Coach Firing/Hiring Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Ian Rapoport – Verified account ‏@RapSheet

Sounds like Adam Gase impressed in Philly. I'm told the #Eagles plan to bring him back for a second interview this weekend

Genghis Khan

Interesting that the eagles don't seem interested in McDermott. A lot of the fanbase seems to want him, but no interview scheduled or even rumored. McDermott grew up in Philly, too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting that the eagles don't seem interested in McDermott. A lot of the fanbase seems to want him, but no interview scheduled or even rumored. McDermott grew up in Philly, too.
It takes a pretty ballsy team to fire a coach and then turn around and try and hire them as a head coach.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Probably the best season of Cutler's career. So there is that. Kind of shows that maybe those Manning years weren't all just Manning. I think Gase is a pretty good coach.
Maybe, although Cutler didn't do anything to impress me this year. His stats aren't appreciably better than what he's done for most of his career and if anything, it's right on par with what he was doing in 2013 when he had very similar stats despite missing several more games.

If anything this was probably just him reverting back to the mean after a relatively poor season last year as opposed to some renaissance.

What Carson Palmer has done this year is a renaissance, what Jay Cutler has done is basically just reverting back to normal. The Bears offense was also below average in almost every category this year.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
According to FootballScoop Sean Payton is staying in NO to coach.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
According to FootballScoop Sean Payton is staying in NO to coach.
Good, give him one more year there and then when (hopefully) Garrett goes after next season we can bring him in.

Genghis Khan

It takes a pretty ballsy team to fire a coach and then turn around and try and hire them as a head coach.
That's normally true, but it seems like the fanbase would be pretty supportive of it. The sense is that McDermott got older, wiser and better in his 5 or whatever years in Carolina. He was in his 30s in Philly so wasn't a finished product yet.

Personally I'm somewhat skeptical of him. But I'm surprised they aren't at least talking to him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's normally true, but it seems like the fanbase would be pretty supportive of it. The sense is that McDermott got older, wiser and better in his 5 or whatever years in Carolina. He was in his 30s in Philly so wasn't a finished product yet.

Personally I'm somewhat skeptical of him. But I'm surprised they aren't at least talking to him.
I've always been a big Ron Rivera fan. He is a guy that I wanted here in Dallas for his ability to run a defense. So it always has to make you a bit skeptical when the defensive coordinator for someone like that is getting propped. You just don't know if it is the head coach doing everything or if McDermott also deserves credit for that defense.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

Genghis Khan

Woah.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Idiots

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Apparently the rumor is they are afraid of losing Dirk Koetter if they don't promote him.

I wonder if Smith would take a job in Dallas.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Payton staying in New Orleans for another year is pretty big news. He would be the best available candidate were he available and with two NFC East teams looking for a HC, it's nice that he isn't. I still think the Giants/Eagles need vast personnel upgrades before Payton could really make any headway there but it's nice that they won't even have the opportunity to go after him.

And then of course there is the fact that there is a very good chance that Garrett is gone following the 2016 season and that Payton will be even more available.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would take Lovie Smith in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom