Fix it...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm with schmitty. We were 13-3 for good reason. I'd pretty much stay out of free agency and attack pass rush in the draft, unless there's a free agent pass rusher that blows me away which is unlikely. Otherwise I'd focus on resigning as many of our guys as I can. I'm not worried about much else with this team.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm with schmitty. We were 13-3 for good reason. I'd pretty much stay out of free agency and attack pass rush in the draft, unless there's a free agent pass rusher that blows me away which is unlikely. Otherwise I'd focus on resigning as many of our guys as I can. I'm not worried about much else with this team.
We don't have to go nuts in free agency but I think just sitting on our hands completely is a mistake. Weddle was supposedly down to Baltimore/Dallas last year and ended up signing in Baltimore for about $7 a year, there's no reason we shouldn't be interested in some strategic spending if it's the right situation.

A good example would be Melvin Ingram or Mario Addison, particularly Ingram since he's only 28. If we can grab one of them for about $7-8 a year we need to do it.

Eric Berry is a unique example because he's a truly elite player and if he comes available I think we should be willing to break the bank for him.

Other than that I agree that we should just lay back and see what kind of opportunities open up to us.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a lot of free agents in the secondary. Church, Wilcox, Carr and Claiborne are all free agents. It's really the spot where we have the biggest decisions to make. And I'm ok bringing guys like Carr back but I'm not going to over pay for a guy who is basically mediocre and his best quality is his durability. Claiborne I won't pay for either simply because he isn't reliable. Brown to me has the ability to be a top 3 corner in this defense so it's obviously ok to lose one of those two corners.

Church is a little bit of a hard decision as well. I like Church but I just hate paying out on sort of mediocre aging talent. He is sort of a leader though and I can't imagine he will cost too much. I'd probably bring him back for those reasons alone. Wilcox is the type of guy you bring back if he makes it through a few weeks of free agency and doesn't find a home.

Genghis Khan

I really think our secondary is fine and actually pretty good if we get a pass rush. Unless you get a true elite player like Berry, I don't really think shuffling the deck back there moves the needle much, if at all.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I think I'd mostly focus on re-signing guys. There does not appear to be much worthwhile on the FA market.

Sterling Moore? No thanks.

I might try to bank cap space for once. Focus on the draft.
I think I would have rather had Sterling Moore come in on obvious passing situations and let Byron stay at free safety, instead of bringing in Wilcox or Heath. I think allowing Jones to play safety or corner (instead of rotating) would have been beneficial in the long run. Moore wasn't bad, would have been good depth and not a complete liability. The rotation had to happen this year, but I don't agree with it. Either sign another true free safety in the offseason or a corner that will allow Jones to stay at the safety position.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I really think our secondary is fine and actually pretty good if we get a pass rush. Unless you get a true elite player like Berry, I don't really think shuffling the deck back there moves the needle much, if at all.
You are exactly right, I just want that truly elite player, either at safety or at corner. Don't care which. Give me a pass rush and one true shut down guy. The pass rush is more important to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are exactly right, I just want that truly elite player, either at safety or at corner. Don't care which. Give me a pass rush and one true shut down guy. The pass rush is more important to me.
This is sort of my thing. If say Church and Carr are each going to cost about 5 mil a season. Wouldn't you rather just have one stud like Berry instead? Carr isn't significantly better then the other corners on our roster. So why not save the money on him and add an actual elite player to the secondary?

In the end I agree that pressuring the QB needs to be the bigger priority for the defense. Mainly we just need a more consistent edge rusher. But those are rare in free agency and our best shot is probably in the draft. Even then it's not a sure thing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Absolutely. Earlier today I was thinking about how we need to avoid making the same mistakes we made in 2008, and 2015 to a lesser degree.

Don't screw with the team chemistry. We don't need to sell our souls bringing in lazy "name" players with checkered pasts.

Try to retain a few key free agents then address the other weak spots in the draft.

I see no reason for a complete overhaul.....and honestly that's not even a realistic option.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Not sure I'd pay him even that. Not at his age and mediocre play. I appreciate his durability but that's about all I appreciate.

I may let Carr go. Move Byron to corner and make a push to sign a real FS. I think Byron can move into the Carr role fairly easy. That gives you Scandrick, Brown and Jones as your corners. Just sign a fourth guy cheap somewhere. Of course if you can't get Eric Berry (Franchise tag) I'm not sure who the plan B safeties would be.
Carr needs to go.

I probably roll the dice 1 more time on Claiborne, although thats not my perfect scenario. Move Jones to CB...you still have Scandrick and Brown. Go get a proven safety like Berry if you can. If not, try to dig up one in the draft.

Add some talent to get to the QB, and all of a sudden your back end looks even better.

But Carr? I just don't think he is all that great anymore.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Carr needs to go.

I probably roll the dice 1 more time on Claiborne, although thats not my perfect scenario. Move Jones to CB...you still have Scandrick and Brown. Go get a proven safety like Berry if you can. If not, try to dig up one in the draft.

Add some talent to get to the QB, and all of a sudden your back end looks even better.

But Carr? I just don't think he is all that great anymore.
I would like to see Claiborne work out but it is always something with him. He can't seem to go 4 games at a time without having an injury problem. He seems to be out of the lineup more than Romo. I used to think Lee was the glass warrior but I think I have moved that designation to Claiborne.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would like to see Claiborne work out but it is always something with him. He can't seem to go 4 games at a time without having an injury problem. He seems to be out of the lineup more than Romo. I used to think Lee was the glass warrior but I think I have moved that designation to Claiborne.
The sad thing is Claiborne finally stopped sucking and actually looked like a top notch corner. But the injury bug hit him again. I may bring him back but it better be cheap. Basically pay him like I'm assuming he will miss half the season.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Fix the DL. Period. Wouldnt matter if you had 4 Deion Sanders' back there if they have to cover wrs for 6+seconds. Fix the DL and everyone behind them suddenly looks better. Just my 2 cents.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fix the DL. Period. Wouldnt matter if you had 4 Deion Sanders' back there if they have to cover wrs for 6+seconds. Fix the DL and everyone behind them suddenly looks better. Just my 2 cents.
Sure, we all want to improve the pass rush. I doubt you'd find a poster on this board who doesn't want to improve the pass rush. But that is easier said then done. And frankly the DBs matter too. And considering 3 of our starters in the secondary are free agents, we have to make some decisions there. And oh yeah our third safety is also a free agent.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Your 2 cents are worth a million. The defense needs fixing and the biggest problem is the pass rush. Start there.

Genghis Khan

In 92 we picked up Haley, Thomas Everett and drafted Kevin Smith. Those three moves made a world of difference for our defense.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
In 92 we picked up Haley, Thomas Everett and drafted Kevin Smith. Those three moves made a world of difference for our defense.
They are probably too old now.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I think Jaylon Smith gives us a good shot in the arm next year, if healthy, which all signs point to him being 100%. Pair him with Sean Lee and we have one of the top LB groups in the league on paper. I like Hitchens, not the best but if Hitchens is your third best linebacker I think you are doing OK.

We got next to nothing out of Cedric Thornton this season, a real disappointment, but I think he returns for at least one more season. Tapper never saw the field, Collins was OK, and David Irving showed he can be dominant. Demarcus Lawrence hasn't lived up to his draft status, he needs to be an 8-10 sack a year guy, injuries held him back this year, but even when he was on the field it was less than impressive. We need to add a PLAYER along the defensive line. I think that one addition is the key for this defense.

The secondary is going to cause problems, to many free agents at the same time. Carr will probably be gone. I would like to keep Mo, but it would have to be a decent price, he is hurt to much too pay big money. So that leaves us with Scandrick, Brown, Jones, Wilcox, Heath. You almost have to resign Church, but again, he's not a player I want to throw big money at. The key here, to me is, as long as we don't regress and we add the player on the D-line we should be fine. I would prefer to not have to settle for "fine" and go out and get a top end player to help steer the secondary in the right direction.

I think you can create enough cap space to get two playmakers on the defense. If we do that I think we go from fine to pretty damn good.

Genghis Khan

I think Jaylon Smith gives us a good shot in the arm next year, if healthy, which all signs point to him being 100%. Pair him with Sean Lee and we have one of the top LB groups in the league on paper. I like Hitchens, not the best but if Hitchens is your third best linebacker I think you are doing OK.

We got next to nothing out of Cedric Thornton this season, a real disappointment, but I think he returns for at least one more season. Tapper never saw the field, Collins was OK, and David Irving showed he can be dominant. Demarcus Lawrence hasn't lived up to his draft status, he needs to be an 8-10 sack a year guy, injuries held him back this year, but even when he was on the field it was less than impressive. We need to add a PLAYER along the defensive line. I think that one addition is the key for this defense.

The secondary is going to cause problems, to many free agents at the same time. Carr will probably be gone. I would like to keep Mo, but it would have to be a decent price, he is hurt to much too pay big money. So that leaves us with Scandrick, Brown, Jones, Wilcox, Heath. You almost have to resign Church, but again, he's not a player I want to throw big money at. The key here, to me is, as long as we don't regress and we add the player on the D-line we should be fine. I would prefer to not have to settle for "fine" and go out and get a top end player to help steer the secondary in the right direction.

I think you can create enough cap space to get two playmakers on the defense. If we do that I think we go from fine to pretty damn good.
I agree that adding 2 playmakers on defense a big boost. A big time pass rusher and a ball hawk in the secondary sure would look nice.

Top Bottom