Archer: Cowboys aren't miles and miles from a Super Bowl

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys aren't miles and miles from a Super Bowl
Jan 23, 2017
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys do not need "alternative facts" to describe their standing in the NFC. They are contenders.

Their loss to the Green Bay Packers in the divisional round was not made any easier with how the Atlanta Falcons dismantled the team that beat them in the NFC Championship Game.

More than a few Cowboys and more than a few thousand of their fans had to wonder how Mason Crosby missed a 41-yard field goal attempt on the Packers’ first drive Sunday after drilling field goals of 56 and 51 yards in the final two minutes against them.

More than a few Cowboys and more than a few thousand of their fans had to wonder why Aaron Rodgers couldn’t have been more human against them than Atlanta. More than a few Cowboys and more than a few thousand of their fans had to wonder why the Cowboys didn’t slice up the Green Bay defense the way Matt Ryan did.

More than a few Cowboys and more than few thousand of their fans had to wonder how things would have gone Sunday if the Falcons had to visit AT&T Stadium for an NFC Championship Game.

But the Cowboys and their fans don’t have to wonder if they are contenders.

They were within a stop on third-and-20 against Rodgers of possibly hosting the Falcons. That’s contending.

They have a young offense with pieces that makes a lot of teams envious. They have an offensive line with three All-Pros. They have the best young running back in the game, Ezekiel Elliott, who led the NFL in rushing. They have a young quarterback in Dak Prescott, who showed he can stand in there against the best competition. They have Dez Bryant, Jason Witten and Cole Beasley.

Defensively, they need pieces but they have Sean Lee, an All-Pro linebacker, and some solid pieces in Byron Jones, Maliek Collins, David Irving and some hope in Jaylon Smith. Clearly they need pass-rush help, as does every team, even the Falcons and New England Patriots, who will play in Super Bowl LI. They need secondary help, as does every team. They need to add pieces on offense, too

The Cowboys beat two of the four semifinalists in the regular season. They won at Lambeau Field against the Packers. They won at Heinz Field against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Their season ended on inches, either Jared Cook’s toes on the 35-yard catch with three seconds to play or Nick Perry’s knock down of a Prescott pass on third down. Or so many other plays.

But they contended.

Nothing is guaranteed of course. After the Cowboys lost to the New York Giants in the divisional round of the 2007 playoffs, they looked like a team poised for yearly contention with a young quarterback, young running back, young tight end, good offensive line and a better defense only to implode to a 9-7 finish in 2008 when they missed the playoffs.

That team opened the year on “Hard Knocks” and believed it was ready for a simple coronation.

Jason Garrett’s charge will be to get the same "fight" as he got in 2016. The good news is the Cowboys aren’t in a rebuild.

Atlanta’s 44-21 win against the Packers doesn’t mean the Cowboys are miles and miles away from being in a Super Bowl.

Sunday was more the Falcons’ day, just as last Sunday was Rodgers’ day.

That doesn’t mean the Cowboys won’t have their day.

townsend

Banned
I'm not much for "better luck next time" unless you are the Patriots, there are no guarantees you'll be good next year.

Panthers and Broncos, Cardinals, Vikings all missed the playoffs after making it in 2015.

After 2009 we looked like a team on the upswing too.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'm not much for "better luck next time" unless you are the Patriots, there are no guarantees you'll be good next year.

Panthers and Broncos, Cardinals, Vikings all missed the playoffs after making it in 2015.

and 2014...

BipolarFuk

Demoted

All those teams have questionable QBs.

If Dak is a superstar, and durable, we should have continued success.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
All those teams have questionable QBs.

If Dak is a superstar, and durable, we should have continued success.
Yea, and to be honest Cam had a fluke season in 2015.

If you exclude 2015 his passing TD:INT ratio over 5 seasons is 101:68, that's an average of almost exactly 20 TD's:13 INT's, and if you look at each year aside from 2015 that's generally right around where he's been. Then in 2015 he blows up for 35 TD's to 10 INT's, so 2016 was just him regressing to the mean.

Those other teams all have old/injured QB's, and Denver lost critical pieces to their defense in free agency in Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan.

shane

DCC 4Life
For all we know, this year could have been our best shot.

The media can take this "rose colored glasses" BS and shove it. The team will always be out-coached and outsmarted on game day, and that should always worry everyone.

data

Forbes #1
Yea, and to be honest Cam had a fluke season in 2015.

If you exclude 2015 his passing TD:INT ratio over 5 seasons is 101:68, that's an average of almost exactly 20 TD's:13 INT's, and if you look at each year aside from 2015 that's generally right around where he's been. Then in 2015 he blows up for 35 TD's to 10 INT's, so 2016 was just him regressing to the mean.

Those other teams all have old/injured QB's, and Denver lost critical pieces to their defense in free agency in Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan.
in all fairness, Cam has averaged 7 rushing TDs (excluding 2015) for a more impressive 27 TD:13 INT ratio. Also, he has a pretty shitty surrounding cast, aside from Greg Olsen.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
in all fairness, Cam has averaged 7 rushing TDs (excluding 2015) for a more impressive 27 TD:13 INT ratio. Also, he has a pretty shitty surrounding cast, aside from Greg Olsen.
I wouldn't mind a guy like Kelvin Benjamin, though. And that OL and running game has been pretty solid too.

They're missing that signature leader and speed WR they had in Steve Smith, but he was a rare kind of player.

data

Forbes #1
I wouldn't mind a guy like Kelvin Benjamin, though. And that OL and running game has been pretty solid too.

They're missing that signature leader and speed WR they had in Steve Smith, but he was a rare kind of player.
Kelvin Benjamin to replace T-Will? Sure. As a #1, though?

I wouldn't peg you as a guy that'd give a rats ass about the difference between a great and above average running game, as long as it keeps defenses honest for 25+ yard passing plays.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
No Kelvin Benjamin.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Kelvin Benjamin to replace T-Will? Sure. As a #1, though?

I wouldn't peg you as a guy that'd give a rats ass about the difference between a great and above average running game, as long as it keeps defenses honest for 25+ yard passing plays.
We were talking about Cam's supporting cast, and I said Benjamin isn't a bad player. He's not.

The running game is a critical part of the offense as it forms the basis for everything else. Most of my favorite Cowboys of all time are RB's.

But 25+ plays when combined with solid all-around offense make the difference between championship football and almost championship football. You don't build an offense around just throwing deep passes, but you aren't winning the Superbowl without them either.

Even GB's 4 (almost 5) 25+ plays against Dallas wouldn't have won them the game had they not also ran the ball effectively, which they were able to do. Right up the gut.

The Falcons did everything against Green Bay, and blew them up with multiple 25+ plays on top of it. Blowout.

The combination is hard to overcome.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
May not be miles and miles away, but I don't see us receiving the help we'll need on defense this offseason. Teams don't let quality pass rushers hit the market often and it'll be tough having a rookie, let alone a late first or day 2 pass rusher be the difference maker for us next year. Not to mention trying to win the 3-4 postseason games it'd take to win it all without Garrett or the staff screwing something up again.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
An edge rusher and a good corner or 2 would be sweet out of the draft, but even a stud interior guy that can push to add to what we have would be a great help and help the edge guys. I think they will figure it out this off season and get us there.

Top Bottom