, and only year at Syracuse with 1,482 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. With good size and speed to get deep, he could be a possible late-round sleeper as a developmental receiver.

Defense

• Desmond King, CB Iowa: Many thought King was a future first-round lock after he had 8 interceptions and won the Jim Thorpe award as a junior in 2015. He surprisingly returned to school, and had a good senior year, but there are questions about his long-speed with some wondering if he is better suited at safety given his physical nature. His performance this week will go a long way in determining his future NFL position, as well as whether or not he can work himself back into first-round consideration.

• Jaleel Johnson, DT Iowa: Complete interior defensive line prospect with strength to hold up against the run and enough quickness to push the pocket. An impressive week of practice could have him flying up boards, possibly as high as the late first/early second. Either way, Johnson could be a consideration for the Cowboys as early as their pick in the second round.

• Dawuane Smoot, DE Illinois: Coming into the 2016 season some thought Smoot could be a potential first-round pick. He’s been reasonably productive with 29.5 TFL and 12 sacks over the last two years while playing on poor teams, but there isn’t really anything special about him as far as size, speed, explosiveness, or otherwise. He could work his way into Day 2 with a good week of practice, but if not this is a player who would be a value pick on Day 3.

• Chris Wormley, DE/DT Michigan: A 4-3 tweener at 6-6, 300, Wormley looks like an ideal 3-4 defensive end. It will be interesting to see what kind of looks the Bears staff gives him in practice as far as playing inside or outside. A strong week could push him into the back-end of round one.

• Jourdan Lewis, CB Michigan: Some might argue that Lewis should be a first-round pick, although it seems that the league’s growing obsession with size at cornerback over the last five or so years may knock Lewis down into the second or third round due to his height and slight frame. He plays sticky coverage and has impressive ball skills, and he could be a steal on Day 2, especially if available in the third round.

• Chidobe Awuzie, CB Colorado: Physical corner with impressive size, athleticism, and extensive starting experience. He could be a very strong consideration for the Cowboys as early as round two.

• Rasul Douglas, CB West Virginia: Possible one-year wonder with only 18 games played at the FBS level over the last two seasons after spending the previous few years at community college. Didn’t make much of an impact in 2015, playing in only five games, but had 8 interceptions in 2016, to go along with ideal size at 6-1, 200+. Another possible Day 2 consideration in an extremely deep cornerback class.

• Carroll Phillips, DE/OLB Illinois: Listed as an OLB on the Senior Bowl roster, Phillips lined up as an end at Illinois, on the opposite side of the aforementioned Smoot. Another possible one-year wonder with 19 TFL and 9 sacks in 2016 after only 5.5 TFL and 3 sacks the previous two years combined. Listed at 6-3, 240, it’ll be interesting to see what his official measurement is, and also whether or not he has the size and ability to hold up in the run game.

• Tarell Basham, DE Ohio: Ideal size at 6-4, 260, and highly productive with 38.5 TFL and 27 sacks over four seasons, albeit against a lower level of competition. 2016 MAC Defensive Player of the Year. How will he fare against superior competition? An impressive week could push him up towards the back end of Day 2.

• Haason Reddick, OLB Temple: Very intriguing prospect who was used as an edge-rusher at the collegiate level despite being listed at only 6-1, 230. Explosive, quick, and ultra-productive with 35.5 TFL, 14.5 sacks and 4 forced fumbles over the last two years. Clearly he doesn’t have the size to be a full-time edge rusher in the NFL, does he have the instincts and ability to play a more traditional linebacker role, and perhaps contribute as a part-time pass-rusher? If so he could make for an interesting possibility on Day 2.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
11. Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington

With 100 catches in each of the past three seasons -- and 93 as a freshman -- Kupp has been one of the most productive players in the country. He had 74 career touchdowns for the Eagles, working mainly from the slot. Kupp (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) has tremendous hands, is durable and consistently beats double-teams. I thought he could have entered the 2016 draft and been a midround pick, and he's in the Day 2 range this year.
This guy is going to rise up the boards once teams get to know him. If we get our pass rusher in the first, and this guy is still there at the bottom of the 2nd, I'd give him serious consideration. I think he'll be a steady 70-80 catch WR. Not overly flashy, but runs great routes and has very good hands. The only thing I don't like about him is that he's older. This guy was a serious pain in the ass for the NDSU Bison DBs for 4 years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
• Ben Boulware, LB Clemson: Leader and heart of the Clemson defense. Extremely instinctive, heady, intense player who is a sound tackler and loves the game, but he lacks size (6-0, 235) and speed. He may even measure in below 6-0, which would be disastrous for his stock. Could be a steal on Day 3 as something of a poor man’s Chris Borland. How will he hold up when he isn’t playing behind Clemson’s very talented line?
I really like this guy. His measurables are sub par but LBer is the one position that I'm not sure that stuff really matters. It's all about instincts, picking the right hole and filling like you are supposed to fill. And the intensity and leadership a guy like this brings is massive.

I'm not huge on needing a LBer in this draft but I'd have absolutely no problem with drafting this guy on the third day. Could be a Sean Lee replacement down the road.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This guy is going to rise up the boards once teams get to know him. If we get our pass rusher in the first, and this guy is still there at the bottom of the 2nd, I'd give him serious consideration. I think he'll be a steady 70-80 catch WR. Not overly flashy, but runs great routes and has very good hands. The only thing I don't like about him is that he's older. This guy was a serious pain in the ass for the NDSU Bison DBs for 4 years.
He was ready last year and could have come out and been at least a 2nd rounder. Given his age, he probably should have.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I kind of like what I'm seeing from Josh Reynolds. Might be a nice replacement for Williams/Butler. Tall guy with deep ability.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What we learned from Senior Bowl weigh-in: Top CB passes test

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Jan. 24, 2017 at 01:11 p.m. Updated: Jan. 24, 2017 at 01:43 p.m. 0 Likes | 0 Comments
Read Discuss

MOBILE, Ala. -- The annual Reese's Senior Bowl weigh-in is more important for some prospects than others, particularly those whose size was already a concern for NFL scouts. One prospect whose size is a concern for scouts, Michigan CB Jourdan Lewis, measured 5-foot-10 and 188 pounds at Tuesday's weigh-in. That's an inch shorter than his 5-11 listing on Michigan's official roster, but Lewis, the No. 49 prospect in the draft according to NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah, nevertheless came away from the weigh-in in good shape with NFL scouts.

"Scouts had him at 5-9 and change when they got him measured back in the spring," said NFL.com analyst Lance Zierlein. "I think they had him at 5-9 7/8. So for him, a 5-10 measurement here is a good thing, and weighing 188 helps him, too. If he can maintain that weight and run really well at the (NFL Scouting) Combine (in March), he'll be fine."

Another factor in Lewis' favor where his size is concerned was an arm measurement of 31 inches Tuesday, which is considered above average for a player of his height. Zierlein wrote more extensively about Lewis' size in August.

For Donnel Pumphrey, the question is whether he's big enough for the pro game. For Zach Banner, it's whether he's too big.

Pumphrey, San Diego State's record-breaking running back, measured 5-8 1/4 and 169 pounds Tuesday, making him the second-shortest and second-lightest of the 110 Senior Bowl prospects. Banner, USC's massive right tackle, stood 6-8 3/8 and tipped the Senior Bowl scale at 361 pounds. The son of former Atlanta Falcons first-round pick Lincoln Kennedy, who also was an offensive lineman, Banner is well aware that scouts are interested in his conditioning.

"I think his goal is to drop even more weight before the combine. I think that's headed in the right direction for him," said Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage.

Banner has a little more than four weeks before arriving at the combine in Indianapolis, where he'll be measured and weighed once again. The outcome there won't be, shall we say, taken lightly.

"I think he was in the 340s at one point. It's another indicator that his weight is concern, and he's been close to 400 in the past," Zierlein said. "I don't think he'll get (docked by scouts) for being 360, but he needs to get under 350 at the combine. He's not meant to be 330, but you don't want to be that big."

As for Pumphrey, Zierlein said the former Aztecs star would benefit from a chance to play slot receiver or return kickoffs and punts during practice this week.

"Scouts already knew he was small, but when you're confronted with how small he is in person at a weigh-in, it's a little different. You have to start asking exactly what he can do for a team, and you have to wonder who is going to bang the table for him," Zierlein said.

Here are four other things we learned from the Senior Bowl's Tuesday weigh-in:

2. Biggest mitts. Colorado QB Sefo Liufau wasn't the biggest quarterback at the Senior Bowl -- that distinction went to Cal's Davis Webb (6-4 5/8, 229). But Liufau came away with the biggest hands at the position by far with a measurement of 10 7/8 inches. The importance of hand size varies from club to club, but large hands are considered a plus for quarterbacks for ball-security purposes, particularly by teams in cold-weather cities.

3. Kelly misses weigh-in. Quarterbacks Seth Russell of Baylor and Chad Kelly of Ole Miss accepted Senior Bowl invitations but can't play due to injuries. Interestingly, however, only one of the two participated in the weigh-in. Russell measured 6-2 7/8 and just 203 pounds -- 17 pounds lighter than his Baylor roster listing. Kelly was not at the weigh-in, and Savage said it was his initial understanding that the nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly would be there.

4. Jones comes in big. When the Senior Bowl weigh-in announces a prospect's height, it's typically shorter than the listing on his school's official roster. Sometimes, in fact, the disparity can be significant. In the case of East Carolina WR Zay Jones, the reverse was true. Jones was listed at 6-1, 197 pounds by the Pirates, but scouts must have been pleased to learn that he is actually much closer to 6-2 (he measured 6-1 7/8), and weighed 202. Jones posted dizzying production at ECU last year, amassing 158 catches for 1,746 yards.

5. Quotable: "He was listed at 227, and he was 236 at the weigh-in and looked like he carried that pretty well. Scouts will like that, and he can probably get even bigger." - Savage on Ole Miss TE Evan Engram.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Senior Bowl: Mike Mayock's Day 1 practice stars

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst
Published: Jan. 24, 2017 at 09:22 p.m. Updated: Jan. 24, 2017 at 09:37 p.m. 0 Likes | 0 Comments
Read Discuss

MOBILE, Ala. -- Senior Bowl week is always my favorite week of the year. I love watching the nation's top seniors compete in live practices. Tuesday was the start of three straight practice days, and there were plenty of players who made quick impressions. Here are five that stood out to me on Day 1:

Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington
I like this kid. He had 22 catches, including six touchdowns, against two Pac-12 teams in his college career at EWU. He can play at any level; don't let the small school fool you. What I saw on tape is what I saw Tuesday. He's fast. He won deep, he won shallow, he beat press coverage. He can win at all three levels. And he gets it. I think he's going to play and play well very early in his NFL career.

Forrest Lamp, LT, Western Kentucky
The best single tape in the last five years that I've seen against Alabama's defensive front was Lamp's. When they measured him here in the morning, his arm length was just over 30 inches. That's short, and a reason why there's so much talk about moving him inside to guard, perhaps even center. He reminds me of Zack Martin or Joel Bitonio -- guys who were dominating left tackles in college but got kicked inside in the NFL, and still remained really good players. He had a very solid day.

Dan Feeney, OL, Indiana
Feeney and Lamp will both be in the conversation of who's going to be the No. 1 interior offensive linemen in this draft. I'm going to have fun watching them compete all week. They certainly competed in their first practice here. Going into the season, many had Feeney as the No. 1 interior offensive lineman, but when he got back from an early season concussion, he was moved to tackle and played out of position, so there's mixed opinions on him among scouts. But he had a solid start to this week, especially when he shot his hands inside.

Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova
He's really fascinating to me. There was a buzz around him in the scouting community before this week and I think it will pick up even more steam coming out. He was impressive in the morning weigh-in with a ready-made NFL body. And he competed at a high level when he hit the field. When you come from a small school like Villanova you have something to prove, and he did on Day 1, with his effort and toughness. He's raw but had a lot of upside.

Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn
When he keeps his pad level down he can be a monster inside. You don't see many people with that size with those type of movement skills. He's got superior short-area quickness and comes off the ball both in the run and the pass game. In the one-on-one drills nobody could block him on Day 1. He was dominant.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Move The Sticks notes: O.J. Howard star of Senior Bowl Day 1

Print
By Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks NFL.com
Published: Jan. 24, 2017 at 07:44 p.m. Updated: Jan. 24, 2017 at 08:08 p.m. 0 Likes | 0 Comments
Read Discuss

MOBILE, Ala. -- Editor's note: NFL.com analysts and former NFL scouts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks of the Move The Sticks Podcast share some of their scouting notes from Day 1 of the Reese's Senior Bowl.

1. O.J. Howard was the most impressive player of the day. The Alabama TE made a couple of one-handed catches. He made everything look easy. He did a nice job blocking in the run game, too, from what I saw.-- Daniel Jeremiah

2. I believe there's going to be a Jordan Reed-effect in this year's draft. More teams are going to be looking for those matchup nightmares at tight end -- guys that can create headaches on the perimeter. Ole Miss' Evan Engram and South Alabama's Gerald Everett -- both are tight ends for the South team this week -- can move around and make plays on the perimeter. Both of them showed the ability to run routes and separate on Tuesday. They can make plays over the middle of the field or down the field. When you look in the draft for guys that can create explosive plays at tight end, those two players will come to mind. -- Bucky Brooks

3. Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp was the star of the North team on Tuesday. Scouts will get excited about his body control and ability to run routes. I thought he dominated in drills today. He is a very polished player for being a small-school standout. He certainly has entered into the conversation for the first two rounds. -- Bucky Brooks

4. Two other prospects that impressed me on Tuesday at wide receiver -- North Carolina's Ryan Switzer and Texas A&M's Josh Reynolds. Switzer impressed me with his route-running ability, his quickness in and out of breaks and his ability to separate. He has a knack for getting open. To cast him as a slot receiver-only is doing him a disservice. He runs routes where he can get open on the perimeter. As for a comp, he reminds me of how Cole Beasley has impacted the Cowboys in terms of being a pass-catcher who can get open on third down and move the chains. Reynolds was impressive because he's a long, smooth strider and good route runner. He had some drops early in warmups, but you can envision him transitioning into being a nice No. 2 receiver in the league. -- Bucky Brooks

5. Clemson linebacker Ben Boulware surprised me, in a good way, when he was in coverage today. I thought he struggled in coverage on tape, but he did a pretty good job in coverage in the one-on-one drills from what I saw on Tuesday. -- Daniel Jeremiah

6. The concerns about Iowa CB Desmond King coming into this week had to do with his speed and athleticism. The reasons for those concerns showed up today. He doesn't necessarily have the top-end speed to handle premier wide receivers on the perimeter. He might be best suited to slide to safety. -- Bucky Brooks

7. Western Kentucky OL Forrest Lamp, whom I was anxious to see coming into the week, was up and down on Tuesday. He overextended a couple times in pass protection, but he's really strong. He played tackle and guard today. I'm excited to see him slide inside and play center, as well, this week. -- Daniel Jeremiah

8. A couple of South team cornerbacks caught my eye on Tuesday, for different reasons. LSU's Tre'Davious White had a good day. He was always in position. San Diego State's Damontae Kazee was inconsistent. He has great ball skills, but he struggled a bit against the deep ball. -- Daniel Jeremiah

9. I thought East Carolina WR Zay Jones had a really good day. I might be a little bit low on where he should be rated. I'm going to go back and watch more of his tape. -- Daniel Jeremiah

10. Two defensive linemen that stood out on Tuesday -- Charlotte DT Larry Ogunjobi and Villanova DE Tanoh Kpassagnon. Kpassagnon won the weigh-in, measuring in at 6-foot-6 7/8 and 280 pounds, and had a solid day at practice. He's long and athletic. Ogunjobi has great get off. -- Daniel Jeremiah

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have seen Ogunjobi in person. Legs are like damn tree trunks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
NFL draft risers from Day 1 at the Senior Bowl

Cameron Sutton made the most of his opportunity at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday. Joe Robbins/Getty Images
8:17 PM CT
Steve MuenchKevin Weidl

Senior Bowl practices are underway down in Mobile, Alabama. Each day, we'll be going through the players who stood out the most on the field. Here's our review of Day 1.

Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

A foot injury limited Sutton to just seven games this season, so a good performance in Mobile would serve him well. He got off to a nice start Tuesday. He isn't exceptionally big (5-foot-11, 182 pounds), but he has good instincts and awareness and does a nice job of maintaining his leverage in coverage. He also showed good short-area quickness. Sutton can really help his stock with a good week.

Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

The 5-foot-10, 208-pound Hunt stood out as a receiver Tuesday. He's a natural pass-catcher who plucks the ball away from his frame -- one example is that he snatched a pass out of the air with one hand. He needs to work on his technique in pass protection, however, as he got caught ducking his head a couple times during one-on-ones. He did show a willingness to step up. Hunt is an above-average route runner with the quickness to separate. As a runner, his burst to and through the hole -- as well as his foot speed -- stood out during individual work.

Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington

Kupp is one of the most decorated receivers in FCS history, but the biggest question coming into this week was whether he had the speed to separate from quality competition. In one-on-one drills, he showed the ability to get vertical and behind the defense. Kupp had just one drop on the day, from what I saw, and he got out of his breaks well. We have a third-round grade on him right now, but it's possible he could sneak into the second round with a few more standout practices.

Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin

Biegel is an effective hand fighter who used a swim move to beat Florida International's Jonnu Smith and a push-pull move to beat Arkansas' Jeremy Sprinkle during one-on-one pass-rush drills with the tight ends. He also did a nice job setting the edge, locating the ball and getting off blocks, in addition to blowing up a play in the backfield and chasing with above-average effort as a run defender.

Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia

Douglas led the FBS with eight interceptions this season, but he started for only one season at West Virginia, so he was a guy many watched closely Tuesday. His measurables are off the charts -- 6-foot-2, 204 pounds, 32-inch arms -- and he has really good feet. Douglas does a good job of locating the ball in the air and using his frame to disrupt the wide receiver. If he runs well at the combine, his stock could skyrocket.

Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama

Everett stood out as a receiver Tuesday, which was important because he weighed in at just 227 pounds, and his hands measured just over 8 inches this morning. He showed the ability to catch the ball away from his frame and make contested catches despite those smaller hands. His diving catch along the sideline late in the South practice was one of the better plays of the day. He also flashed as a route runner using changes in tempo and sound footwork to get open.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How top prospects fared at Senior Bowl Day 1

Alabama's O.J. Howard looked the part during Senior Bowl practices on Tuesday. Jamie Squire/Getty Images
8:24 PM CT
Todd McShay
ESPN Senior Writer

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Howard was the story of the South practice. He had a couple of impressive one-handed catches, and his athletic ability really stood out. He separated easily down the field. There are three or four first-rounders here, and Howard definitely played like one Tuesday. I'd like to see him show some improvement in his blocking and route-running over the next few days, but there's no question he's a top-tier tight end. I'll probably will come down to Howard and Miami's David Njoku for the first TE off the board in April's draft.

Nathan Peterman, QB, Pitt

Peterman wasn't all that well known in draft circles coming into the season, but that's about to change. He had an impressive first day in Mobile, working in a new system and with a new set of receivers. Peterman was the most consistently accurate of all the quarterbacks here. He's decisive, moves through his progressions well and gets the ball out on time. I saw Peterman twice in person over the past two seasons -- against Notre Dame last season and in Pitt's upset victory over Clemson in 2016. He impressed me both times, and I always thought he was the sleeper quarterback in this class. He has emerged over the course of this season more than any other senior quarterback. With a few more good days of practice, he could be a Day 2 pick.

C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa

Beathard had smaller hands than Peterman (just over nine inches compared to nearly 10 inches), and he wasn't quite as consistently accurate as his fellow North team QB. But Beathard has a strong arm. He had a couple of deep-out throws outside the hashes that had good zip on them. He's a tough evaluation after struggling at times behind an inconsistent offensive line this season. But the Iowa coaching staff raves about Beathard's leadership ability. He showed great physical and mental toughness throughout his career. I'll be watching to see if he can speed up his process a bit throughout the week. Beathard and Peterman are pretty close right now on my board; this will be part of separating them.

Jaleel Johnson, DT, Iowa

There were a bunch of good performances Tuesday from defensive linemen, but Johnson stood out as the most dominant. I didn't see him lose once during one-on-one drills. Johnson has such good quickness and explosive power. He flies off the ball and can really rock offensive linemen with his initial punch. It confirms what he showed on tape against good competition this season (the Michigan and Wisconsin games stand out). The cream always rises to the top here, and Johnson was one of the best players on the field Tuesday. He has a chance to be a top-50 pick and can solidify a spot in the second round with a few more good days of practice.

Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego State

Pumphrey, who set the FBS career rushing record in SDSU's bowl game, has been overlooked throughout his entire career. He's a great kid with a great backstory. You saw the explosiveness on the practice field Tuesday that helped him have so much success in college. He has the agility to make guys miss, but he didn't do a great job of separating in the pass game. His measurables are all at the bottom end (5-8, 169), and it showed up during pass-blocking drills. This is a good opportunity for him to learn how to be crafty as a blocker. We have an early Day 3 grade on him now. Pumphrey is an exciting player whom you want to pull for, but he has to show more over the next few days to boost his stock.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Well, there goes the dream of getting Kupp in the third, maybe even the second now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Senior Bowl Notebook: Pecking Order Taking Shape After Solid Day 2

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:22 PM CST

By Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

@BryanBroaddus

MOBILE, Ala. – There’s plenty you can glean from one of these all-star practices at the Senior Bowl – so now that we’ve seen four total practices, there’s a lot to discuss.

It’s always fun to see who can maintain their momentum through the week, who struggles and who improves as practice continues. Wednesday’s work saw a little bit of everything, as we continue to get a grasp on what this draft class looks like.

Here’s some Day 2 highlights from Ladd-Peebles Stadium:

Read
•What a difference a year makes from last year’s crop of quarterbacks to this year’s -- especially with the North squad. Colorado’s Sefo Liufau, Pittsburgh’s Nate Peterman and Iowa’s C.J. Beathard were all over the place with their ball placement. Luckily for them their receivers, led by Eastern Washington’s Cooper Kupp, Louisiana Tech’s Trent Taylor and Syracuse’s Amba Etta-Tawo were able to bail them out. These receivers had to deal with a consistent bad ball drill, snap after snap.

•I have to say I was surprised with how much Indiana guard Dan Feeney struggled during practice. Other than getting outside quickly and cleanly on a screen blocker, he wasn't his normal quality self. There were too many snaps where he was reaching and leaning, which left him off balance and in poor blocking position. Feeney's best trait is his ability to play on his feet.

•I could see a 3-4 team falling in love with Notre Dame Isaac Rochell. At 6-4, 282 he's the ideal size to play as a five-technique, over the offensive tackle in that scheme. In these practices he has shown the ability to play with his hands to control the blocker, then quickly disengage when he needed to. He even reduced down inside over the guard and showed some quality snaps there.

•Nice job by Dane Brugler of putting Temple linebacker Haason Reddick in his initial Top 50 last week for CBS Sports. I have yet to study Reddick myself on tape, but the way he has moved around during these practices and his ability to finish have been impressive. From his ability to cover in the one-on-one period to the pass rushing opportunities in the team period, he was all over the field. There appeared very little he couldn’t do as a player.

•I wasn't super high on West Virginia cornerback Rasul Douglas when I studied him on tape. My initial grade was in the fourth round and I was willing to leave him there. Watching him during practice, he showed me a little more than that. His awareness playing routes and positioning was right where it needed to be. There were two snaps during the red zone portion of practice where he was able to undercut the receiver and make a play on the ball. He's a press man corner with more awareness than I thought.

•The more I watch, the more I believe there is no way that Alabama tight end O.J. Howard gets to the Cowboys at No. 28. His ability to get down the field in routes is comparable to Pro Bowl tight end Greg Olsen up in Carolina, and that makes him a difficult guy to defend. Watching him play live in these practices just confirms his ability.

•After a practice where I didn't notice him much, Tennessee cornerback Cameron Sutton came to play. The Browns’ coaching staff was using him as a safety and linebacker in nickel situations, and he didn't look out of place at all with his alignment and angles. He showed some awareness being new to the position. He even had a couple of shots to carry O.J. Howard and did well.

•I thought it was a better day for UCLA offensive tackle Conor McDermott from what I saw on Tuesday. His technique and balance were poor on Day 1, and that put him in some bad blocking positions. He did a much better job with his hands and feet, which allowed him to keep his man wide. He didn't play like he was distressed or uncomfortable. Even when the rushers tried to take him down inside with power he was up to the task.

•One player that flashed along the defensive line at end was Tarrell Basham out of Ohio University. At 6-4, 259 pounds, he has that right defensive end build, but he was able to get home a couple of different times from both sides.

•I was disappointed to see LSU cornerback Tre'Davious White walk off the field with the trainers during practice. It appeared that White suffered an ankle injury which will likely sideline him for the game Saturday.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Move The Sticks notes: Evan Engram stars on Senior Bowl Day 2

Print
By Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks NFL.com
MTS Senior Bowl Day 1 notebook

MOBILE, Ala. -- Editor's note: NFL.com analysts and former NFL scouts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks of the Move The Sticks Podcast share some of their scouting notes from Day 2 of the Reese's Senior Bowl.

1. It's been the tight end show here in Mobile. Alabama's O.J. Howard was the star of Tuesday's practice, and Ole Miss TE Evan Engram was the standout on Wednesday. No one on the field could cover him today. Engram created separation and made some difficult catches. He's a very smooth, natural catcher. -- Daniel Jeremiah

2. As good as Engram was, Temple LB Hassan Reddick might've been the star of the day on Wednesday. In one-on-one drills, he was dominant. He covered well, and he rushed well vs. the backs. I don't know if he lost on a single rep today. I'll be watching more tape of him. He's on the rise. -- Daniel Jeremiah

3. This year's RB class has been called one of the deepest groups in the draft and I continue to be impressed by the prospects at the position here at the Senior Bowl. North Carolina State's Matt Dayes has been a top performer in practices over the past two days. He's shown outstanding footwork, great balance and excellent body control. He's been mentioned as a draft sleeper. I believe he's going to be one of those third-down backs who can come in and make a huge splash right away. -- Bucky Brooks

4. I thought UConn safety Obi Melifonwu was outstanding on Wednesday. At 6-foot-4, 219 pounds, the way he was running around out on the field caught my eye. I've heard he's going to test off the charts at the NFL Scouting Combine. -- Daniel Jeremiah

5. Tennessee's Cam Sutton played in just 7 games in 2016, as he was sidelined early in the season by a fractured ankle. I think a lot of people are impressed with his versatility and what he's shown in practices here in Mobile. He's played CB, nickel back and safety. He can be that extra corner who can do a bunch of different things for a defense. He reminds of the Packers' Micah Hyde, someone who can fill in at every spot and make an impact. -- Bucky Brooks

6. O.J. Howard had a good day on Wednesday, but I don't think he was as good as he was on Tuesday. I saw him drop a couple of passes on Wednesday. -- Daniel Jeremiah

7. Alabama DT Dalvin Tomlinson gets overshadowed playing on a Crimson Tide defense that is loaded with NFL talent, but he's making a big impression in Mobile. He's had two good days of practice in a row. He brings a lot of power to the field. -- Daniel Jeremiah

8. Toledo RB Kareem Hunt is big and physical. Coming into Senior Bowl week, we knew he could run the ball. I've been really impressed with his ability to catch the ball in practices. When you think about today's game and the way it's evolving, your RBs need to make contributions in a couple different ways -- not only as a runner but as a receiver – and he has shown that he can do that here in Mobile. -- Bucky Brooks

9. Ohio DE Tarell Basham has the best get-off of any of the defensive ends here. He showed that on Wednesday, consistently beating his opponent off the ball. -- Daniel Jeremiah

10. I thought LSU C Ethan Pocic had a much better day on Wednesday than he did on Tuesday. He did a better job in the one-on-one pass-rushing drills that I saw. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Top Bottom