Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if he is a clean-up guy, you need that from the DL as well with all these non-statue QBs. Cousins probably could’ve run for a ten-yard gain but Irving prevented that. Rodgers killed us on the final drive with his 1st down scramble.....now we have Alex Smith in town.
Yeah no question Irving is a massive help on the D-line. Crazy to think, right now we are on pace for 2 double digit sack guys. And one of them missed 4 games this season in doing so and the other guy already has double digit sacks.

How long have we all been badly waiting for a guy who can top 10 sacks here?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah no question Irving is a massive help on the D-line. Crazy to think, right now we are on pace for 2 double digit sack guys. And one of them missed 4 games this season in doing so and the other guy already has double digit sacks.

How long have we all been badly waiting for a guy who can top 10 sacks here?
The crazy thing is, this sort of pressure should have gone a long way towards fixing the defense.

And yet...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The crazy thing is, this sort of pressure should have gone a long way towards fixing the defense.

And yet...
We have holes in the secondary that we haven't made an attempt to address.

We let go of Church and Wilcox because we felt they were mediocre.....and they were. But the thought process behind doing something like that is planning on putting something better out on the field.

What did we do? We threw out even worse players in their place -- Kevon Frazier and Jeff Heath.

When you couple that with young and inexperienced CBs, you have the makings of a secondary who can't hold their own when they face a quality passing attack.

Hopefully the CBs get better as the season moves on, but the safety issues will be a problem for the remainder of the season.

And then there's the linebackers. Lee is Lee, but Hitchens is a JAG and Smith has been a liability.

So while we finally have a pass rush, we forgot that other areas of the defense have to at least be decent, not total shit.

midswat

... soon
Are both Irving and Lawrence both free agents after this year?

midswat

... soon
Irving is RFA and Lawrence UFA
That could get expensive.

With Lawrence.... I don't know what you'd do. Four years, but only one year - contract year - doing anything. Thing is, he's playing like Reggie White out there. So do you pay him what his agent will ask for and risk him returning to a 8 year at best guy? Or do you let him move on? Shit

Irving shouldn't be that bad, unless his agent refuses to sign the tender. Thing'll be tricky. Good thing is we have two more years of Dak on his rookie year so we should be able to handle it.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

With Lawrence.... I don't know what you'd do. Four years, but only one year - contract year - doing anything. Thing is, he's playing like Reggie White out there. So do you pay him what his agent will ask for and risk him returning to a 8 year at best guy? Or do you let him move on? Shit

Irving shouldn't be that bad, unless his agent refuses to sign the tender. Thing'll be tricky. Good thing is we have two more years of Dak on his rookie year so we should be able to handle it.
Please. We're gonna pay him. Get ready for a lot of "If we let him go, we create an unnecessary hole on an already weak line and have to start all over again!"

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

That's not really true at all. He had an 8 sack year his second year in the league. And most of use remember the end of his rookie season when he actually started to look dominant registering 2 sacks in the playoffs.

Lawrence has always had the talent. The bigger problem with him is he has a suspension for performance enhancers in his past and he has back issues from last season. Those two things scare me a bit. But you can't let a 10+ sack a year talent walk out the door after you finally developed one. So you either franchise him and make him prove it for another season or you pay the man. Either way, no way he walks out the door. It takes time to develop pass rushers and you finally did.

And Irving is real simple, give him the first and third round tender. He can try holding out but ultimately he will give in by the time the season starts. Although I may try and tempt him with a long term deal at a discounted price. Most guys prefer that as opposed to playing real cheap for one more season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's not really true at all. He had an 8 sack year his second year in the league. And most of use remember the end of his rookie season when he actually started to look dominant registering 2 sacks in the playoffs.

Lawrence has always had the talent. The bigger problem with him is he has a suspension for performance enhancers in his past and he has back issues from last season. Those two things scare me a bit. But you can't let a 10+ sack a year talent walk out the door after you finally developed one. So you either franchise him and make him prove it for another season or you pay the man. Either way, no way he walks out the door. It takes time to develop pass rushers and you finally did.

And Irving is real simple, give him the first and third round tender. He can try holding out but ultimately he will give in by the time the season starts. Although I may try and tempt him with a long term deal at a discounted price. Most guys prefer that as opposed to playing real cheap for one more season.
We can even franchise him two years in a row if we really want to make him prove it.

midswat

... soon
I don't know what the franchise tag for a DE would be. I think I heard on the radio that if the 9'ers franchised Grapalapoponomous after this year, they'd pay him like 27 million. I know DE's wouldn't cost as much, but I would speculate they'd be maybe the 2nd highest franchise tag amount, so likely something in the 15+ million or so. That's a hefty price for a one year rental, and would come close to eating almost all of our cap space, right? I don't know what our cap situation is next year.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't know what the franchise tag for a DE would be. I think I heard on the radio that if the 9'ers franchised Grapalapoponomous after this year, they'd pay him like 27 million. I know DE's wouldn't cost as much, but I would speculate they'd be maybe the 2nd highest franchise tag amount, so likely something in the 15+ million or so. That's a hefty price for a one year rental, and would come close to eating almost all of our cap space, right? I don't know what our cap situation is next year.
This past offseason the number for DEs was just under 17 million. I thought I read somewhere where it was going to be 18 this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This past offseason the number for DEs was just under 17 million. I thought I read somewhere where it was going to be 18 this year.
Yeah and we have about 10 mil in cap room for the current season that if we don't spend will be tacked onto next year's cap room.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We have holes in the secondary that we haven't made an attempt to address.

We threw out even worse players in their place -- Kevon Frazier and Jeff Heath.
It appears that Byron is capable though unspectacular, while Woods is doing good things learning under fire. I think
that once Chido gets healthy, he's viewed as more of a safety as well.

And then there's the linebackers. Lee is Lee, but Hitchens is a JAG and Smith has been a liability.
I grade Hitchens as better than a JAG, and it appears that Smith has benefitted from Lee and Hitchens combined return. His limited play has been far better than the every down total butt rape exposure. We just have zero depth at LB right now. I think these sacks and the increased QB pressure will also translate into better secondary play, ala the Byron pick six.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It appears that Byron is capable though unspectacular, while Woods is doing good things learning under fire. I think
that once Chido gets healthy, he's viewed as more of a safety as well.

Jones doesn't possess any traits to be a quality safety.

His strengths are pretty much all in man coverage, which would make him better suited to be a CB.....which should come as no surprise since that's what he was in college.

He sucks in zone and can't tackle worth a damn, so he really shouldn't be playing safety anymore.

As for Woods, I like what he's doing too, but it's way too early to consider him the solution at the position. Unless something drastically changes between now and the end of the season, I'd be looking to bring in 2 safeties, not just 1.

As for Chido, I think what you're saying there is EXACTLY why we can't solve this safety problem. I don't want him playing safety. He was a really good CB in college and we need him to be a good CB for us in the NFL too.

We need to stop with this nonsense of trying to convert multiple players into various positions, especially at safety.

It's not working with Jones and it's not likely to work with Chido either. Here's an idea -- how about we actually draft a REAL safety in the early rounds and maybe we might actually solve this problem for once?

I know it sounds crazy to ask an actual safety to play that same role for us, but it's just a thought.

I grade Hitchens as better than a JAG, and it appears that Smith has benefitted from Lee and Hitchens combined return. His limited play has been far better than the every down total butt rape exposure. We just have zero depth at LB right now. I think these sacks and the increased QB pressure will also translate into better secondary play, ala the Byron pick six.
Hitches is nothing more than a JAG.

Name the last time the guy made a huge play that helped seal a win or swung the momentum in our favor in a decisive game.

He is the definition of a JAG. Not terrible, but not good either. He's just there.

You can find a bunch of guys to just be there.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Detroit in the playoffs. What do I win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom