Final Game Report Cards

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are two different infractions. Could've had 10 men in the huddle and this would've been called still.

All the same we could run 40 players onto the field in a no-huddle offense, lineup all 40 and suddenly run 29 players off the field right before the snap. This would be the 15-yarder without even having a huddle.

And, yes, you've never seen this penalty before because only the Cowboys are this mindnumbingly stupid.
So you've never seen a player run on the field and then run back off it? I've seen that many times. Just never seen it called an unsportsmanlike. Because it's clearly inadvertent.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So you've never seen a player run on the field and then run back off it? I've seen that many times. Just never seen it called an unsportsmanlike. Because it's clearly inadvertent.
That's the point I have been trying to make. I'm not entirely sure this penalty has ever been called before. I know for a fact that I have never seen it called an unsportsmanlike.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Okay, let me say it again. Maybe if I type slower it will sink in. I have seen the 5 yarder for too many men in the huddle called before. I have never seen it called an unsportsmanlike penalty with 15 yards marched off before. And, I doubt you have either.
It's not the same penalty. Too many men in the huddle is the 5 yard variety and it is triggered when a player checks in and attends the huddle but the party he is replacing stays in the huddle. This constitutes too many in the huddle even though the one getting replaced finally leaves the field.

The Butler penalty was when he checked on to the field but left without participating in a play.

Totally different circumstances and penalty assessments.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Simply put, a bullshit call. Utterly ridiculous.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Simply put, a bullshit call. Utterly ridiculous.
It's part of the rules and it was violated by Butler's appearence on the field after checking in then leaving without participating in a play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Butler penalty was when he checked on to the field but left without participating in a play.
What you're describing is exactly what I have seen called for too many men in the huddle. Guy comes in, gets waived off and goes back to the sideline. Refs call it for too many men in the huddle 5 yards. So apparently the refs don't know the rule either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What you're describing is exactly what I have seen called for too many men in the huddle. Guy comes in, gets waived off and goes back to the sideline. Refs call it for too many men in the huddle 5 yards. So apparently the refs don't know the rule either.
They are different penalties. In a too many men in a huddle the person checking in stays on the field for the next play. The one checking out stayed until the huddle broke then left the field. That made 12 men attending the huddle.

In Butlers case he checked in then left without participating in a play. You cannot check in then leave without participating in a play.

Cotton

Staff member
I can't tell you how many times I have seen a player enter the field of play, get almost to the huddle and then turn around and run back to the sidelines. According the rule book he doesn't actually have to be in the huddle for this 15 yarder to be called. It is just never called. So, it's curious to me that it was called last night.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I can't tell you how many times I have seen a player enter the field of play, get almost to the huddle and then turn around and run back to the sidelines. According the rule book he doesn't actually have to be in the huddle for this 15 yarder to be called. It is just never called. So, it's curious to me that it was called last night.
It's a matter of checking in and if they did then left it should be called.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are different penalties. In a too many men in a huddle the person checking in stays on the field for the next play. The one checking out stayed until the huddle broke then left the field. That made 12 men attending the huddle.

In Butlers case he checked in then left without participating in a play. You cannot check in then leave without participating in a play.
So if he stays on the field and plays with 12 men on offense, it's a five yard penalty. But by getting him off the field before the play it becomes 15 yards? What kind of sense does that make?

Cotton

Staff member
It's a matter of checking in and if they did then left it should be called.
Yet I have never once seen it called, yet seen players make it almost all the way to the huddle before turning around and running off the field.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I can't address whether penalties are called or not called by the refs. I am just relating what I understand the difference is in a 5 yarder and 15 yarder.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So if he stays on the field and plays with 12 men on offense, it's a five yard penalty. But by getting him off the field before the play it becomes 15 yards? What kind of sense does that make?
That's not what I said. One player will leave the field. It just can't be the one that checked in without participating.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But if the other guy leaves, there wouldn't be a penalty at all.
That's right. That would mean the incoming party stayed and the one being replaced left. That would be within league rules as long as both didn't attend and remain in the huddle.

2233boys

Not So New Member
In almost 40 years of watching football I've never seen it called. My wife pointed out that on the next Drive TE Rogers for the Packers did the same thing. Not sure he left the field though, my wife was hot.

Cotton

Staff member
But if the other guy leaves, there wouldn't be a penalty at all.
And, how does that make any sense? I mean, the deception would be there either way, so how is one a penalty and the other one not? I have looked up the rule and the penalty was legit. I'm just saying the penalty doesn't make any sense and is rarely if ever called. Seems funny to me it was called out of the blue yesterday.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
He had a 72% catch rate this year, so I can't judge him by a single play. Hell, I think he sets up a TD if Butlers unsportsmanlike conduct doesn't happen.
Don't care what the players did in the regular season, the drop cost us.

Meanwhile how many drops did the Packers "scrub" WRs have? Like 1 the entire game?

Give me any one of those scrubs over the body catcher.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
In almost 40 years of watching football I've never seen it called. My wife pointed out that on the next Drive TE Rogers for the Packers did the same thing. Not sure he left the field though, my wife was hot.
That's what irritated me the most. It was a definite drive killer and the refs turned a blind eye to damn near everything the Packers did yesterday.

The fact that was a 15 yard penalty was fucking ridiculous.

midswat

... soon
Guys stfu about that penalty. Christ.

Top Bottom