MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Frazier trade was horrid...this trade is not much better.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Kazmir to the Dodgers

3/48

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Tim Raines just missed, damn it. Was looking like he might get in this year. Really hope he makes it in his last shot next year. He is very close. I think he has great chance because more and more of the BBWA are coming around on some of the newer metrics and realize exactly how valuable of a player Raines was.

D

Deuce

Tim Raines just missed, damn it. Was looking like he might get in this year. Really hope he makes it in his last shot next year. He is very close. I think he has great chance because more and more of the BBWA are coming around on some of the newer metrics and realize exactly how valuable of a player Raines was.
Even by old standards, he was a phenominal player. I just don't get it.

arcticdiesel

Piazza in the HOF!
My two favorite players I grew up with made it this year- him and Griffey Jr.

I guess I missed the steroid allegations with Piazza. I know his knees went out the back end up his career, really fell off. If he was linked to ped's, probably opens the door to some others to get in.

I hated seeing Griifey struggle with all the injuries, pretty much from the time he left Seattle. Still the sweetest swing I have seen, and a monster in Center.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I wasn't a huge Piazza fan per se, but he was one of the best hitters of his time and the best offensive catcher of all time. I think there is plenty of reason for suspicion of PED use but I am not one to deny all the PED players entry into the Hall, especially since it is only speculation in Piazza's case. He was playing in the middle of the "Steroid Era" anyway when the majority of the league was apparently using so whatever. If he did use he was doing it in a time that it was the norm.

Side note: the only ball I ever got at an MLB game was a Mike Piazza HR. Granted, it was only in pre-game batting practice (1995 in the Wrigley Field bleachers when he was with the Dodgers) but it was still kind of a cool moment for me.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
Griffey's swing could have been elected to the HOF by itself. I didn't really follow the NL very well in the 90's so I wasn't as familiar with Piazza, but he and Pudge were 1 and 2 in the best catchers of their generation. The only real argument should be what order they are in.

Carp

DCC 4Life

I still get chills when I watch this...it was just amazing.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think things are setting up where the Mets might be able to bring back Cespedes on a 1-3 year deal. I think he thought he would have multiple offers, but now it looks like it is down to the Mets, White Sox, and possibly Det.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So Cubs co-owner Ricketts is takings shots at Mets fans and his wife singled out Matt Harvey. Apparently if you cheer for your team you are obnoxious. Meanwhile, the lovable losers that are the Cubs can do no wrong. Sorry we swept you fags.

Rev

Staff member
I think things are setting up where the Mets might be able to bring back Cespedes on a 1-3 year deal. I think he thought he would have multiple offers, but now it looks like it is down to the Mets, White Sox, and possibly Det.
I hope you sign him just to keep him out of the AL. A few games every few years is better than multiple games each year as he is a major thorn in the Rangers side.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Rev

Staff member
No.

Rev

Staff member
I hope Yu isn't close to his brother.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If Astros sign Cespedes, could Mets deal for Springer?
By A-Wil  @A_Wil9 on Jan 19, 2016, 2:02p 15

Editors note: This is 100% idle speculation from our Fanposts section and should be treated as such. We welcome rosterbatorical fantasies and recognize half the rumors game is imagining what-if scenarios for your own team -- which is what this is. If you'd like to write your own, you can do so here.

Houston has, somewhat surprisingly, been connected to prized slugger Yoenis Cespedes in recent days. Should such a signing occur, what happens next? The 'Stros would have an abundance of OF's - including Cespedes, Carlos Gomez, George Springer, Evan Gattis, Colby Rasmus, Jake Marisnick and Preston Tucker - from which they can parlay into a talented starting pitcher. The rotation is solid, but lacks elite arms beyond Dallas Keuchel and the still-unproven Lance McCullers. From a purely objective standpoint, it looks a bit light for a serious championship contender, which Houston is close to becoming. So, what can be done?

If Cespedes does in fact land in Houston, look for GM Jeff Luhnow to look to deal from his OF surplus. Springer, 26, stands out to me as a particularly attractive asset, given his youth, affordable team control through 2020, and upside. Don't think this elite athlete can't play everyday in CF, which he did throughout the minors and in a handful of games for Houston over the past two seasons. There were rumblings earlier this offseason that Luhnow would be willing to move Springer in the right deal, including a report from the Houston Chronicle's Evan Drellich that Springer could be dealt "if the haul is big enough."

A host of franchises would love to entertain the idea of bringing a guy like Springer in, but the New York Mets stand out as a fantastic match. GM Sandy Alderson has been hesitant to spend big this offseason, but everybody and their mother knows the departure of Cespedes creates a glaring hole in CF and the middle of the order. Springer would represent the ideal replacement, given his immense offensive ability and upside, athleticism, and low financial cost. Moreover, Alderson has the pitching talent to entice the Astros and the depth to pull the trigger.

Zack Wheeler would make a lot of sense. The 25-year-old has Springer-like upside with affordable team control through 2019, has already proven he can pitch well at the big league level, and wouldn't break up the Mets "Big Four" in the rotation. Yes, Wheeler missed all of 2015 due to Tommy John surgery, but he should be ready to go for the start of the 2016 campaign, and these days, it seems a history of TJ doesn't do much to hurt a pitcher's performance.

So why not Springer for Wheeler and a mid-level prospect?

Of course, if Cespedes doesn't sign with Houston, this is a moot point - I wouldn't see Luhnow taking away a valuable piece of his offense. But if Cespedes does, then Alderson and Luhnow should at least connect and explore such a mutually beneficial deal.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I would hate that deal for the record but I could see Springer being dangled for one of the other guys.

Top Bottom