Fix it...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Pretend I have the words "would be" in the above post. Add them wherever it makes you happy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm also disappointed in Cedric Thornton. For him to only be a backup rotational guy is not good. The worst part is, cutting him doesn't save you any money. You break even. He's essentially costing you the same this year to be here or not, so you might as well keep him.

If he had really panned out with a season where he was an upgrade over McClain, I might be pumped about a future of him and Collins as the starters.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think I would have rather had Sterling Moore come in on obvious passing situations and let Byron stay at free safety, instead of bringing in Wilcox or Heath. I think allowing Jones to play safety or corner (instead of rotating) would have been beneficial in the long run. Moore wasn't bad, would have been good depth and not a complete liability. The rotation had to happen this year, but I don't agree with it. Either sign another true free safety in the offseason or a corner that will allow Jones to stay at the safety position.
Sterling Moore would have been the 5th best DB on this defense.

Have you forgotten how he was shredded by Rodgers in 2014?

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm also disappointed in Cedric Thornton. For him to only be a backup rotational guy is not good. The worst part is, cutting him doesn't save you any money. You break even. He's essentially costing you the same this year to be here or not, so you might as well keep him.

If he had really panned out with a season where he was an upgrade over McClain, I might be pumped about a future of him and Collins as the starters.
McClain had a very good year for a 1 Tech, you have to factor that in when judging Thornton.

And Thornton is almost making backup money so he is at least great depth.

Imo he was looking much better before he got hurt, he is never going to be a pass rush guy.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Sterling Moore would have been the 5th best DB on this defense.

Have you forgotten how he was shredded by Rodgers in 2014?
Yeah I probably have forgotten, but in the limited amount of Saints games I watched this year he seemed to be fine.

Newt

DCC 4Life
McClain had a very good year for a 1 Tech, you have to factor that in when judging Thornton.

And Thornton is almost making backup money so he is at least great depth.

Imo he was looking much better before he got hurt, he is never going to be a pass rush guy.
If tapper can give us anything next year we would have a decent 4 man rotation assuming he is going to line up at the 3 tech. still need an edge rusher though, would love to see Irving continue on the path he was on towards the end of the season. I wonder why he didn't get more playing time?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If tapper can give us anything next year we would have a decent 4 man rotation assuming he is going to line up at the 3 tech. still need an edge rusher though, would love to see Irving continue on the path he was on towards the end of the season. I wonder why he didn't get more playing time?
I actually really like Tapper. I wish his back would have been ok this year because I would have loved to get a look at him. He certainly has the size/speed combo that you love as a DE. I mean you can't teach 270 pounds and 4.59 forty speed. He was never really used as an edge rusher at Oklahoma though so there will probably be a learning process there. One that has now been set back by a year.

I wouldn't count on him to start or anything but I think Tapper will be a legit contributor at DE next year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think Irving is a matchup guy, can dominate against a weak link but can be handled by top level olinemen.

He probably also needs to play one position predominantly so he learn better technique and become used to the spot.

I don't really know if he can be a plus starter, they pretty much tried to give him the LE position in camp.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I think Jaylon Smith gives us a good shot in the arm next year, if healthy, which all signs point to him being 100%. Pair him with Sean Lee and we have one of the top LB groups in the league on paper. I like Hitchens, not the best but if Hitchens is your third best linebacker I think you are doing OK.
My only concern with that scenario is that I don't see Lee staying healthy for two straight seasons.

Would be great if he did but highly unlikely.

I'm still hoping that we can add Hankins or Logan this off season.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
My only concern with that scenario is that I don't see Lee staying healthy for two straight seasons.

He's been pretty much healthy for the last two seasons.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm still hoping that we can add Hankins or Logan this off season.
He seems to be getting more durable with age. Like Benjamin Button.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He's been pretty much healthy for the last two seasons.
Yep.

They said when he had the procedure in 2014 that it may have fixed a nagging thing in his knee that he's been dealing with since college and it's starting to look like that's the case.

Top Bottom