Cowboys Free Agents

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Claiborne flashed a few plays here and there, but much more often I noticed him getting picked on and beaten.

At this point, do not want.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Church is a bum. Can't cover, can't tackle, can't play.
Agreed, and we have the same guy in a cheaper and younger Wilcox.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Carr almost never misses games, we should probably just stick with him and hope he takes a lesser deal if the choice is between him and Claiborne. Even if he doesn't take a lesser deal we can easily cut him after next season and save a huge amount on the cap. I'd be fine rolling with Carr, Scandrick, the Mitchell dude from Oregon and a 3rd-5th rounder in the draft.

This is one of the deepest CB classes I can remember with a whole boatload of guys that are 6-0+, we could easily snag a guy like Xavien Howard in the 4th, who I'd be perfectly comfortable with as our 3rd/4th CB.

As for Hayden, I feel like people have unfair hatred for him because the coaching staff insists on playing him huge snaps/making him the starter. He signed a 1 year deal last offseason for less than a million, assuming he takes that again why wouldn't you want a guy like that as your 4th or 5th DT? A guy who has started, been passable enough to where our run defense was decent these last 2 seasons, and knows the scheme?

The problem is that the staff insists on starting him and not looking for an upgrade, but if it was up to me I'd be totally fine having him back as depth and nothing more.
I agree about corner. I'd much rather replace Church at safety then to mess around at corner too much. If I'm giving out even a medium size contract in free agency it would be to replace Church who was a total and complete disaster this year.

I just don't like Hayden. He isn't a particularly good run stuffer and he brings absolutely nothing against the pass. He literally has never even registered a sack for us. I mean that's just plain ugly. If he was at least pushing the pocket I would understand but he isn't very powerful. He is basically a warm body and nothing else. I have zero idea why he is still in the league.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
For someone who hates Nick Hayden so much, I'm very surprised you want him back. Personally I think he is a massive progress stopper and a crutch for this staff.
You're right that I can't stand him-- as a starter-- and I *despite* the bullshit praise he garners from the coaches. This is really just Marinelli's way of giving Jerry Jones a hand-job.

But I think Hayden's a fine backup who has proven he can stay healthy and who also knows the defense very well.

The problem has been Jerry Jones' idiotic stance that the NT/1T position doesn't matter, which couldn't be further from the truth. NT is like the keystone in an arch; the position supports the entire defense.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The problem has been Jerry Jones' idiotic stance that the NT/1T position doesn't matter, which couldn't be further from the truth. NT is like the keystone in an arch; the position supports the entire defense.
It has driven me crazy how we've neglected the NT and now DT position. Marinelli seems particular abt DTs and seems to not value them high in the draft. Not sure who is in JJs ear, whether it's Lacewell, Switzer or who but someone is convincing him DTs aren't valuable.

Makes no sense in a 4-3 how we value LBs over DT.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It has driven me crazy how we've neglected the NT and now DT position. Marinelli seems particular abt DTs and seems to not value them high in the draft. Not sure who is in JJs ear, whether it's Lacewell, Switzer or who but someone is convincing him DTs aren't valuable.

Makes no sense in a 4-3 how we value LBs over DT.
Agreed. Like since when has Marinelli ever been a personnel guy?

Had Marinelli been on the team and a decision maker at the time the Bucs may never have drafted Booger McFarland. Kiffen's Bucs defenses hugely benefited from from that move, but all Marinelli seems concerned about is the 3T, WLB, and maybe the RDE.

Yeah they get you the splash plays, but it's the McFarlands that help make more of those plays possible.

Top Bottom