2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Why National Review is attacking Donald Trump
Updated by Jeff Stein on January 22, 2016, 1:50 p.m. ET

National Review published more than 20 essays from conservative writers on Friday arguing that the Republican Party should not nominate Donald Trump for president.

The columns all reach the same conclusion, but the reasoning behind them varies considerably from piece to piece.

Understanding why the country’s leading conservative thinkers are taking a stand against Trumpism has far-reaching consequences — not only for this election but also for the long-term trajectory of conservative thought.

We read through the issue, and the accusations against Trump can be more or less boiled down — in no particular order — to the following five crimes against conservatism.

Case 1: Donald Trump supported liberal policies, Barack Obama, other Democrats

In 14 words: Trump is on record as having supported a wide array of policies conservatives detest.

Some of the main issues on which the writers say Trump is not trustworthy:
abortion, defense spending, tariffs, and health care. As part of this argument, many of the writers also point to Trump’s donations to Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, and Nancy Pelosi.

Who is making this case most strongly:
Glenn Beck, L. Brent Bozell III, Erick Erickson, Dana Loesch, and Katie Pavlich.

The most convincing line making this case: "Conservatives have a serious decision. Do we truly believe in our long-held principles and insist that politicians have records demonstrating fealty to them? Or are we willing to throw these principles away because an entertainer who has been a liberal Democrat for decades simply says some of the right things?" —Katie Pavlich, editor of Townhall

Case 2: Trump believes in an authoritarianism fundamentally at odds with conservatism

In 29 words: Trump promises to concentrate power further in the hands of the presidency — a rejection of many conservatives’ desire to both scale back and decentralize the reach of government.

This argument is often tied to the idea that President Obama has overstepped the limits of his authority.

David Boaz, Ben Domenech, Steven Hayward, William Kristol, Yuval Levin, David McIntosh, R.R. Reno, and Glenn Beck.

The most convincing lines making this case:
"He’s effectively vowing to be an American Mussolini, concentrating power in the Trump White House and governing by fiat." —David Boaz, executive vice president of the Cato Institute

"He presents himself as a Strong Man who promises to knock heads and make things right again. In this, he has a lot more in common with South American populist demagogues than with our tradition of political leaders." —R.R. Reno, editor of First Things

Case 3: Trump has engaged in racial demagoguery and xenophobia

In 14 words: Several of the conservatives criticized Trump for exploiting the electorate’s fear of minority groups.

This is probably the argument liberals would find most persuasive. In some cases, the writers call Trump’s controversial proposals on Mexican and Muslim immigration unrealistic and counterproductive.

Who is making this case most strongly: David Boaz, Michael Medved, and Russell Moore.

The most convincing lines making this case: "Trump’s vitriolic — and often racist and sexist — language about immigrants, women, the disabled, and others ought to concern anyone who believes that all persons, not just the ‘winners’ of the moment, are created in God’s image." —Russell Moore, president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention

"Not since George Wallace has there been a presidential candidate who made racial and religious scapegoating so central to his campaign." —David Boaz, executive vice president of the Cato Institute

Case 4: Trump is way too woefully ignorant to be president

In 36 words: Trump has demonstrated no mastery or even basic comprehension of the many complex issues facing the American presidency. That level of ignorance alone is a national security risk that should disqualify him from the Oval Office.

Andrew McCarthy and Mark Helprin.

The most convincing lines making this case:
"Even the casual fan who does not know the players without a scorecard at least knows who the teams are and why they are competing." —Andrew McCarthy, contributing editor of National Review, on Trump's ignorance on foreign policy

"He doesn’t know the Constitution, history, political philosophy, nuclear strategy, diplomacy, defense, economics beyond real estate, or even, despite his low-level-mafioso comportment, how ordinary people live." —Mark Helprin, novelist

Case 5: Trump is just a really bad, evil dude

In 19 words: Trump’s temperament — rather than his support for any particular policy — is what should scare conservatives as much as anything.

John Podhoretz, Mona Charen, Michael Medved, Thomas Sowell, William Kristol, Cal Thomas, and R.R. Reno.

The most convincing lines making this case: "Worst of all, Trump’s brawling, blustery, mean-spirited public persona serves to associate conservatives with all the negative stereotypes that liberals have for decades attached to their opponents on the right." —Michael Medved, radio talk show host

"In any integrated personality, the id is supposed to be balanced by an ego and a superego—by a sense of self that gravitates toward behaving in a mature and responsible way when it comes to serious matters ... Trump is an unbalanced force. He is the politicized American id." —John Podhoretz, editor of Commentary

"The man has demonstrated an emotional immaturity bordering on personality disorder, and it ought to disqualify him from being a mayor, to say nothing of a commander-in-chief." —Mona Charen, senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't know. But the mere mention of her makes some run to post articles about her son. Odd.
She brought her son up and then injected him into the political discussion.

But you probably agree that it's all Obama's fault.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

And all of this has to do with the election somehow? Seems pretty unrelated to me.

Jiggyfly

Banned
And all of this has to do with the election somehow? Seems pretty unrelated to me.
Ask Palin she is the one who injected it and him into the election.

She basically said vote for Trump because he will take care of the troops unlike Obama who has somehow contributed to her son's issues by not doing enough for the troops.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ask Palin she is the one who injected it and him into the election.

She basically said vote for Trump because he will take care of the troops unlike Obama who has somehow contributed to her son's issues by not doing enough for the troops.
:lol

Obama isn't running for President last I knew. And neither is Palin. Again, these are who gives a shit statements by a who gives a shit person. None of it has anything to do with the actual election.

townsend

Banned
I think Palin (like Oprah) has a decent amount of sway with the dumb mom demographic.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

Obama isn't running for President last I knew. And neither is Palin. Again, these are who gives a shit statements by a who gives a shit person. None of it has anything to do with the actual election.
This has been a major news story all week and she is endorsing the Republican frontrunner.

And then Trump said this.

So yeah Trump and her made it part of the election.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Palin (like Oprah) has a decent amount of sway with the dumb mom demographic.
Yeah, I don't get that at all. I mean what has she ever done in her career to garner people to respect her opinion on things? I'm honestly not sure why anyone pays attention when she speaks. Not trying to be mean to Ms. Palin but I don't see a reason why her opinion or what she says should carry any additional then an average Joe's opinion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This has been a major news story all week and she is endorsing the Republican frontrunner.

And then Trump said this.

So yeah Trump and her made it part of the election.
Not sure I heard Trump once mention Obama. If you leave Obama out of it, this isn't even a story. We all know this country has a problem with PTSD. Or at least most of us know that. It's always been a problem as long as wars have existed.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

All she did was endorse Trump. I guess kids of people who endorse candidates are now major news and fair game. It'll be interesting to pick apart the families of those who endorsed Hillary and Sanders.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Investigators: Rep. Alan Grayson served with domestic violence injection.

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — The sheriff's office said U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson won't be charged in connection with a domestic incident involving his wife.
Alan Grayson's wife had accused him of pushing her during an argument over the weekend. An investigation by the Orange County Sheriff's Office determined Alan Grayson did not touch or push his wife. Detectives interviewed two witnesses, including Alan Grayson's son, who both said that Lolita Grayson was the one who became physical, according to an investigative report.
Although he wasn't charged, Alan Grayson was served with a domestic violence injunction filed by Lolita Grayson.
Lolita Grayson filed for divorce in January, and the central Florida Democrat claims he was attempting to visit his children at their Windermere home when the incident occurred.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — The sheriff's office said U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson won't be charged in connection with a domestic incident involving his wife.
Alan Grayson's wife had accused him of pushing her during an argument over the weekend. An investigation by the Orange County Sheriff's Office determined Alan Grayson did not touch or push his wife. Detectives interviewed two witnesses, including Alan Grayson's son, who both said that Lolita Grayson was the one who became physical, according to an investigative report.
Although he wasn't charged, Alan Grayson was served with a domestic violence injunction filed by Lolita Grayson.
Lolita Grayson filed for divorce in January, and the central Florida Democrat claims he was attempting to visit his children at their Windermere home when the incident occurred.
don't know much about this guy, but if his wife became physical first and is claiming he "pushed" her, that seems like she was just trying to get him in trouble. I suppose it's his fault for marrying a bitch named Lolita.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
don't know much about this guy, but if his wife became physical first and is claiming he "pushed" her, that seems like she was just trying to get him in trouble. I suppose it's his fault for marrying a bitch named Lolita.
I don't know anything about his wife, but if you've ever seen/heard Grayson...he's a real arsehole.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

Oooooooooooooo......scathing news.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know anything about his wife, but if you've ever seen/heard Grayson...he's a real arsehole.
I think we are missing the point which is that just because someone supports a candidate doesn't make that person relevant.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think we are missing the point which is that just because someone supports a candidate doesn't make that person relevant.
Actually that was my point. Kind of dumb to go omg!!! about someone who happens to endorse a candidate. But hey, let's just fill this thread up with news regarding people who endorse candidates. I really couldn't care less about who endorses who. But apparently leftist still get their panties in a twist over Palin for some reason.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I agree with the fact that she should be relevant but having been a candidate for the vice presidency and a very controversial one still moves the needle. If Joe Lieberman did something crazy it might still be news. I know that creepy fucker Edwards that was Kerry's running mate made news by having some pussy on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom