2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I like an idea that Clarence Hill floated on Twitter.

The Browns released Josh McCown today and Hill suggested that McCown could be a backup option in Dallas.

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I like an idea that Clarence Hill floated on Twitter.

The Browns released Josh McCown today and Hill suggested that McCown could be a backup option in Dallas.

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.
I agree. He should come cheap and is a decent option as a backup. Just don't let him talk to or mentor Dak.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I agree. He should come cheap and is a decent option as a backup. Just don't let him talk to or mentor Dak.
I wouldn't worry about that. Most great coaches were marginal players. They have the knowledge but not the talent.

And on the flip side, very rarely do you see great players transition to great coaching careers.

So a guy like McCown's input is just as valuable as a decorated guy like Peyton Manning, IMO.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't worry about that. Most great coaches were marginal players. They have the knowledge but not the talent.

And on the flip side, very rarely do you see great players transition to great coaching careers.

So a guy like McCown's input is just as valuable as a decorated guy like Peyton Manning, IMO.
Manning and Brady would be the ones I'd leave out of that example, both amazing students of the game.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Manning and Brady would be the ones I'd leave out of that example, both amazing students of the game.
I stick by my statement. There have been all-time greats in just about every sport who have tried their hand at coaching and ended up failing.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Just how are they both amazing students of the game? Because they're good? If that's the only criteria, was Lawrence Taylor an amazing student of the game? How about Randy Moss?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Just how are they both amazing students of the game? Because they're good? If that's the only criteria, was Lawrence Taylor an amazing student of the game? How about Randy Moss?
Because they have dominated not because of their physical amazingly superior talent like a Moss or LT, but mainly (though not only) because of their almost total control of the mental aspect.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because they have dominated not because of their physical amazingly superior talent like a Moss or LT, but mainly (though not only) because of their almost total control of the mental aspect.
Think how many minds in this world are probably just as sharp if not sharper. They just didn't have the physical talent to compliment it. Those people would make even better coaches.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That TOTALLY sounds like they are amazing students of the game. Consider me convinced.

dallen

Senior Tech
Brady is no doubt a great student. That doesn't mean he would be a great coach though. A lot of times it is the guys that had to struggle to understand things that end up being the best at explaining them to others.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brady is no doubt a great student. That doesn't mean he would be a great coach though. A lot of times it is the guys that had to struggle to understand things that end up being the best at explaining them to others.
This is totally true. The smartest people don't always make the best teachers. Think about someone who is brilliant in math. It comes to them so easily that they can solve things without writing them down or showing work. That doesn't make them a great math teacher though. Because other's aren't capable of that sort of stuff. Most students have to show their work and think things out.

It's no different for a Tom Brady. He has a brilliant QB mind no doubt. He processes information on the field at a lightening speed. But that doesn't necessarily mean he would be able to teach and coach players to do the same.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
No one knows how any of these guys would be as coaches, but if I had to bet on one I'd rather bet on Peyton or Brady than a Favre, George, McCown or any other QB from the era.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is totally true. The smartest people don't always make the best teachers. Think about someone who is brilliant in math. It comes to them so easily that they can solve things without writing them down or showing work. That doesn't make them a great math teacher though. Because other's aren't capable of that sort of stuff. Most students have to show their work and think things out.

It's no different for a Tom Brady. He has a brilliant QB mind no doubt. He processes information on the field at a lightening speed. But that doesn't necessarily mean he would be able to teach and coach players to do the same.
I think a guy who understands the game as completely and is as competitive as Brady would be an awesome coach. He made it work in spite of underwhelming physical attributes and arm.

It's the gifted gunslingers like Favre who I think would make awful coaches.

townsend

Banned
I think a guy who understands the game as completely and is as competitive as Brady would be an awesome coach. He made it work in spite of underwhelming physical attributes and arm.

It's the gifted gunslingers like Favre who I think would make awful coaches.
I think it's silly to say that Brady's physical attributes were underwhelming. He's never had trouble throwing downfield.

He's just a guy, like Dak, that all of the NFL failed to properly evaluate. Because they get caught up in a bunch of BS that doesn't matter.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I think it's silly to say that Brady's physical attributes were underwhelming. He's never had trouble throwing downfield.

He's just a guy, like Dak, that all of the NFL failed to properly evaluate. Because they get caught up in a bunch of BS that doesn't matter.
You mean like long jump distances?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You mean like long jump distances?

To be fair nothing looked athletic about him back then. But with QBs it's mostly mental and their arm (Accuracy, throwing power and touch all combined). And I don't mean intelligence, I mean instincts and ability to process things under fire quickly.

1bigfan13

Staff member

To be fair nothing looked athletic about him back then. But with QBs it's mostly mental and their arm (Accuracy, throwing power and touch all combined). And I don't mean intelligence, I mean instincts and ability to process things under fire quickly.
I was just taking a not so thinly veiled shot at the Cowboys elevating Byron Jones due to his leaping ability.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just taking a not so thinly veiled shot at the Cowboys elevating Byron Jones due to his leaping ability.
I know but it made me think about how much we all would have made fun of Brady back then if we watched the combine.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
It's so he can jump all get all those interceptions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom