2017 Draft Chatter Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He can play the 1 and be dominant and a rich man's Irv and Crawford is an issue why, I think at worst he could be an ideal 1 in Marinelli's scemes and a above average LDE with a little more polish.

He has never had the chance to totally learn 1 position I just think there is some huge untapped potential.

Calais Campbell type.
Yeah, he still looked a little slow off the snap in the video to me. Granted I don't think it was a quickness thing. It looked more like poor snap anticipation.

He did look really powerful though which is something you don't expect from a guy with his body type. If his work ethic was great I'd have no problem considering him at 28. Of course if his work ethic was great I'm not sure he would be available at 28.

No question the guy has sky high potential though. The video didn't change my opinion that never took games over though. Very few impact plays. It's just hard for me to ignore that. Even if the guy in the video makes the excuse that everyone else was so bad that it held him back.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, he still looked a little slow off the snap in the video to me. Granted I don't think it was a quickness thing. It looked more like poor snap anticipation.

He did look really powerful though which is something you don't expect from a guy with his body type. If his work ethic was great I'd have no problem considering him at 28. Of course if his work ethic was great I'm not sure he would be available at 28.

No question the guy has sky high potential though. The video didn't change my opinion that never took games over though. Very few impact plays. It's just hard for me to ignore that. Even if the guy in the video makes the excuse that everyone else was so bad that it held him back.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I have little interest in a player that admits to being hard to coach. That, along with it being reported by multiple teams that he was the worst interview at the combine would take him off my board for the first couple rounds. If he's still there in the 3rd, I'd consider him. If he's not? Oh well. He's not some transcendent talent, making it worth risking a 1st or 2nd round pick on a headcase.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I have little interest in a player that admits to being hard to coach. That, along with it being reported by multiple teams that he was the worst interview at the combine would take him off my board for the first couple rounds. If he's still there in the 3rd, I'd consider him. If he's not? Oh well. He's not some transcendent talent, making it worth risking a 1st or 2nd round pick on a headcase.
He is physically a transcendent talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would take Barnett over McDowell but on that video, he only seems to beat his man by getting the edge don't see him doing a lot of that at the next level.
For a guy who supposedly lacks athletic ability he gets the edge more than any other DE in this draft class outside of Myles Garrett.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
McDowell has obvious raw physical talent but his technique is really inconsistent, especially against the run where he has a tendency to get too high, and he's apparently a basket case off the field with questionable work ethic/desire.

If he was a better fit in our scheme I'd definitely have to think hard about him at 28, but given the fact that you kind of have to shoehorn him in to a position I wouldn't invest that high of a pick in him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
McDowell has obvious raw physical talent but his technique is really inconsistent, especially against the run where he has a tendency to get too high, and he's apparently a basket case off the field with questionable work ethic/desire.

If he was a better fit in our scheme I'd definitely have to think hard about him at 28, but given the fact that you kind of have to shoehorn him in to a position I wouldn't invest that high of a pick in him.
I don't think you have to shoehorn him.

He would be a difference maker at positions on this defense, 1, 3, or LDE.

He turns 21 in June and has not had the chance to concentrate on any position.

As for being a basket case off the field,outside of his interviews at the combine I don't see a lot of there, there.

This about sums it up IMO.
Scouting hot take: “The cautionary tale is [Houston Texans pass rusher Jadeveon] Clowney. You see him now, he’s dominant; we had those same questions [for McDowell] when he came out. Does he love football? Is he going to work? With [McDowell], I can’t figure out what makes this kid tick. He might be the type who, maybe he falls [in the draft] and it lights a fire under him. I don’t know. But I need that light on more often, and he didn’t like it when we asked him about that.” — AFC scouting director at the combine
We are talking about the 28th pick not a top 10 and its not like he does not have any tape showing production.

Just look at that ND game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think you have to shoehorn him.

He would be a difference maker at positions on this defense, 1, 3, or LDE.

He turns 21 in June and has not had the chance to concentrate on any position.

As for being a basket case off the field,outside of his interviews at the combine I don't see a lot of there, there.

This about sums it up IMO.

We are talking about the 28th pick not a top 10 and its not like he does not have any tape showing production.

Just look at that ND game.
I already watched the Notre Dame video, also the Indiana, BYU, and Wisconsin videos. Despite the 1.5 sacks he really does have outstanding raw physical talent, I saw him bend the edge against Ramczyk one time from Wisconsin, and he stood up at times too. With that said, he's also very raw as far as pass-rush technique and despite the flash plays he makes against the run, he gets plays too high with poor leverage and gets rooted out of his gap.

What it really comes down to for me is the character/off field issues. If he was clean off the field I'd be willing to overlook the fact that he is not really an ideal 4-3 fit, but when you take into account the off field stuff it's just too much risk for me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol @ arguing the virtues of McDowell. Has my vote for biggest buyer beware prospect around.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I already watched the Notre Dame video, also the Indiana, BYU, and Wisconsin videos. Despite the 1.5 sacks he really does have outstanding raw physical talent, I saw him bend the edge against Ramczyk one time from Wisconsin, and he stood up at times too. With that said, he's also very raw as far as pass-rush technique and despite the flash plays he makes against the run, he gets plays too high with poor leverage and gets rooted out of his gap.

What it really comes down to for me is the character/off field issues. If he was clean off the field I'd be willing to overlook the fact that he is not really an ideal 4-3 fit, but when you take into account the off field stuff it's just too much risk for me.
All valid points.

Except for the off field stuff he is not a character risk as far as getting into any trouble.

He sounds a lot like Hankins coming out but with a much higher ceiling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

Oh CBS Sports named him a second teamer. :lol Second team All Big Ten that year by the way.

Even if you take CBS Sports rankings as a standard (They aren't) he was a Second Teamer. Do you still consider them to be All Americans?
I don't take any of them as standard, but let's not act like he was named All American by the podunk news.

And back to the original point He has dominant games on video just look at the Indiana game.

Top Bottom