Staff member

RE: Awuzie

BipolarFuk

Demoted

RE: Awuzie
Cheeto

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wonder if this will finally break the drafted CB playmaking drought. The Cowboys could never draft a playmaker at that position. Even Pup was more of a cover guy than playmaker. Everson Walls was undrafted.

data

Forbes #1
Wonder if this will finally break the drafted CB playmaking drought. The Cowboys could never draft a playmaker at that position. Even Pup was more of a cover guy than playmaker. Everson Walls was undrafted.
Derek Ross was a playmaker.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Derek Ross was a playmaker.
Yes he was.

Some of those picks at that time get forgotten about or are incorrectly viewed as bad because those players didn't workout long term, but from purely a talent standpoint, a number of those could play.

2002 should've been an all-timer of a draft for the franchise.

Gurode was one of the better lineman in the league for his career, Roy Williams should have been along with Ed Reed the two best safeties of their generation, and if Ross and Antonio Bryant were more mature, they would have been two of the best at their positions in the league and could've been very productive players for us for 7 or 8 years.

But Williams didn't have the desire, Ross was too much of a thug, and Bryant was an immature dummy.

But from merely a talent standpoint, the Cowboys hit on all of those guys.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
Yes he was.

Some of those picks at that time get forgotten about or are incorrectly viewed as bad because those players didn't workout long term, but from purely a talent standpoint, a number of those could play.

2002 should've been an all-timer of a draft for the franchise.

Gurode was one of the better lineman in the league for his career, Roy Williams should have been along with Ed Reed the two best safeties of their generation, and if Ross and Antonio Bryant were more mature, they would have been two of the best at their positions in the league and could've been very productive players for us for 7 or 8 years.

But Williams didn't have the desire, Ross was too much of a thug, and Bryant was an immature dummy.

But from merely a talent standpoint, the Cowboys hit on all of those guys.
Caveat. AB supplied an all time classic meme from Schmidtty featuring Quinthy.

dallen

Senior Tech
2002 was an all-timer for about 2 years. :lol It really looked like we'd hit a home run at first.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

I'm surprised by this. I suppose Byron Jones and Wilcox did okay last year.

dallen

Senior Tech
That's weird because I've been told repeatedly that the only reason Elliot had any success was because of our offensive line

Cotton

Staff member
That's weird because I've been told repeatedly that the only reason Elliot had any success was because of our offensive line
They help, obviously, but the whole "any RB could do what Zeke did with that line" nonsense needs to go.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does that mean Ajayi is better? Because he had nearly as many with far fewer carries.

Cotton

Staff member
Does that mean Ajayi is better? Because he had nearly as many with far fewer carries.
I really wanted Ajayi, so don't you go bringing those mixed emotions up in here.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really wanted Ajayi, so don't you go bringing those mixed emotions up in here.
:lol

It wasn't really being serious. The problem with yards after contact stats is that the definition of contact can be really subjective. Plus Elliott led the NFL in attempts by a decent margin so his yards should be up there with the league leaders.

I don't really care how we get there but if we can get 1,600 yards and 5.1 ypc out of our lead back every year? Then I am thrilled. I don't really care if it is Elliott, the O-line or some combination of the two. It's what happens when you put an excellent RB behind an excellent O-line. The only place this shit matters is on some fictional top 100 players in the NFL list.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I'm surprised by this. I suppose Byron Jones and Wilcox did okay last year.
We were actually very very good for most of the season in this regard.

Before all the injuries started piling up, Marinelli or someone else on the staff came up with a system to prevent big shots. While each individual guy was a JAG sans Byron Jones, they found something in that dime formation that had Church, Wilcox, and Jones on the field together. Each guy had a specific role to play and it worked very well.

There were even some with Heath in with those 3 as well.

Once they started getting hurt, we started seeing more holes in the pass defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom