George: Cowboys Could Coach A Senior Bowl Team For First Time In 50 years

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The bad part of Dallas coaching in the Senior Bowl is knowing them they will probably zero in on players that played in the game or just on their team in the draft. I really hope they don't have Connor Cook as their QB in that game.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Don't ruin those kids with our coaching, please.
:lol I was thinking "Great, they'll cause kids' draft stock to plummet and stunt the growth of whatever football talent they have."

dallen

Senior Tech
The bad part of Dallas coaching in the Senior Bowl is knowing them they will probably zero in on players that played in the game or just on their team in the draft. I really hope they don't have Connor Cook as their QB in that game.
It should help in the later rounds.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Carson Wentz is interesting. Wouldn't surprise to see him go from a guy considered a 2nd-3rd rounder and then by draft day shoot all the way up to the top 5, a la Philip Rivers.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Carson Wentz is interesting. Wouldn't surprise to see him go from a guy considered a 2nd-3rd rounder and then by draft day shoot all the way up to the top 5, a la Philip Rivers.
He is considered a lock 2nd rounder end of the 1st guy now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's exactly what I've been saying, if he has a big Senior Bowl week and game I could easily see him shooting up to the top 10-15 or so. He has a big arm, as big as Lynch or Goff, he's more athletic than Goff, at least as athletic as Lynch and has produced reasonably well, including a game-winning drive to win the FCS Championship last year. He also seems to be the model student/teammate/hard-working type and it looked to me like the 2015 offense that he played in was more pro-style than what Goff and Lynch were in.

The big questions with him are the level of competition (although I think his best game of the year came against Northern Iowa who has a CB who likely goes in the first 3-4 rounds) and the small sample size of games, he's basically only played a season+6 games. If he comes out and kills it against a bunch of guys from Power 5 conferences at the Senior Bowl after barely playing/practicing for 3 months I think it will make alot of those questions go away and he could easily rise to the point that we are considering him at 4.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I have a hard time investing a high round pick in a QB from North Dakota State.

Look at some of these weaknesses.

STRENGTHS: Looks the part with a tall, workable frame. Good arm strength to deliver downfield with required velocity. Tight release, especially for a player with his long arms. Shifts his weight well in the pocket to work through the noise and keep his hand on the trigger, maneuvering under duress with improved footwork.
Functional athleticism and coordination in the pocket and as a scrambler, avoiding rushers and extending plays. Has a pre-snap plan and moves efficiently from target-to-target, making sound decisions. Shows the ability to recognize defensive coverages and change the play at the line ? reliable field vision pre and post snap.

Very smart on and off the field with excellent retention and execution skills. Physically and mentally tough with professional poise and work habits. Great teammate and was an extra coach on the sideline while injured. Set school single season records for completions (228) and passing yards (3,111) as a junior. Consistent winner with a 19-3 career record as a starter.

WEAKNESSES: Locks onto reads and needs to develop his eye use, staring down targets and leading defenders. Needs to improve his passing anticipation and feel for timing routes. Downfield accuracy is inconsistent, often leading receivers too far.

Bad habit of pre-determining throws and forcing the ball into tight coverage. Needs to understand when the play is over and throw the ball away (10 fumbles the last two years). On the move too much, even with a clean pocket, and will attempt throws without setting his base or coming to balance.

Lacks ideal starting experience for the position with questions about level of competition ? 21 of 22 career starts came against FCS competition (one FBS opponent was at Iowa State: 18-for-28 for 204 yards, no touchdowns). Missed second half of 2015 season due to a broken right wrist, requiring surgery (Oct. 2015).

IN OUR VIEW: Although his internal clock needs maturing, Wentz performs well within structure, but can also improvise when the play breaks down, stretching out his legs to pick up chunk yardage if it?s there (949 career rushing yards). He possesses a NFL-style skill-set with his size, athleticism and arm talent, including the field vision to work through reads and make sound decisions. Wentz ideally needs a redshirt rookie season in the NFL, but will be the top senior quarterback on several NFL draft boards.

--Dane Brugler (12/21/15)

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm becoming more convinced that the #1 key to success -- by far -- at QB is quick decision making.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm becoming more convinced that the #1 key to success -- by far -- at QB is quick decision making.
No question about it. A great arm sounds nice but a QB has to be able to see the field and make decisions quickly. A QB who is great at this seems to all but negate the pass rush.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That is true, although I think some of that can be built into the design of the passing game. I think the offenses ran by guys like Alex Smith, Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins are designed to get the ball out of the QB's hands with short, efficient, low risk throws, with a few calculated risks taken each game with deep shots.

On the flip side a guy like Cam Newton seems to stare down WR's a bit and isn't the quickest decision maker but he has such a rocket arm that he fits the ball into tight windows. Of course his completion % has always hovered around 60, usually below it, and is only 58.6% this year in a possible MVP season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That is what made Romo so good. He was able to scan the entire field and release the ball very quickly when he made that decision.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The coaching matchup for the 2016 Senior Bowl, held Jan. 30 in Mobile, Ala., has been confirmed.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones revealed on Wednesday night that the Cowboys coaching staff would work one sideline of the game this year. On Thursday, Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage confirmed in a radio interview that the Jacksonville Jaguars will coach the other, and an official announcement also was made on the Senior Bowl's Twitter account.

The Cowboys will coach the North team and the Jaguars with coach the South team. The Senior Bowl will announce the rosters on Friday, Jan. 22.

Senior Bowl week runs Tuesday, Jan. 26 through Thursday, Jan. 28 with the game scheduled for 1:30 p.m. (Central) Saturday, Jan. 30 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

--------------------------
Great news. This means we'll be getting to work with Carson Wentz all week and in the game. And if anybody wants a sneak peek at Wentz, the NDSU Bison go for their 5th straight FCS championship tomorrow, and it sounds like Wentz will get the start. He hasn't played since breaking his wrist Oct. 17th.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The coaching matchup for the 2016 Senior Bowl, held Jan. 30 in Mobile, Ala., has been confirmed.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones revealed on Wednesday night that the Cowboys coaching staff would work one sideline of the game this year. On Thursday, Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage confirmed in a radio interview that the Jacksonville Jaguars will coach the other, and an official announcement also was made on the Senior Bowl's Twitter account.

The Cowboys will coach the North team and the Jaguars with coach the South team. The Senior Bowl will announce the rosters on Friday, Jan. 22.

Senior Bowl week runs Tuesday, Jan. 26 through Thursday, Jan. 28 with the game scheduled for 1:30 p.m. (Central) Saturday, Jan. 30 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

--------------------------
Great news. This means we'll be getting to work with Carson Wentz all week and in the game. And if anybody wants a sneak peek at Wentz, the NDSU Bison go for their 5th straight FCS championship tomorrow, and it sounds like Wentz will get the start. He hasn't played since breaking his wrist Oct. 17th.

Yeah, I see he will start tomorrow. Jacksonville State was preparing like that all week, so it sounds like his wrist has not been a bad break like you would think.

Do they actually split the rosters across North/South lines though?

I remember back in the past with the old "Blue/Grey" all-star games they did.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, I see he will start tomorrow. Jacksonville State was preparing like that all week, so it sounds like his wrist has not been a bad break like you would think.

Do they actually split the rosters across North/South lines though?

I remember back in the past with the old "Blue/Grey" all-star games they did.
Oh, shit. I don't know. Guess I never thought of that. I was just thinking he'd automatically be on the North team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Oh, shit. I don't know. Guess I never thought of that. I was just thinking he'd automatically be on the North team.
I don't know either.

Just taking a quick look at the 2015 rosters, the "North" has players from Florida. With a lot of west coast teams on it.

The "South" roster seemed like it, but then you would would see a Fresno State player on it.

It appears they try to do it to a degree and have to balance.

If we don't get Wentz, well, then I have to assume dickage

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If we don't get Wentz, well, then I have to assume dickage
Yeah but the problem is, is that Connor Cook is also from the North region, and he's the other Senior starting QB, right?

Fuck.

Now I'm pissed.

Top Bottom