Fix it...

Newt

DCC 4Life
You don't like it, I didn't like it, so fix it.

You can't do anything with the coaching staff, Garrett isn't going anywhere so be realistic. What's your first priority, and how do you fill out the roster next year?

For me, making sure the O-line stays dominant is my first priority. Free would no longer be a starter for me and would have to take a pay cut to remain on the team. I think Collins can play right tackle, at a high level. That leaves us looking for a guard. If Leary will talk, see what we can do, I don't think he will, he seems ready to move on.

Romo has to go, hopefully a trade can be reached with one of the many teams who could use a QB, if not he would be cut. This is Dak's team moving forward, no questions asked.

I want two studs on defense, one pass rusher and one DB. STUDS. I need a twelve sack guy and a shutdown corner. Go get em'. The defense played much better than expected this year, a couple really good players would go along way.

Draft, best player available.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There's still much to be decided as far as team's franchising players but if Eric Berry makes it to the market, and assuming we get rid of Romo, I'd be willing to make him the highest paid safety in the league at around 11 million a year.

If we're going to get rid of Romo, especially if we are going to cut him, we damn well better reinvest the money, although I don't think we will give out any mega-contracts. I'm guessing the most we'd hand out in a single free agent contract is about 10-12 per year, there won't be any 18-20 per year contracts given out to a DL.

If Berry doesn't make it to the market I'd go after Melvin Ingram if the Chargers are unable to keep him. It sounds like Chandler Jones will be franchised in Arizona, I'd look at Andre Branch as a mid-tier option, and JPP only if he's willing to take about 10-12 a year.

dallen

Senior Tech
Mario Addison and Nick Fairley are some mid tier pass rush guys I would look at bringing in too. We should also right the wrong we committed when we let Sterling Moore go

Newt

DCC 4Life
Are you of the opinion that Byron Jones is not the answer at the free safety spot? I am, I think he is much better served as your big man to man corner. That said, I want a shut down corner, someone that can lock down an entire half of a field.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Are you of the opinion that Byron Jones is not the answer at the free safety spot? I am, I think he is much better served as your big man to man corner. That said, I want a shut down corner, someone that can lock down an entire half of a field.
I just wish they'd decide on one position for the guy and let him play it.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I just wish they'd decide on one position for the guy and let him play it.
I think they did, I think injuries caused them to stray from it though. I don't agree with it, but that's what happened. I do think Sterling Moore should have been kept around and I would bring him back if I had the chance. With Moore gone, Claiborne and Scandrick in and out with injuries Jones kind of had to play two positions.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Fix it? Pull for the Steelers or Pats.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Fix it? Pull for the Steelers or Pats.
Pats I live in PA f*ck if I am going to listen these mouth breathers saying we got 7 for the next year

Pats and Falcons Super Bowl, would love the Falcons to win, I really don't care anymore

D

Deuce

I think Leary will be easier to resign than most people, including him. People forget his medicals are not great and his EXPLODING KNEES!!1! are deteriorating. Nobody is going to give big money to that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Leary will be easier to resign than most people, including him. People forget his medicals are not great and his EXPLODING KNEES!!1! are deteriorating. Nobody is going to give big money to that.
Guards don't usually get the biggest contracts either. Plus as good as he has been, he isn't a probowl level player. Seems like he would be easier to sign then a RT or something like that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pats I live in PA f*ck if I am going to listen these mouth breathers saying we got 7 for the next year

Pats and Falcons Super Bowl, would love the Falcons to win, I really don't care anymore
Well that's at least 1 silver lining of the Steelers win.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think I'd mostly focus on re-signing guys. There does not appear to be much worthwhile on the FA market.

Sterling Moore? No thanks.

I might try to bank cap space for once. Focus on the draft.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think I'd mostly focus on re-signing guys. There does not appear to be much worthwhile on the FA market.

Sterling Moore? No thanks.

I might try to bank cap space for once. Focus on the draft.
Yea, just re-sign Carr for relatively cheap, him, Scandrick and Brown is more than fine at CB, especially with Jones basically playing as a CB in some passing situations.

Then of course you have to re-sign either Church or Wilcox, if you can't get a guy like Berry obviously.

dallen

Senior Tech
What makes you think signing Carr is going to be cheap?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Mario Addison and Nick Fairley are some mid tier pass rush guys I would look at bringing in too. We should also right the wrong we committed when we let Sterling Moore go
You are kidding, right? :unsure

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What makes you think signing Carr is going to be cheap?
He's 31 next year and hasn't been particularly impressive in years, he also has the reputation of being a free agent bust. I doubt he could get more than 4-5 a year on the market.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am thinking that way as well, I think he has way more upside as a press DB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's 31 next year and hasn't been particularly impressive in years, he also has the reputation of being a free agent bust. I doubt he could get more than 4-5 a year on the market.
Not sure I'd pay him even that. Not at his age and mediocre play. I appreciate his durability but that's about all I appreciate.

I may let Carr go. Move Byron to corner and make a push to sign a real FS. I think Byron can move into the Carr role fairly easy. That gives you Scandrick, Brown and Jones as your corners. Just sign a fourth guy cheap somewhere. Of course if you can't get Eric Berry (Franchise tag) I'm not sure who the plan B safeties would be.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Not sure I'd pay him even that. Not at his age and mediocre play. I appreciate his durability but that's about all I appreciate.
He was a very decent starting CB for us this year, combine that with the fact that he literally never misses games and I'd give him 2 years, $10 million and not worry too much about it.

It's just one less thing to worry about in the immediate future.

Top Bottom