2015 Week 17 Gameday Chatter | Redskins at Cowboys | 1/3/2016

data

Forbes #1
You guys argue like it matters who our head coach is.

shane

DCC 4Life
Massive over generalization. Sort of like saying a lot of people hated Sean Payton in Dallas.
Zimmer was viewed in a much worse light than Payton, and it wasn't even close. He was pretty bad as coordinator in Dallas. I am shocked he's come such a long way since then.

I think it's fair to say he wasn't a fit for this team while Parcells was here. I think it's also fair to say he's had a lot of growth professionally from when he left the team in 2006. He might have been a better HC than Wade Phillips. But we passed on Ron Rivera too, so being good for the job doesn't have much to do with getting this job.
It says something that Parcells kept Zimmer around as a holdover from the Gailey/Campo years. He must have saw something in him.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I wanted Zimmer gone. Initially he was OK when we ran the 4-3 but once we went to the 3-4 it made sense to go with a 3-4 DC who knew how to run it rather than have Zimmer learn on the job. I didn't regret the decision after he left and was with the Bengals either. Of course their lack of success probably had more to do with them being the Bengals and being non-clutch in the playoffs and prime time. Some teams are like that. Always thought the Bengals and Chargers were the AFC version of the Cowboys over the last 20 years. They could put up some big numbers during the season but can't get it done in do or die games and the playoffs.

Zim is definitely a better HC than I thought he'd be. It's also interesting how much he likes Newman, bringing him to Cincy and now to the Vikings. TNew has made a long career for himself. He never lived up to his top 5 draft pick status but has been serviceable for a long time. As for Zimmer, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out over the next few years, if they take the next step or just be one of those borderline playoff teams with early exits.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zimmer was viewed in a much worse light than Payton, and it wasn't even close. He was pretty bad as coordinator in Dallas. I am shocked he's come such a long way since then.

It says something that Parcells kept Zimmer around as a holdover from the Gailey/Campo years. He must have saw something in him.
I always liked Zimmer. The guy was just a poor fit for Parcells 3-4 defense. I don't remember him being hated like Schmitty put it. I remember a lot of people just wanting a defensive coordinator who was actually familiar with running Parcells system. It's hard to have a defensive coordinator teaching a defense that he is basically learning himself at the very same time. That has never made him a bad coach though.

And what he is doing with the Vikes is pretty impressive. He is winning with a bus drive at QB which is extremely difficult to do in the NFL.

dallen

Senior Tech
I always liked Zimmer. The guy was just a poor fit for Parcells 3-4 defense. I don't remember him being hated like Schmitty put it. I remember a lot of people just wanting a defensive coordinator who was actually familiar with running Parcells system. It's hard to have a defensive coordinator teaching a defense that he is basically learning himself at the very same time. That has never made him a bad coach though.

And what he is doing with the Vikes is pretty impressive. He is winning with a bus drive at QB which is extremely difficult to do in the NFL.
I remember people hating him when Campo was the HC. Once Parcells got here and put in the 3-4 it was more people wondering why Parcells kept him with some people saying it was because Jerry made Tuna keep him - which always seemed implausible to me. Parcells clearly thought he saw something in - not incorrectly either, apparently - and felt like he was a good enough coach to the point where Parcells could help him with any details of the 3-4 he needed to learn. I respected him, but it is still one of the odder choices Tuna made. FJ worked in mysterious ways

Top Bottom