Sturm Decoding Linehan

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Not at all because of the outcome. As soon as they did it I yelled NO louder and longer than Vader ever did.

If time is running out you spike. If you already know you are going for it on 4th you spike. If you are deep in your own end maybe you spike.

Not there.

You don't purposely give yourself 2 downs with a minute left already practically in field goal range. With Aaron Rodgers on the sideline salivating over all the time you are leaving him.

Even if we scored a touchdown and won, it would've been despite the dumbass spike.
Again, I wouldn't have spiked it and was annoyed when they did. I'm just not going to say it was the worst decision ever. I don't have an axe to grind.

If you want something to be mad at, how about a defense allowing a 35 yard pass on 3rd and 20. What the fuck.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
This:
"But I also think they lost the plot a bit out of fear of Green Bay's quarterback. And that affected their own offensive play-calling in an adverse way."

Is why Garrett lost the game, he coached scared at the beginning. Had he stuck to what got them there, they would have obliterated the Packers. He keeps thinking he's a difference maker as a game caller, and he is, but in a negative way.

data

Forbes #1
Third time saying this in 48 hours...

...I wish, for once in a decade, we could complain that we ran the ball too much. Conversely, we complain about too many passes probably once-a-month.

If this is the case, then we wasted the #4 pick on Zeke and should've just stayed with Alf/McFadden.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

...I wish, for once in a decade, we could complain that we ran the ball too much. Conversely, we complain about too many passes probably once-a-month.

If this is the case, then we wasted the #4 pick on Zeke and should've just stayed with Alf/McFadden.
Seriously? We wasted the #4 overall pick after a 1600 yard season?

Dont be overdramatic.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There's plenty to complain about without blowing it out of proportion.

I just asked in the other thread if you were replacing Garrett right now who would you hire? Didn't get many answers.

data

Forbes #1
Seriously? We wasted the #4 overall pick after a 1600 yard season?

Dont be overdramatic.
Didn't seem like we were wasting it during regular season. However, as Sturm points out, though, we fell back to the pass in our playoff game on three separate occasions.

Hyperbole on 'waste', but 'better spent' on another WR if, when it comes down to it, we want to be a passing team.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
We could probably live with Garrett if Linehan wasn't just like him with the panic passing and inexplicable drifting away from a dominant running game. Their tendencies for running and passing are painfully obvious.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Didn't seem like we were wasting it during regular season. However, as Sturm points out, though, we fell back to the pass in our playoff game on three separate occasions.

Hyperbole on 'waste', but 'better spent' on another WR if, when it comes down to it, we want to be a passing team.
I don't think that's true either, about the WR.

We clearly do intend to be a running team.

How about the coaches didn't do a good enough job sticking with the run in this game? The rest of the conspiracy theories and baseless speculation simply aren't true.

Yes they get away from the run in critical moments "too often," as long as the definition of too often was basically this one time this season. Unfortunately it was in an elimination game. Needs to change, no question about it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I remember how Emmitt Smith and the Cowboys took down that same Green Bay squad in the 1995 NFC Championship Game. Smith had 35 carries (37 touches). Now, they were never down 21-3, but if you enter the game determined to answer every question with this O-line and running back, you never fall behind 21-3 in the first place.
Falling behind 21-3 is no excuse.

Even when we came back in the 4th quarter and had it down to a 1 score game we were still unwilling to commit to the run like we should have.

Garrett and Linehan were simply too pass happy.....as usual. I don't think I've ever seen a team go away from what's working as much as this team. It amazes me the amount of times we outsmart ourselves.

Too bad the Joneses are too loyal (stupid) to consider a coaching change. Sometimes it takes a different coach/voice to get the team over the hump.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think we were overly pass happy at all. We were down a bunch for much of the game. That's going to warrant some passing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't think we were overly pass happy at all. We were down a bunch for much of the game. That's going to warrant some passing.
As Schmitty pointed out, they got away from the run in critical moments. That's my big complaint.

Like on that INT thrown on 2nd & 1. Were were destroying them on the ground with Zeke on that drive and there was still plenty of time left in the game. Just continue to ram the ball down their throat with the run game, or if you insist on passing, run some play-action and see if you can catch them off-guard with a deep pass. That's what most teams tend to do when they choose to pass on 2nd and 1 situations. They take a shot deep because they know they have 3rd down to pick up the 1 yard.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

:lol

I realize your schtick is to throw retarded shit out to try and get a rise out of people, but at least try to be somewhat realistic.

data

Forbes #1
[MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION]...ask your boy Sturm the conversion stats on Zeke runs vs pass when 2nd/3rd & <2 to go.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
As Schmitty pointed out, they got away from the run in critical moments. That's my big complaint.

Like on that INT thrown on 2nd & 1. Were were destroying them on the ground with Zeke on that drive and there was still plenty of time left in the game. Just continue to ram the ball down their throat with the run game, or if you insist on passing, run some play-action and see if you can catch them off-guard with a deep pass. That's what most teams tend to do when they choose to pass on 2nd and 1 situations. They take a shot deep because they know they have 3rd down to pick up the 1 yard.
Yep. I couldn't believe my eyes when we had a first down on the packer 15, were moving the ball in chunks on the ground, and decided to throw three straight passes. Looked like they were trying to force it to Witten, to get him a TD. Of course, all three passes fall incomplete, and we settled for a FG. Uh... Don't we have arguably the best Oline in football, with one of the best RBs in the game?

data

Forbes #1
:lol

I realize your schtick is to throw retarded shit out to try and get a rise out of people, but at least try to be somewhat realistic.
Hey, I claimed hyperbole. Speaking of which, you've been awfully quiet the last 48 hours. What's your take on the whole thing?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Falling behind 21-3 is no excuse.

Even when we came back in the 4th quarter and had it down to a 1 score game we were still unwilling to commit to the run like we should have.

Garrett and Linehan were simply too pass happy.....as usual. I don't think I've ever seen a team go away from what's working as much as this team. It amazes me the amount of times we outsmart ourselves.

Too bad the Joneses are too loyal (stupid) to consider a coaching change. Sometimes it takes a different coach/voice to get the team over the hump.
Garrett has been at the helm long enough for that shit not to happen.

The D is the biggest reason for the L, but I do believe there was a ton of momentum lost by throwing 3 straight passes when a run most likely gets a first down.

Same thing at the end of the game..a run most likely gets you the first down, and then you have plenty of time to take a couple shots into the end zone and if its not there, you still have the FG try.

Not the best coaching, but if the D does it job we aren't in that situation anyway.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
What's your take on the whole thing?
1st half, bad. 2nd half, good. Spike ball, bad. Aaron Rodgers, good. No holding call, bad. Pass defense, bad. FG good.

Fuck.

Top Bottom