Coach Firing/Hiring Thread...

D

Deuce

Apparently Lovie hasn't been wanted around for a while.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
As what? LB coach? Sure. But I'm sure he can swing a DC job pretty easily.
I think realistically he'd have to be sort of like a consultant with some bs title. And he'd have to not have any HC offers. I'm not sure he'd be even willing to go back to being a DC at this point.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Payton staying in New Orleans for another year is pretty big news. He would be the best available candidate were he available and with two NFC East teams looking for a HC, it's nice that he isn't. I still think the Giants/Eagles need vast personnel upgrades before Payton could really make any headway there but it's nice that they won't even have the opportunity to go after him.

And then of course there is the fact that there is a very good chance that Garrett is gone following the 2016 season and that Payton will be even more available.
This is the last year of Payton’s contract.

Free agent in 2017.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not interested in Lovie. We have pretty much everything he is capable of already in Marinelli running the D here.

D

Deuce

Not interested in Lovie. We have pretty much everything he is capable of already in Marinelli running the D here.
As much as I dislike Garrett, I agree. Whatever Lovie can bring is already here. We need someone who can make smart decisions on the offensive side of the ball.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
As much as I dislike Garrett, I agree. Whatever Lovie can bring is already here. We need someone who can make smart decisions on the offensive side of the ball.
ABG - Anyone but Garrett

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Apparently the rumor is they are afraid of losing Dirk Koetter if they don't promote him.

I wonder if Smith would take a job in Dallas.
They obviously feel keeping Koetter is more important for Jameis and the team. Too bad for Lovie though. Only 2 seasons and 1 with a rookie QB. They faltered down the stretch losing their last 4 despite 3 easy opponents. But they would've still missed the playoffs even if they won 3 of the last 4 and still would've probably made the move if they are so afraid of losing Koetter.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I know changing HC's too much, like the Browns and Bucs with 3 or 4 new HC's in 6 years, isn't a recipe for success. But I do envy some of the teams that at least try to get better by hiring a better HC instead of just sticking with mediocrity like Jerry does so he can be comfortable.

arcticdiesel

Why the hell would a team want anything to do with a former Lions GM?? Or anyone with any ties to the Lions..

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bucs also canned Leslie Frazier.
I wonder if he would be interested at all in coming and coaching the DBs. That's where his roots are and he used to be a really good defensive back coach. Could probably help with some of the general defensive coordinator duties as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know changing HC's too much, like the Browns and Bucs with 3 or 4 new HC's in 6 years, isn't a recipe for success. But I do envy some of the teams that at least try to get better by hiring a better HC instead of just sticking with mediocrity like Jerry does so he can be comfortable.
Yeah you have to strike a balance. Because churning coaches every year will result in nothing but failure. At the same time sticking with the wrong coach every year will also result in nothing but failure. I mean even Bill Belichick looked like a mediocre coach for a few years with the Browns.

Cotton

Staff member
Report: Adam Gase doesn’t have second interview with Eagles yet

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 7, 2016, 1:05 PM EST

Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase was reported to have a second interview lined up with the Eagles.

Unless he doesn’t.

According to Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com, the Eagles do not have another interview planned with Gase, contrary to a NFL Network report.

(It’s almost like teams don’t appreciate the network they’re paying for reporting certain things.)

The CSNPhilly.com report said no second interviews have been planned with any of their candidates so far.

Ultimately, this could be semantics and timing, if Gase ends up in Philadelphia at some point soon to talk with the Eagles again. But as they continue to interview guys, it’s clear they don’t want to create the impression they’ve already narrowed down their search.

They’re still talking to candidates, and this report suggests it could be the end of next week before they regroup and start scheduling more in-depth interviews with their finalists.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he's signed through the 17-18 season.
I read a Tweet this morning that said he had an opt out or something after 2016. But yeah, articles from when he was extended says it runs through 2017.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why the hell would a team want anything to do with a former Lions GM?? Or anyone with any ties to the Lions..
They are the Titans, dude. Hell they are keeping a ham and egger head coach in Mike Mularkey for crissakes.

Top Bottom