2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know how true this is for his situation but I was told in two instances where I had nerve damage that typically if things aren't better over time your chances go down significantly for a full recovery. I was told that when you hit the 6 and 9 month mark and I things aren't better the chances start dropping. After a year you pretty much are where you are going to be. I don't know how true this is but it has been for me.
Frankly if the nerve is just asleep like we were told I'm not really sure why it needs to regenerate but back months ago it was reported that it was regenerating.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The focus now for Smith is to improve his motor function, with his body needing to catch up to his nerve starting to fire so that it works in near unison. Right now, Smith's reaction is behind his nerve.

This is the most recent report of progress I believe.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You're behind. It's regenerated and firing by all reports.
Maybe I am behind. I was relating what has to happen. I know the nerve is firing I just don't know the percentage of effectiveness it is able to deliver and how much the nerve is transmitting. When I hear those factors then I will know how much the recovery will be.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The focus now for Smith is to improve his motor function, with his body needing to catch up to his nerve starting to fire so that it works in near unison. Right now, Smith's reaction is behind his nerve.

This is the most recent report of progress I believe.
That's precisely what I am saying. The effectiveness of the delivery to the brain is critical for a complete rehab.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yes the nerve is firing but that in itself isn't the whole story. Hopefully there was nerve regeneration created that has a full neruo path to his brain.
The neruo path needed is to the calf muscle, the brain has little to do with it.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Frankly if the nerve is just asleep like we were told I'm not really sure why it needs to regenerate but back months ago it was reported that it was regenerating.
It was more than asleep there was major stretch and I am almost certain they had to do some surgery which is why growth was important.

I know for certain they kept track of growth that was reported during camp

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The neruo path needed is to the calf muscle, the brain has little to do with it.
The brain is critical to this problem. What is the basis for your assessmen that it is out of the loop?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Guys, medical training or not, we can't know enough to make any realistic determination neither from a few random articles nor from posts by the athlete himself.

All I know is it's a badly torn ACL + MCL + impacted recovery because of severe nerve damage, the guy's drills look very limited, and whatever his recovery time the guy is still a rookie.

Myles Jack, who was seen as a comparable talent to Smith dropped this stat line in his rookie year:

24 combined tackles, .5 sacks, 2 passes defended, and one stuff in 16 games.

Expecting a pro-bowl year in 2017 doesn't make sense.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The brain is critical to this problem. What is the basis for your assessmen that it is out of the loop?
Did not say it was out of the loop.

The major hurdle that is left is for the perennial nerve to start firing the calf muscle, which controls the lifting of the foot, that is the malfunction.

There is not a question of brain connection, the question is will that nerve start activating the calf muscle, the fault fromwhat I have read is with the nerve, its more basic wiring than problems with the mother board.

Yes the brain is part of the equation but that is not where the malfunction is occurring.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Guys, medical training or not, we can't know enough to make any realistic determination neither from a few random articles nor from posts by the athlete himself.

All I know is it's a badly torn ACL + MCL + impacted recovery because of severe nerve damage, the guy's drills look very limited, and whatever his recovery time the guy is still a rookie.

Myles Jack, who was seen as a comparable talent to Smith dropped this stat line in his rookie year:

24 combined tackles, .5 sacks, 2 passes defended, and one stuff in 16 games.

Expecting a pro-bowl year in 2017 doesn't make sense.
How is cutting around cones at near full speed very limited?

And who the hell said they were expecting a pro bowl year in 2017?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Did not say it was out of the loop.

The major hurdle that is left is for the perennial nerve to start firing the calf muscle, which controls the lifting of the foot, that is the malfunction.

There is not a question of brain connection, the question is will that nerve start activating the calf muscle, the fault fromwhat I have read is with the nerve, its more basic wiring than problems with the mother board.

Yes the brain is part of the equation but that is not where the malfunction is occurring.
But the brain has to tell the calf muscle to react within the parameters of the signal it receives.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How is cutting around cones at near full speed very limited?

And who the hell said they were expecting a pro bowl year in 2017?
He lifting and planting his feet and not pushing off side to side. You can see it in all his drills.

And people are definitely acting like they're counting on him. Only you mentioned the pro bowl.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He lifting and planting his feet and not pushing off side to side. You can see it in all his drills.
You realize the nerve has nothing to do with his ability to push off side to side? Unless you think tue brace is somehow preventing this.

Jiggyfly

Banned

And people are definitely acting like they're counting on him. Only you mentioned the pro bowl.
You must have missed him running around the bags because he was definitely pushing off side to side.

Jiggyfly

Banned
But the brain has to tell the calf muscle to react within the parameters of the signal it receives.
And so far there have been no issue with the brain its been with the nerve firing the calf muscle.

Meaning the connection is not there.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And so far there have been no issue with the brain its been with the nerve firing the calf muscle.

Meaning the connection is not there.
You have to have a full circuit path including a path to the brain for the recovery to be successful. Obviously no one has the full story yet but when I hear that the nerve is firing on a complete path and how much is being transmitted then we will all know whether a full rehab is possible..

Jiggyfly

Banned
You have to have a full circuit path including a path to the brain for the recovery to be successful. Obviously no one has the full story yet but when I hear that the nerve is firing on a complete path and how much is being transmitted then we will all know whether a full rehab is possible..
Ok.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Pretty damn cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom